Parents of the Class of 2019

"sorry for the inconvenience. You'll need to start a new one." I'm not sure if they expire if you don't submit them within a certain amount of time or what, but it's gone!

In good news, it was easier the second time through but ... UGH! This time, I submitted it immediately.

So painful! Glad it's in and done, though.

DD is 18 today-she was out of bed early and off to meet a friend for breakfast before school and has dinner plans after school. Guess this is a good preview of next year when she'll really not be at home versus it just seeming like it :)

DS got his first two "big envelopes" today!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

I can't text the grandparents because he wants to tell them himself, so you guys are my outlet. :laughing:
Exciting!

My DS called his aunt in MO to tell her he got into MO S&T but his MA aunt who he told about 10 prior had already told her.:P

He got his big envelope from MO S&T and found out it is NOT direct admit to his major. We will likely still visit but need to find out the admission process to his major-it might be a deal breaker for him.

My daughter didn't get a large envelope, but did get a small one in the mail Saturday that she was pretty excited about. It confirmed that her last ACT qualified her for Bright Flight at Mizzou. Between that and the bump in the automatic scholarship, that last single point increased her scholarship by $5K/year. She now has most of the tuition covered.

My fickle "don't shop more than 2 weeks before Christmas" daughter appears to be very settled on the single school she applied to! Tables are turned. Now I keep trying to convince her to apply at some other schools, maybe a smaller one for comparison, but she's holding firm.
What great news!

I'm still working on DS about Eagle Scout project - will get him $2,500/year at FL Tech (might be his top choice now but he's not in yet...).

Is anybody buying college stuff for Christmas? Looking back, DD20's senior year Christmas list was a lot of college stuff- but she knew she would be in apartment style living and need a shower curtain, decor, chair, kitchen stuff, etc. Other than an XL twin bedding set, I'm drawing a blank on what DD17 can use in a more typical dorm setting. We already have a big watercolor map tapestry for the wall, and she put some fairy lights on her list.
I got DS (and older DD) Amazon Echo Spots-little bigger than the Dots-have a small clock face screen. Also have a much better speaker than Dots. I'm hoping he'll use it as an alarm clock. I bought him a foam mattress pad at target on clearance a month or so ago but my youngest said I couldn't give it to him as a Christmas gift.....

Is anybody buying college stuff for Christmas? Looking back, DD20's senior year Christmas list was a lot of college stuff- but she knew she would be in apartment style living and need a shower curtain, decor, chair, kitchen stuff, etc. Other than an XL twin bedding set, I'm drawing a blank on what DD17 can use in a more typical dorm setting. We already have a big watercolor map tapestry for the wall, and she put some fairy lights on her list.

I'm buying college stuff but not dorm stuff, since we don't know where she's going to end up yet (and even within her top choice school, there's a HUGE variation among dorms). She's getting a new convertible laptop, since her current computer was a Christmas gift in 6th grade and has definitely seen better days, and a nice case, mouse and stylus to go with it. And I got a string of fairy lights with photo clips for her to hang her Polaroids, which I'm sure will end up hanging in her dorm (along with a lot of the Pinterest-explosion decor in her bedroom). But I'm holding off on sheets and throw rugs and all the rest until we know more about her housing arrangements for fall. Fortunately, she's a summer birthday so between graduation and birthday gifts, we'll have plenty of occasion to give her dorm essentials later.

Since DD has been in private schools since 6th grade, a lot of what she's getting for Christmas is just non-uniform clothes. And that's sort of college related, because it has been a very long time since she needed a full wardrobe worth of fall/winter clothes. We did some sweaters-and-jeans shopping on Black Friday as part of her Christmas gift from DH & I.

Sort of. DS loves my "you are here" mugs from Starbucks at WDW and said (jokingly....I think?) a couple of times that he will be taking the purple MK one and the HS one with the green aliens with him when he goes to college. I had a co-worker get another set of those when she was at WDW in Sept and am giving them to him for Christmas. I love the kid, but he is NOT taking my mugs! (or my Keurig, but we'll get that later on).

Last edited:

Not for Christmas but I think I have all the boring bathroom stuff, towels, wash clothes, shower curtain. I have the thin hangers. I have the bedding including bed topper thingy for the bed. I do not has bug protector for the bed. I just got a basically plain blue warm throw for the bed.

Nothing really yet since where she goes is so up in the air. We are getting her a couple of things like hiking poles for a driving trip she has planned for next summer after graduation with some friends to go visit some national parks. They've got an itinerary for 2 weeks and it will involve camping. We'll see how well that comes together! Once she's made a decision, then she can go onto that school's social media site for incoming freshmen and find a roommate to request, THEN we can start looking at what they'll need.

DD would love a new MacBook for college. She'll get a free Dell laptop from the college that you have during the school year but she's so used to Apple now she thinks she's not impressed. Don't know that we'll spring for a MacBook though between now and then! I'm inclined to wait and see how she gets along with the free one. As my sister pointed out, that way any technical issues you have, the college takes care of it.

