Parents of the Class of 2019

DS & I did accepted student day at FL Tech. DS had visited in Sept before he applied with DH but I had never seen campus. Campus was beautiful. Weather was perfect. DS could see himself there but something didn’t quite click with him. Hoping things click at Clarkson when we go there the week after next.

Like everyone else we are ready to have decision made.

Things done in the last week:

Prom dress hemmed
Corsage/boutonierre ordered
Senior picture photobook made & ordered
Grad invites made & ordered
Reception decor color scheme decided
Invitation list made
First local scholarship won

Next week she is turning in a summer job app, more scholarships, and we are going shopping for decorations.
Getting stuff accomplished!

Just when we thought everything was settled... DD was accepted to the University of Virginia!! It was a "reach for the moon" school!! We are incredibly proud of her.

Then we ran numbers and were like "nope" so it's off to UF!! DD is fine with it- UVA was never her first choice... she saw the numbers ...and while she continues to be under the impression that if she wants something it magically appears... even she understands that $64,000 a year isn't going to buy a necessarily better education. I mean it might but I'm not willing to place that bet!!

Yep, my DD did the same thing too, Thiabelle.

She wanted to go to a private university near the public one she was both accepted to. We also ran the numbers, and she agreed would get the same undergrad experience at almost half the price, at the public one.

So, DD is college bound in August. Cannot believe it. She is my youngest.

And yes, prom dress bought. Our school does prom at end of May, so no hurry yet, to do the minor alteration to the hem.

Yep, my DD did the same thing too, Thiabelle.

She wanted to go to a private university near the public one she was both accepted to. We also ran the numbers, and she agreed would get the same undergrad experience at almost half the price, at the public one.

So, DD is college bound in August. Cannot believe it. She is my youngest.

And yes, prom dress bought. Our school does prom at end of May, so no hurry yet, to do the minor alteration to the hem.
Lol going out shopping this morning. Although we have local places (including promgirl) we are heading an hour south because Dd was not successful yet. We have different ideas of what the dress should look like, but this store requires a parent be there, or else she can only try on 3, so I’m coming. Prom is in May, most girls already have their dresses, but she’s been busy.

Our school is trying out a "Senior Sail" in Boston instead of a senior prom. (They still do a junior prom.)

It was suggested as a cost-saving measure - because the dress code and food are a step less formal, but I think it's mostly because a lot of kids were leaving the prom to go to parties instead, and the school was worried about the high incidence of drinking, etc.

Either way, DS doesn't really seem interested.

My daughter got her prom dress on Monday. We took a "snow day" and went looking. She tried on 4 dresses and picked one without much hesitation. First she makes the college choice early. Then she picks a nonrefundable prom dress with no angst. Maybe it's time for me to lift my ban on Christmas shopping more than 2 weeks out. ;) I need to shorten the dress, but other than that, it fits great. Prom is 5/4.

DD is getting anxious about when the housing choices will open up. DD says she prefers a triple or quad room. She thinks a double would be awkward for her.

Bought prom gown in February then we just got her shoes last week from Kohl’s . So we can now go get the dress hemmed, no other alteration needed. But I’m waiting til 2nd week of April to go to the tailor. Prom is 2nd week of May.

Our school is trying out a "Senior Sail" in Boston instead of a senior prom. (They still do a junior prom.)

It was suggested as a cost-saving measure - because the dress code and food are a step less formal, but I think it's mostly because a lot of kids were leaving the prom to go to parties instead, and the school was worried about the high incidence of drinking, etc.

Either way, DS doesn't really seem interested.
Funny you say that, my DS isn't really interested either. Their prom is next weekend. He's going, sans date but will meet up with friends and already said they are talking about leaving the dance early to go eat somewhere. He said he's ready for it all to be over because "everyone" is talking about it like it's "the most important thing ever, and it's just not." I had to remind him that everyone has different priorities and views on things and to some people, the prom is "IT", you know? He's just ready to focus on other stuff, including a competition coming up that could qualify his team for the national competition (which he's gone to the last two years and last year they won the silver medal). I told him to not wish the rest of the year away quite yet, it'll come soon enough.

No prom here. My DS doesn't want to go and that is okay with me. His senior trip is next month. They are going to Universal Studios during spring break.

I haven't posted much because my "slacker" son was going to skip college and it was depressing me. My slacker son with the high ACT score and a high enough GPA to pretty much have a full ride to any state school just walking away for a job at McDonalds was literally making me sick to my stomach. That was until the local University sent him a letter with a big scholarship offer. All the sudden he is 100% in and can't wait to go to college. He had until May 1st to accept the offer but he couldn't wait. It was like a ton of bricks lifted of my shoulders. I am a little sad. We are moving out of state this summer and I never pictured that I would be the one to leave him (and his older brother). I thought they would fly away somewhere else. Not that I would move the nest. But I am finally excited for him. He is a science geek so he plans to major in biological studies.

A lot of tears at our house--DD was rejected by #1 and #2 so it's down to #3 (completely full ride at UF) or #5 (small liberal arts college in MA). I suspect she's going to choose the smaller school and despite the distance and the cost, I'm okay with that. I want her to be happy and productive and away from alligators :laughing: We're flying up next weekend for accepted students day and I'm hoping after that she'll make her final decision. It's hard b/c her father and my DH (2 different people) want to save the $$ (and DH wants to attend football and basketball games) but this is a life choice she should have some input in making.

I know in the end it will all be worth it and she'll be where she's meant to be.

Good luck to everyone still waiting on application and FA statuses.:shamrock:

A lot of tears at our house--DD was rejected by #1 and #2 so it's down to #3 (completely full ride at UF) or #5 (small liberal arts college in MA). I suspect she's going to choose the smaller school and despite the distance and the cost, I'm okay with that. I want her to be happy and productive and away from alligators :laughing: We're flying up next weekend for accepted students day and I'm hoping after that she'll make her final decision. It's hard b/c her father and my DH (2 different people) want to save the $$ (and DH wants to attend football and basketball games) but this is a life choice she should have some input in making.

I know in the end it will all be worth it and she'll be where she's meant to be.

I’m sorry, that’s hard. I went to a small liberal arts school in MA and loved it. Boston area is a great place to go to school. I assume that’s where you mean, although there’s also a lot of great schools in Western MA.

Tink1970, sorry to hear that your DD didn't get into her #1 school.. I suspect that will happen to DS later this week. It's so tough for these kids after all the hard work they've put in, but it sounds like your DD has some great options! Good luck!

It's so hard to watch them be disappointed. :hug: I'm sure she'll make her peace and get excited soon.

Well, I heard back from USF and it is a good news/bad news sort of thing. The AD I spoke with said they actually pulled down their net price calculator for revision after receiving my email because it was double-counting the merit award, adding it to the university grant total as well as filling it in on the merit scholarship line. So the optimistic result it gave us was 100% coding error. But he was able to tweak the need-based grant offer to bridge the gap enough that we can make it work if she decides that's where she really wants to be. I'm still encouraging her to visit Bryn Mawr with an open mind, because to make USF work she'd be borrowing the federal loan limit or close to it and I'd really prefer she stick to the zero-debt undergrad plan. But if in the end she feels very strongly about the quality of one program over the other I don't feel like that would be a deal-breaking amount of debt, especially since we plan to help her with repayment once my van and student loans are paid (March & Aug 2021 respectively, not that I'm counting down or anything :rotfl:).

My gut feeling is that she's going to go with USF in the end. Between the unusual combination of high-quality programs in both of her intended majors, the heart-of-the-city setting, and the Jesuit culture, it feels like a better fit for her. And while she loved the women's college atmosphere at Wellesley, she's skeptical about how meaningful it would be at Bryn Mawr since most of the courses in both of her intended majors are taught at coeducational bi-co or tri-co partner universities.

Well, I heard back from USF and it is a good news/bad news sort of thing. The AD I spoke with said they actually pulled down their net price calculator for revision after receiving my email because it was double-counting the merit award, adding it to the university grant total as well as filling it in on the merit scholarship line. So the optimistic result it gave us was 100% coding error. But he was able to tweak the need-based grant offer to bridge the gap enough that we can make it work if she decides that's where she really wants to be.

Glad to hear the situation is straightened out!

Prom here isn't until the first weekend of May, and I'm glad for it because our dress drama is echoing the Snowcoming drama... We ordered her dress from Wish.com in January and still don't have it (her Snowcoming dress, ordered the last week in December, arrived two days after the dance in mid-Feb, but we thought 4 months was enough lead time to give them another shot!), so I ended up cancelling before the buyer protection expired and reordering. The reorder is still expected to be here with two weeks to spare, but... Fingers crossed, I guess, because she wants something pretty specific this time, rainbow colors, long but not too fluffy, and we haven't had any luck shopping locally. I plan for us to keep looking, though, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts