Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

As far as I can tell it is a one-time amount. It says the money will be paid in full to the college in August and that the college can apply it right away or spread it out over terms. But then it says she must maintain a 3.0 average. I fully expect she will, but I just don't see the point if it is not renewable. Like I said, I guess we will send those transcripts and see what happens. :confused3

Today is graduation day. It's kind of surreal. I don't feel emotional at all. I'm not really happy about how this school year went for her so a big part of me wants this over.

I had hoped the beloved principal would have held on for one more year so dd would have graduated with him at the helm. Unfortunately the new principal leaves a lot to be desired and dropped the ball on a lot of recognition that my daughter and many other students would have received.

Oh well, I keep telling dd that she's going to her 1st choice school with an amazing merit scholarship and none of this will matter a year from now.

Congrats!!! Awesome surprise!! Is this a one time amount? I've only seen those kinds of requirements if the scholarship renews each year. DD had an interview this evening for a local one. I'm praying she gets it!! It will really help us.

Thanks for bringing up the checking account. I think tomorrow we'll go to switch her child account that I'm custodian for, to a "real" one in her name only, set her up with checking and bank card (and teach her how to use an ATM). This is so weird!

I am keeping my daughters account attached to mine because its easier for me to transfer money from my account into hers if she needs it. She has had a credit/debit card since she was around 14 so she is a pro at using that LOL. She even figured out if she goes to the supermarket and uses that ATM there is a 3.50 fee from that ATM plus a fee from her bank- but if she buys a 1.00 pack of gum and uses the cashback option she doesn't have to pay any fees LOL.

I am keeping my daughters account attached to mine because its easier for me to transfer money from my account into hers if she needs it. She has had a credit/debit card since she was around 14 so she is a pro at using that LOL. She even figured out if she goes to the supermarket and uses that ATM there is a 3.50 fee from that ATM plus a fee from her bank- but if she buys a 1.00 pack of gum and uses the cashback option she doesn't have to pay any fees LOL.
I just talked to my banker about that. Now I'm not sure what they said. I *think* that they said that the custodial account needs to be closed and the money needs to be transferred to another account once she's 18 (or 21, now I'm not sure!). She already has a checking account in her name that is "joint" with us with an ATM card. I transfer money into it for her. BUT the banker also said that we could set up a another way to transfer the money if she opens up her own stand-alone account. I'm not sure if it will be just as quick as it is now and that might make a difference.

Anyway, I think we will transfer the money from her custodial savings to another savings account for her when she turns 18 but I will encourage her to keep the accounts "joint" with us so we can transfer easier. BUT I will also leave it up to her.

My DS and I had a joint account for school/housing expenses that we contributed too and then he had his own account with debit card where his earnings from his part time job went.
This system worked well for us.

If he needed funds, we could transfer via the shared joint account - this way Mom wasn't monitoring "His" funds but still had a handle on "Her" funds that were being used to pay living/school expenses.

I have been MIA for a bit, but just caught up on reading all the posts. It's been a whirlwind few weeks with mostly highs (and a couple lows). I won't elaborate on the lows (especially awards night; what a joke!) as it will just get me worked up.
DS had a great time at prom and the graduation ceremony was lovely. Then it was on to DD14 end of the year ballet performance and 8th grade move up ceremony. Also had my nephew's high school graduation in there somewhere.

Looking to the future: we have New Student Orientation this coming Monday and Tuesday where he will register for classes. DH and I will attend parent orientation at the same time. I am looking forward to it. DS will be in the honors dorms, which makes me happy and he has found a roommate.

In other big news, DS21 has decided to transfer to Flagler College in the fall. He has been attending community college the last few years while working. This was the right choice for him as there was no way he would have been able to handle it right out of high school.

Someone asked about jobs a ways back. DS works in a restaurant kitchen and will be responsible for his new laptop and books. Depending on how much he earns, the rest will be spending $ and some may go towards tuition. He also paid all prom related costs.

We took DH's name off the custodial account but the bank set me up as an authorized signer on her checking and savings. I shouldn't need to do anything with it though. She will be able to go online and transfer money from her savings to checking and I anticipate she will have enough money in those accounts to get by. If needed, I can put money in her account any time at the bank. It's a small local bank so I expect any ATM up there will have fees. She can probably be home often enough to take care of her cash needs here, most of the time.

I did some looking on the scholarship's website for the one DD got yesterday and it really sounds like they renew each year unless your letter says differently, so yay! The letter didn't make that clear but that explains having to submit the transcripts. She has over half her total cc tuition covered by outside scholarships now.

We took DH's name off the custodial account but the bank set me up as an authorized signer on her checking and savings. I shouldn't need to do anything with it though. She will be able to go online and transfer money from her savings to checking and I anticipate she will have enough money in those accounts to get by. If needed, I can put money in her account any time at the bank. It's a small local bank so I expect any ATM up there will have fees. She can probably be home often enough to take care of her cash needs here, most of the time.

I did some looking on the scholarship's website for the one DD got yesterday and it really sounds like they renew each year unless your letter says differently, so yay! The letter didn't make that clear but that explains having to submit the transcripts. She has over half her total cc tuition covered by outside scholarships now.
Awesome! Good for her and YAY on the renewing one!!!!!

Congrats!!! Awesome surprise!! Is this a one time amount? I've only seen those kinds of requirements if the scholarship renews each year. DD had an interview this evening for a local one. I'm praying she gets it!! It will really help us.

Thanks for bringing up the checking account. I think tomorrow we'll go to switch her child account that I'm custodian for, to a "real" one in her name only, set her up with checking and bank card (and teach her how to use an ATM). This is so weird!
That's o our list too. DD has had a kid account. Then at 13 it changed to a teen debt and now 18 it was suppose to change . W need to look into it and see if they will charge a fee. If they do then we will close it since its a credit union and go with a bank. Anyone have Bank of America or Wells Fargo? I'm hoping they have good saving or checking acct for college student and not charge a monthly fee. Does anyone have a different back than their child and so you get charged for transferring money to their acct? Not sure transferring money to another person at a different bank works if theres a charge or free.

We are going to buy my DD a Macbook Pro or MacBook Air. We are waiting for the annual "back to college" sale to buy one. In the past they have included a bonus like Beats headphones.
About how much do these two laptop go for on sale?
I just talked to my banker about that. Now I'm not sure what they said. I *think* that they said that the custodial account needs to be closed and the money needs to be transferred to another account once she's 18 (or 21, now I'm not sure!). She already has a checking account in her name that is "joint" with us with an ATM card. I transfer money into it for her. BUT the banker also said that we could set up a another way to transfer the money if she opens up her own stand-alone account. I'm not sure if it will be just as quick as it is now and that might make a difference.

Anyway, I think we will transfer the money from her custodial savings to another savings account for her when she turns 18 but I will encourage her to keep the accounts "joint" with us so we can transfer easier. BUT I will also leave it up to her.
joint acct vs dd having her one and just transferring money into it? I plan on making payments for housing and meal plan from my acct to student portal. I guess there might be an option to transfer money and have her do it but no way the first year-lol!

About how much do these two laptop go for on sale?
joint acct vs dd having her one and just transferring money into it? I plan on making payments for housing and meal plan from my acct to student portal. I guess there might be an option to transfer money and have her do it but no way the first year-lol!

The cheapest on with student discount is pretty cheap- $1078.00 -
Recommended 13-inch MacBook Air w/AppleCare
MJVE2

13-inch MacBook Air
Specifications

• 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 128GB SSD storage
  • Intel HD Graphics 6000
  • Backlit Keyboard - US English
  • Accessory Kit
System also includes:
  • AppleCare+ for MacBook/MacBook Air
System total: $1,078.00

From there they go up to $3,000 with student discount

Well it's all over now:( My daughter graduated last night. Weather looked scary but the rain held off except for a few light raindrops but we had a beautiful double rainbow show up during the ceremony. She then went to our overnight project graduation, which is an all night, lock in event at our local college with a TON of things to do! Sounds like they had a blast. We had senior award night last week where she won a $500 scholarship and last night she won a tv and everyone received Wawa gift cards. So overall she is pretty happy right now:) Not sure when it will hit that it's all over. We leave Mon for orientation at Florida State, where she will choose her classes for the fall. We are having her graduation party next month since almost every weekend is booked with her friends parties, our FSU trip and family events. It will be more like a going away party.

Well it's all over now:( My daughter graduated last night. Weather looked scary but the rain held off except for a few light raindrops but we had a beautiful double rainbow show up during the ceremony. She then went to our overnight project graduation, which is an all night, lock in event at our local college with a TON of things to do! Sounds like they had a blast. We had senior award night last week where she won a $500 scholarship and last night she won a tv and everyone received Wawa gift cards. So overall she is pretty happy right now:) Not sure when it will hit that it's all over. We leave Mon for orientation at Florida State, where she will choose her classes for the fall. We are having her graduation party next month since almost every weekend is booked with her friends parties, our FSU trip and family events. It will be more like a going away party.
Beautiful DD, Congrats! The rainbows were a really nice touch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!