Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Yea!!! Good for her!

My daughter's BFF is also at Madison, and I'm 99% sure that's the sorority she was accepted into as well!!
Small world!

My DD is very happy with the sorority she ended up with even though it was not her first choice going into the process. It was one of the ones she talked to me about after 2nd rounds, so it was pretty high up on her radar just not #1. There were over 1000 girls vying for spots in only 12 sororities (!) so I was happy for her that she was asked back to one she really liked.

Can't be any worse that DS's fraternity dues at UVA. They are $2200 a year! And that is if you don't live in the fraternity house. It actually works out to be cheaper if you do live in the house, which he is doing this year.
That's close to what my DD will be paying for her first year. They have a brand new house (as of 2015 I think) and they are one of the most expensive sororities. DD's grandmother gave her come money last year that she set aside to pay for dues.

Wow... had no idea that greek life was so expensive. DS is not interested and I am glad after the events that have happened recently at LSU. A pledge has died and they are investigating it as a hazing/alcohol incident. I know there is a lot of good in greek life but also plenty of bad, Especially at bigger schools. I can't imagine being the parents on the receiving end of that call. Horrible situation

Wow... had no idea that greek life was so expensive. DS is not interested and I am glad after the events that have happened recently at LSU. A pledge has died and they are investigating it as a hazing/alcohol incident. I know there is a lot of good in greek life but also plenty of bad, Especially at bigger schools. I can't imagine being the parents on the receiving end of that call. Horrible situation
Absolutely horrible.

My DD's school has a "good samaritan" rule where kids who call 911 for other kids are not prosecuted.

Part of the problem is hazing, part of the problem is alcohol consumption and part of the problem is kids not getting help for their friends because they are worried about getting in trouble.

Every school is different but there is likely some kind of financial benefit of being an RA. However, I wouldn't encourage it because of the financial benefit. It can be a lot of work and can sometimes be really inconvenient, like having to deal with an issue at 2am when you have a big exam at 8am.

Good luck to her but I'd highly recommend her thinking very carefully about it. The application and interview process is pretty intense.
i told her to find out all the info. My concern was issues late at night or hours between 12am-5am. Her RA told her she would have to deal with issues of rape, drinking etc. I will tell her about having to possibly deal with issues during exams

My DS secured an RA position for his sophomore year. Room & Board were the pay but he really had no desire to do it.
He would have had to give up his part time job at the sporting goods store that he loved and he would have had to deal with students and issues as well as there were mandates regarding hours RA's had to be at the dorm. In the end he opted to not do it.
DD would like to be an RA and would be good at it. Her scholarship gives her housing so down the road depending on what is offered it might pick up her meal plan or give her spending money. We shall see.
What scholarships give money for housing?
Spoke with dd tonight. I think she is finally settled in and making friends! She joined a Wednesday night Bible study and a group within her major. She is so excited about this Thursday night. She was accepted to a group called Leadership Fellows when she applied to school. Each month the chancellor interviews someone and they show it live on PBS. As part of this group she gets to go to the interview. Here's the exciting news. She is majoring in visual merchandising and this month the chancellor is interviewing prominent women in business. My daughter threw her hat in and was selected to have dinner with the interviewee. I am not sure what her name is but she is the creative director of Chanel! Poor kid is so nervous!
I'm glad your daughter has finally settled in and making friends :) Good luck to your daughter on her interview

Had to deal with crying child last night. She is not doing well in Spanish. They are going way too fast for her. I told her to look into getting a tutor. I'm sure the Spanish dept has some available. If not, I'll have to pay. It's not an expense I need right now.

Had to deal with crying child last night. She is not doing well in Spanish. They are going way too fast for her. I told her to look into getting a tutor. I'm sure the Spanish dept has some available. If not, I'll have to pay. It's not an expense I need right now.
My DD had the same problem with Calculus. The pace was way too fast for her and it was a huge online class with foreign TAs, who were very difficult to understand, walking around to offer help. This set up didn't fit her learning style at all. She ended up dropping it, so she's only taking 4 classes now. Her meeting with the Student Disabilities Department for her ADD is today. She contacted them and set up the meeting on her own. I am proud of her for taking the initiative with her education! I am interested to see how the meeting turns out.

Speaking of sorority rush, I had my bookclub last night. There are 5 of us with college freshman in the group. One mom was telling us that sorority rush didn't work out for her daughter. I thought she meant her DD got dropped by all the houses. But that was not the case. She went into it wanting 2 houses in particular and when she got dropped by those 2 houses, she dropped out of rush even though several other houses had invited her back. I really hope my DD does not do that! There are terrific people in all the houses, and it's not just about what house the rushee wants. It is equally important to really consider the houses that want you. @robinb I am glad to hear that your DD was open minded and ended up in a house she loves. I hope the same for my DD come January.

I didn't even know there were scholarships that covered housing- my daughters financial aid covers a portion of her housing and 100% of her tuition but that is financial aid not scholarship.

My DD got both a merit scholarship (requires a certain GPA to maintain) and a "destination" scholarship (must be full time in good standing) that brought SUNY costs close to in-state rates as an out of state resident. I believe the destination scholarship was to try to diversify the student body as 94% are NY residents. They would both be reduced if she doesn't live on campus.

DD called home last weekend wanting to come home this weekend as she's done with classes at 2:45 today until Monday for Rosh Hashanah but the fights home were so expensive and we have discovered that getting her back to campus is going to be an issue. There is only 1 nonstop flight and only 1 train from Boston to Syracuse per day and both arrive in Syracuse later than the last bus goes to her campus. I didn't want her coming home this weekend and having to fly way out of the way to get a connecting flight. I felt bad saying no to this weekend. I really hope she makes the best of her long weekend-getting caught up on schoolwork & sleep and maybe meeting new people if less folks are around. Plus her weather is going to be so much better than ours.

I was able to book a direct flight home the Tuesday before Thanksgiving for just $68.20. We still have to find her a way back-we'll probably have to drive her to Albany, about 1/2 way, to get an earlier train. Now I need her to verify her final schedule. I think she can come home Dec 14th on a $68 flight but the 15th is something like $484.:scared:

DD called home last weekend wanting to come home this weekend as she's done with classes at 2:45 today until Monday for Rosh Hashanah but the fights home were so expensive and we have discovered that getting her back to campus is going to be an issue. There is only 1 nonstop flight and only 1 train from Boston to Syracuse per day and both arrive in Syracuse later than the last bus goes to her campus. I didn't want her coming home this weekend and having to fly way out of the way to get a connecting flight. I felt bad saying no to this weekend. I really hope she makes the best of her long weekend-getting caught up on schoolwork & sleep and maybe meeting new people if less folks are around. Plus her weather is going to be so much better than ours.

I was able to book a direct flight home the Tuesday before Thanksgiving for just $68.20. We still have to find her a way back-we'll probably have to drive her to Albany, about 1/2 way, to get an earlier train. Now I need her to verify her final schedule. I think she can come home Dec 14th on a $68 flight but the 15th is something like $484.:scared:

Maybe have your daughter look at ride shares or look if her school has any kind of transportation service. My daughter considered university of Pittsburgh, we live in NJ. For all school breaks Pittsburgh has buses running to all kinds of destinations in the tri-state area. There's a charge but it's very reasonable.

Fortunately my daughter is in DC so it's an easy back and forth.

Good luck.

Speaking of sorority rush, I had my bookclub last night. There are 5 of us with college freshman in the group. One mom was telling us that sorority rush didn't work out for her daughter. I thought she meant her DD got dropped by all the houses. But that was not the case. She went into it wanting 2 houses in particular and when she got dropped by those 2 houses, she dropped out of rush even though several other houses had invited her back. I really hope my DD does not do that! There are terrific people in all the houses, and it's not just about what house the rushee wants. It is equally important to really consider the houses that want you. @robinb I am glad to hear that your DD was open minded and ended up in a house she loves. I hope the same for my DD come January.
I don't remember where you live, but I've read that in some parts of the south there are only a few "select" sororities that are acceptable in the young woman's (and her parent's) social class. If a young woman does not get into one of those sororities she will drop out of the process and try again at a different college! Some colleges have spring rush so if a woman strikes out at fall rush at one college she can transfer colleges and try at the one with a spring rush. It's cray-cray if you ask me!

I think quite a while back I mentioned that the high school had asked DD during senior year to submit some designs for the new gym floor logo. They did decide to use one of hers and weekend before last she was able to go in and see it. There's been no acknowledgment by the school yet of where the design came from, but when she asked her technology teacher about getting in to see it, she did mention she would get the drone out sometime when the volleyball nets aren't out. (It's huge and hard to photograph from the ground, though I tried.) Then she'll probably post a picture and mention DD. However, our pastor made a nice post about Rachel's work, and her BFF's mom gave her credit in a comment to a post where they were planning on putting the design on t-shirts. So, a little bit of recognition is nice :)

What scholarships give money for housing?
I didn't even know there were scholarships that covered housing- my daughters financial aid covers a portion of her housing and 100% of her tuition but that is financial aid not scholarship.
DD applied to The Univ of Alabama Hunstville and has been awarded the Charger Excellence Scholarship which is 100% tuition and Housing for 8 semesters. UAH is in the process of building a whole new dorm complex that will be exclusive to upper classmen. She is really excited.