We do know what building she'll be in but not which type of suite. Guess I'll wait on dorm stuff too.

I am not buying anything for Christmas for the dorm. I did it for my older DD. Although it was nice to spread out the cost, it was annoying to have to store everything for so long. I’m sure I will regret this come the summer when we’re going crazy trying to get everything together. I did start a college registry on the Bed Bath & Beyond website so we can ship to store to make things easier.

Well I always bought the $100 gift cards from target with the 10% off this Sunday , and then change them to Disney gift cards to pay my DVC dues but you can no longer do that. So I am thinking about buying one $100 gift card and then I will have that to finish up DS dorm room.

I do not have the red card 5% off I was one of the customers that checking account was compromised and had to go to the bank and change all that and that was way too much work for 5% off .

Well I always bought the $100 gift cards from target with the 10% off this Sunday , and then change them to Disney gift cards to pay my DVC dues but you can no longer do that. So I am thinking about buying one $100 gift card and then I will have that to finish up DS dorm room.

I do not have the red card 5% off I was one of the customers that checking account was compromised and had to go to the bank and change all that and that was way too much work for 5% off .

I cancelled mine when all that happened too.

Is everybody done with college applications? I know a lot of your kids have been receiving acceptances already.

DS crossed one college off his list of schools he's applying to, so he has four applications in and three to go. Two of them use the common app, so he just has the supplementary stuff for those and one doesn't use the common app, so he's saving that for last. He says the two supplements should be done by the end of this week and then he'll get working in the last one. I can't wait for this to be over!

Is everybody done with college applications? I know a lot of your kids have been receiving acceptances already.

DS crossed one college off his list of schools he's applying to, so he has four applications in and three to go. Two of them use the common app, so he just has the supplementary stuff for those and one doesn't use the common app, so he's saving that for last. He says the two supplements should be done by the end of this week and then he'll get working in the last one. I can't wait for this to be over!

We still would like him to apply to Virginia Tech, but I don't think he's going to. We have until January 15th to decide on RIT, so we're waiting for the last two or three schools to come back - hoping that two of them are early next week,

She’s re-thinking northeastern, and has just reaches left (johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Princeton (ha ha), and then I guess it’s time for scholarship applications. She knows people at her top three and would like to visit on some weekends in the dorms.

DS is still working on two applications. I wish he would just finish them up. I read one of the essays this weekend. It's a generic "tell us something we don't know from your application." He wrote about how being a redhead has affected his life. It was very good! He also just got a letter yesterday from one school giving him another $2500/year as a "top scholar" which brings that school's total offer to $31,500 each year (bringing the price tag into a much more reasonable range). Too bad it's not high up on his list of choices!! He also got a letter from the XC/track coach at one of his top choices. This just made DH and I laugh a little because although yes, he's run for four years and is a captain this year, he is not a top athlete and we just don't see him running in college other than in a club sport. Plus I would rather he concentrate on his studies because college sports is such a big time commitment. So, that's our update. Applied to four, accepted at two, working on two more.

DS is still working on two applications. I wish he would just finish them up. I read one of the essays this weekend. It's a generic "tell us something we don't know from your application." He wrote about how being a redhead has affected his life. It was very good! He also just got a letter yesterday from one school giving him another $2500/year as a "top scholar" which brings that school's total offer to $31,500 each year (bringing the price tag into a much more reasonable range). Too bad it's not high up on his list of choices!! He also got a letter from the XC/track coach at one of his top choices. This just made DH and I laugh a little because although yes, he's run for four years and is a captain this year, he is not a top athlete and we just don't see him running in college other than in a club sport. Plus I would rather he concentrate on his studies because college sports is such a big time commitment. So, that's our update. Applied to four, accepted at two, working on two more.
Lol at least it’s a school he’s interested in. Dd is getting letters and calls from D3 schools, made varsity as a freshman, faster female at our school, xc/track captain, but her PB is 21.28, many minutes slower than D1 runners. We then figured it was test scores, and not athletics

DD still has 2 applications outstanding, one is a reach, and "just because", the other is a reach from a money standpoint, but she'll probably be accepted. She's so burned out on applications with all of the regular apps, then honors colleges or scholarships, plus testing with the ACTs and SAT subject tests that I know she'll be happy when Christmas rolls around and they're all in. Then it will just be a matter of deciding which outside scholarships she wants to apply for and how much effort to put into it.

For example, we're descendants of a passenger on the Mayflower (along with millions of others!), and there is a scholarship for that, but it's only $1,600, and only for one year, and they want 7 or 8 different things for the application, including principal referral, counselor referral, teacher referral, an essay, copies of test scores and transcripts, plus documentation of HOW your descended from the Mayflower, ultimately, the money just isn't worth the effort for her. I can see how those who are scrambling to try and get all of the money they can would do it, but she's got a great offer from Alabama, so can always fall back on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter