Parents of the Class of 2019

DS and DD go back this Monday (if she gets to fly in tomorrow). If not I'll run DS back Monday and DD will drive herself Tuesday. Hopefully DS eyeglasses pieces are in Monday and one more hair cut then away they should go.

We just returned from a snowmobile trip, it was cold -7 but good snow to ride in.

DS for classes needs to get a homework/student program going for himself.!! He will need to get all books and Chem googles and lab coat purchased.

I just paid for both years semesters for them. And I am going to hand DD the check for both their dorms fee, 3rd payment to hand it in.

He wants to stay in same dorm next year with lowest meal plan offered. He saved $100 to spend each month. And he was ok staying in that limit. For calc 2 he barely passed-so the plan is: calc 1 now, calc 2 here summer community college and calc 3 there. He could go on to calc 3 now- he said I need to know it for my future job so he is willing to start at calc 1.

DD has 2 peeps with her now that got D in math and they went on to the next math class with her for civil engineering, I tell myself to treat them the same- if DD had done bad first year; she would of cried and we would of said its hard and it's ok. I remember first semester she did get 1 C and she said she didn't deserve Xmas presents.

I thought college would be easy for me- them grown up- and doing what they need to do. Hmmm not yet.

I had so much fun doing the Halloween care packages we all talked about here. Anyone have great ideas for Valentine's Day??

Hope your kids are all enjoying their winter breaks. DS got his wisdom teeth out yesterday and he's not feeling great today. He didn't sleep much last night and was really nauseous when he got up this morning. He's supposed to take his meds with food, but couldn't keep food down. Luckily, he was able to take a couple of naps this morning and that helped the nausea. He's now happily eating mashed potatoes and was able to take his meds.
DD is still trying to get over her cold/flu, so she's been bundled up in a blanket pretty much since the New Year.
DS is sick now as well - strep throat. :(

It is a shame so many of the kids were sick over break. DD was too, but she took it in stride with the attitude that it was better to be sick at home than sick at school.

The couple of sick days aside, it ended up being a nice break. She didn't have as much time to catch up with friends as she would have liked, but she did see the few she's really close with. And she got here in time to see DD11 in her play and join us in cutting a tree (which we left for the last minute because of said play - 7 shows a week didn't leave much time for holiday prep!). She was SO bored being back in a small town after months in SF, but at the same time was waffling a little over her plan not to come home next summer because she would have liked more time with some of her friends. Go figure. :confused3 She's decided she's going to go ahead with applying, knowing they only take on 6 interns a year, and leave it up to the universe whether or not she comes home over the summer.

We made a nice family vacation of sending her home, flying into L.A. and renting a car to drive up the coast to take DH to some of the places we visited in August when we moved her in, including Disneyland. And he finally got to see her dorm, campus, and where she works so I think he's a bit more comfortable with her being in the "big city" now.

I had so much fun doing the Halloween care packages we all talked about here. Anyone have great ideas for Valentine's Day??

I haven't given it any thought yet, but I really should. She loved the Halloween package my mom sent and the exam week box I sent, so I do want to do something for Valentines Day. I found a company that ships Michigan cider and donuts overnight anywhere in the continental U.S., so I may do that. DD was over the moon that we waited to cut our Christmas tree until after she got home so she could have fresh cider and donuts even though she missed apple picking season.

Dd leaves today to go back today, she is excited an happy to go back an honestly I’m glad she is this way an not sad . I am sad but I’m not letting her know that. I loved having her home. Fortunately she did not get sick over the break but she did in fact wreck her 16 yr old car driving in the rain she is fine but the car is not. Can’t wait to see ideas about Valentines care packages

Sorry, no care package ideas , I see her often enough that I don't send her anything!

DD did not get in Into the Woods and she's actually relieved. Constant theatre has been a drain on her.

Her BF, a senior, has decided on the college that gave him a football scholarship. They will be 5 hours apart and he won't be able to come home during fall especially. She's going to have a really hard time with that.

DS is sick :(

His friends actually took him to the ER in the middle of the night. The nurse called me and said it's just a nasty stomach bug. They gave him fluids and anti-nausea meds, and he's back at the dorm now. But he's still pretty miserable, and wishes he was really home.

This sending them off on their own stuff is hard.

Oh no! I'm sorry about the sick kid. I think that is the worst part -- when they're sick or upset and you're far away.

I drove DS back yesterday. I think he enjoyed his time at home but he seemed excited to see his school friends and excited about the upcoming semester. I will definitely miss him, but it certainly makes it easier to know that he wasn't dreading it.

Classes start today and he should be in his first one now. Here's hoping for a great semester for all of our kids.

Oh, I'm doing just chocolates and other treats in a plastic heart, if I can find such a thing. Yep, the pumpkin was shared with the floor, though the favorite candy was taken out before sharing, I am sure. Both her and her roommate like the same candy, so that's what I will buy to go into the treat bag/heart. Did send her a treat box from a company that delivers to her school for exams week. I am sure some of it was shared, as none of the boxes had everything I know my picky DD would eat. So yeah, thinking of a Valentine stuff to send.

His friends actually took him to the ER in the middle of the night. The nurse called me and said it's just a nasty stomach bug. They gave him fluids and anti-nausea meds, and he's back at the dorm now. But he's still pretty miserable, and wishes he was really home.

Hope he's better soon!

Hope he's better soon!

Thanks. He's improved some today. He just texted a few minutes ago that he kept some food down, and he sent DH a game invitation on, so he's perking up. I'm hopeful that he'll sleep better and feel OK tomorrow.

I've got a care package almost ready to go as well - makes me feel like I'm helping somehow.

Oh no! That must have been so scary for him and for you! I'm so glad to read your subsequent post that he's doing better.

Fingers crossed, DD is likely coming home this weekend with brother (who now lives in the same town) for my husbands birthday and for the Super Bowl! I honestly never thought my kids would get to experience the home town team in a Super Bowl. It's been 50 years after all. You do tend to lose the faith after what, a few decades? :laughing:

DD doesn't care about football, but couldn't resist having pizza and wings with the family. She's trying to get her work shifts covered.

Oh no! That must have been so scary for him and for you! I'm so glad to read your subsequent post that he's doing better.

Unfortunately, I think it was the "feel a little better during the day, but still feel crumby at night" thing when you're first recovering. He kind of backslid some last night.

I'm waiting to hear from him this morning and see how he feels now. - I'm off today and fighting the urge to just drive up: On the one hand, I really want to comfort him, on the other I know he's a grown-up and needs to develop confidence that he can handle these things.

Unfortunately, I think it was the "feel a little better during the day, but still feel crumby at night" thing when you're first recovering. He kind of backslid some last night.

I'm waiting to hear from him this morning and see how he feels now. - I'm off today and fighting the urge to just drive up: On the one hand, I really want to comfort him, on the other I know he's a grown-up and needs to develop confidence that he can handle these things.
I'm sorry. I guess it makes sense he felt worse in the night again. I'd have a hard time not going to see him in person.

@PollyannaMom how far is it? My DD21 needed her mom this weekend...not sick but totally frustrated with her remote job. We went up (1 hour drive), gave her Tylenol, encouragement & advice, and a good meal :) She really appreciated it.

DD18 Facetimed last night to work on her resume. When she recently applied to renew a scholarship, the place sent her back an AmeriCorps job opportunity that is basically her dream job and super experience for her major. She's all excited but first of all, they want April-October which won't work being in school. Second of all, if they agree to a shortened schedule and hire her, it is 50 miles from our house. Of course she might not get it but I can't help but worry about whether we would let her put 500 miles a week on her Jeep, or be able to figure out some other arrangement!

Ugh... 2 suspected cases of Wuhan virus are being investigated at my son's university. Apparently symptoms and travel history make it a probability, but they're still waiting for the official test results.

It says that both students (roommates it sounds like) are isolated in their off-campus housing while results are pending. So that sounds like it's 1) not in the dorms; 2) not freshmen (since freshmen and most sophomores are required to live in the dorms.) Yesterday was the first day of classes, so hopefully they can get a handle on things before they spread farther. But... blah!

Ugh... 2 suspected cases of Wuhan virus are being investigated at my son's university. Apparently symptoms and travel history make it a probability, but they're still waiting for the official test results.

It says that both students (roommates it sounds like) are isolated in their off-campus housing while results are pending. So that sounds like it's 1) not in the dorms; 2) not freshmen (since freshmen and most sophomores are required to live in the dorms.) Yesterday was the first day of classes, so hopefully they can get a handle on things before they spread farther. But... blah!
I’m really worried about this. UD has a huge study abroad program (the reason why the spring semester starts 2/10). At least dd is in a freshman dorm, kids less likely to travel.

I’m really worried about this. UD has a huge study abroad program (the reason why the spring semester starts 2/10). At least dd is in a freshman dorm, kids less likely to travel.

Yes. DS's school also has an extra-long winter break with lots of study abroad opportunities. And they have a large population of international students, especially from China. With the break being so long, I think a lot of them went home. DS has at least one student in his corridor from China (but who isn't back yet due to travel restrictions), and there's an 'international student LLC' in a nearby dorm. They share the same dining hall.

I just keep trying to remind myself that, like regular flu, most people recover just fine... and he's generally in good health. I also keep reminding DS to wash his hands often; don't touch his face; and try not to touch anything he doesn't have to touch!

how far is it? My DD21 needed her mom this weekend...not sick but totally frustrated with her remote job. We went up (1 hour drive), gave her Tylenol, encouragement & advice, and a good meal :) She really appreciated it.

2.5 hours - We have gone up for a "bonus parents' weekend" before, but I'm going to hold off for now. I heard from him since my last post and he's feeling much better, so he's busy catching up on work.

@design_mom, :hug: It seems there's always something to worry about.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!