I think quite a while back I mentioned that the high school had asked DD during senior year to submit some designs for the new gym floor logo. They did decide to use one of hers and weekend before last she was able to go in and see it. There's been no acknowledgment by the school yet of where the design came from, but when she asked her technology teacher about getting in to see it, she did mention she would get the drone out sometime when the volleyball nets aren't out. (It's huge and hard to photograph from the ground, though I tried.) Then she'll probably post a picture and mention DD. However, our pastor made a nice post about Rachel's work, and her BFF's mom gave her credit in a comment to a post where they were planning on putting the design on t-shirts. So, a little bit of recognition is nice :)
Your DD is so talented, how awesome to have her art work on the floor of the gym. Now, that there is a legacy to leave behind! Good for her

I don't remember where you live, but I've read that in some parts of the south there are only a few "select" sororities that are acceptable in the young woman's (and her parent's) social class. If a young woman does not get into one of those sororities she will drop out of the process and try again at a different college! Some colleges have spring rush so if a woman strikes out at fall rush at one college she can transfer colleges and try at the one with a spring rush. It's cray-cray if you ask me!
I am in Virgina. Rush at Virginia schools isn't nearly as intense as some of those deep South schools. DD doesn't even need recommendations to go through rush. The situation you described is insane - transferring colleges just to get in a certain sorority! Talk about messed up priorities!

DD applied to The Univ of Alabama Hunstville and has been awarded the Charger Excellence Scholarship which is 100% tuition and Housing for 8 semesters. UAH is in the process of building a whole new dorm complex that will be exclusive to upper classmen. She is really excited.
Holy cow! that is freaking awesome. That's what a good gap year will get you :).

If my daughter had wanted to go to school in Texas she could have had a free ride plus a monthly stipend because of an academic scholarship program. She wasn't interested and I can't blame her since 97% of the population is from Texas. She wanted a big city and diversity.

Maybe have your daughter look at ride shares or look if her school has any kind of transportation service. My daughter considered university of Pittsburgh, we live in NJ. For all school breaks Pittsburgh has buses running to all kinds of destinations in the tri-state area. There's a charge but it's very reasonable.

Fortunately my daughter is in DC so it's an easy back and forth.

Good luck.
For school breaks they have special busses for her to get to Syracuse and they offer special busses for NY City/Long Island. There are only 3 other freshman from MA and I don't think she's met them yet. She just texted me that she thinks 75% of the kids are leaving campus this afternoon. Maybe she'll meet the other MA kids if they are the only ones left on campus.:D

I wish I were a little closer to Syracuse or that my kids were still there to be able to help you out.

DD is currently in NYC on her gap year adventure. She was to be in NYC for 1 month, staying with her Uncle in Mid-Town Manhattan.
She has been having a great time, lots of exploring, spreading her wings, being a solo traveler etc.

This past Friday, I get a text from my Brother in Law (Who is a major drama queen LOL) anyway, evidently his apartment is having plumbing issues and his entire wing top to bottom has sprung a leak. He is not coping well and sends me this message: "we need to arrange for DD to return home, this is just a disaster".
He lives in a beautiful PreWar 1929 Apt. bldg and the pipes might be original. So all the "G" Apts from street to roof have had their water shut off, several of the units flooded. BIL's did not flood as he and my DD were home at the time and were able to mop/soak up/catch in buckets and dump the water and shut as much off to the unit as possible until the "Super" cut the whole line. (the "Super", that makes me giggle, its such a New York thing)

My reaction to myself, Ummmm, No, DD is not coming home, she had almost 2 weeks left of her trip and I don't want to have to make her come home if I can come up with something else.
As it so happened, DD had planned to spend the weekend away from BIL's Apt, she was staying with her BFF and family in Brooklyn as BFF goes to school in Brooklyn and the parents flew in for BFF's 18th b-day, so DD was with them all weekend but I needed a plan of what to do with her come Monday when BFF returned to school and the parents returned home.

Returning to BIL"s was not an option, he was having all he could handle as he had no water in his unit and was staying with friends. Note, it is now Wednesday and he has a flushing toilet and water in sink but that is it, so this was not a minor issue, this really is a pretty substantial plumbing issue. BIL has lived in this same building since 1984.

Hotel is just too expensive. My DS suggested Airbnb for a room rental.
You want to talk about doing something out of ones comfort zone, try renting a room from a stranger for your 19 yr old DD in NYC!
My DD who has lived in suburbs of small cities her entire life and any big city adventures always included parents/grandparents/Older Brother to direct the path.

At first DD was leery of the idea but I convinced her to give it a try with the unconditional "if you are miserably uncomfortable I will not hesitate to fly you home" clause.
We found in her words a "lovely" Airbnb host with a room in a great neighborhood and DD retrieved her stuff from her Uncles and moved on to her Airbnb on Monday. She is having a great time, she is now actually glad this happened, is enjoying meeting strangers in Brooklyn and hanging out with a NYC native who I hear is a great cook and the ultimate hostess!

It would have cost me a couple of hundred to change her plane ticket and bring her home early, the airbnb cost me $400 for the time remaining of her trip and that $400 is money well spent. The experience is priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter