Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Thanks for the update....DH and I would be on a plane to Mexico if that was our kid!

We thought about going to Puerto Vallarta for spring break this year because of the phenomenal deals.
So glad we listened to that inner voice that said stay away from Mexico!

We went to Dominican Republic instead. Their drinking age is 18 as well:smooth:

Hi all, I just need to vent about my daughter's roommate.

A little background, this roommate moved in just before finals last semester without even meeting my daughter. Apparently her former roommates caused her anxiety.

My daughter and this girl have no relationship at all. They only speak when necessary. There's isn't animosity per say, just nothing beyond 2 strangers sharing a room.

So, my husband and I were visiting our daughter Thursday night until this morning. Our daughter stayed in the hotel with us to get a break from the dorm.

We said goodbye outside her dorm this morning and she went to her room to find a boy stranger he doesn't know sleeping in her bed!

My daughter was shocked, the boy got up but the roommate said nothing. My daughter was just dropping stuff off and then heading out to meet a friend.

She texted me after she left. She isn't upset but is definitely shocked and mad - she had just washed all her bedding on Thursday.

She asked me for advice on what to do. I told her she should tell her roommate not to use her things without permission and allowing anyone on her bed without her ok is not cool. I also told her the roommate should pay for to rewash all her stuff.

I am so hoping she gets in a suite with her own bedroom next year.

Thanks for letting me vent. We had a wonderful visit. I know we're fortunate to be close enough to see her pretty often.

That is just plain RUDE! I know that my DD's roommate had people using my DD's bed last semester when she was not around (and had a friend from California stay with them when they were both there) but that was agreed upon in advance. Kids, including my own :crazy2: sometimes, are so darn self centered. Many just don't think about anyone else or if they do it's an afterthought. I hope your DD can work things out with the roommate.

My daughter had that problem her freshmen year, too, but she didn't know it until she went to get into bed and found crumbs/stains on the sheets. After that, she stripped the bed and locked the linens in her closet when she left the dorm overnight.

We said goodbye outside her dorm this morning and she went to her room to find a boy stranger he doesn't know sleeping in her bed!

My daughter was shocked, the boy got up but the roommate said nothing. My daughter was just dropping stuff off and then heading out to meet a friend.

She texted me after she left. She isn't upset but is definitely shocked and mad - she had just washed all her bedding on Thursday.

She asked me for advice on what to do. I told her she should tell her roommate not to use her things without permission and allowing anyone on her bed without her ok is not cool. I also told her the roommate should pay for to rewash all her stuff.

I am so hoping she gets in a suite with her own bedroom next year.

Thanks for letting me vent. We had a wonderful visit. I know we're fortunate to be close enough to see her pretty often.

My daughters room mate had her boyfriend come and stay a few times when my daughter wasn't in the dorm (my daughter is only in her dorm Sunday night - Thursday morning) but it was cleared beforehand that they could sleep in my daughters bed. Its rude to just do it and not clear it with your room mate first.

Thanks, my daughter has said ok to her roommate having a friend stay over in the past but never in her bed. My daughter can be selfish at times and not consider others but I don't believe she'd ever do this. I think I will suggest she strip her bed in the future when she won't be there.

Thanks, my daughter has said ok to her roommate having a friend stay over in the past but never in her bed. My daughter can be selfish at times and not consider others but I don't believe she'd ever do this. I think I will suggest she strip her bed in the future when she won't be there.
My Daughter would place things on her bed a certain way so she knows if someone had been on/in her bed-lol! Luckily her roommate moved out right before Thanksgiving break and she has had the room to herself. During Xmas break she got a notice she would have a new room mate but no one ever showed up. Luckily she has had her room to herself spring semester. He ex room mate was weird and started drinking and doing weed, glad she moved out

Happy Easter. This is an odd one for us. Ds went to the beach with friends so DH and I are home alone. Normally we spend holidays with DH's extended family but his 2 sisters and families decided to take a trip this year. So the 2 of us went to brunch. Nice but Very strange after years of large family gatherings.

Thanks for the update....DH and I would be on a plane to Mexico if that was our kid!

We thought about going to Puerto Vallarta for spring break this year because of the phenomenal deals.
So glad we listened to that inner voice that said stay away from Mexico!

We went to Dominican Republic instead. Their drinking age is 18 as well:smooth:
Did you go as a family, or did they go with friends? Do you mind telling me where? My DD wants to go next year and you are the second person who has recommended the Dominican Republic.

Happy Easter. This is an odd one for us. Ds went to the beach with friends so DH and I are home alone. Normally we spend holidays with DH's extended family but his 2 sisters and families decided to take a trip this year. So the 2 of us went to brunch. Nice but Very strange after years of large family gatherings.

It is SO odd not having my daughter home for easter- last year she was still hunting for easter eggs and this year she is not even home. I was ok with her not being here for Easter but tomorrow is my birthday and I am actually pretty sad not to have her to spend it with.

It is SO odd not having my daughter home for easter- last year she was still hunting for easter eggs and this year she is not even home. I was ok with her not being here for Easter but tomorrow is my birthday and I am actually pretty sad not to have her to spend it with.

Happy birthday! I'm sorry you'll be missing your daughter.

We dropped our son off last weekend after spring break, so we decided that he'd stay at school for Easter (well, my parents live in that town, so he's able to have Easter dinner with grandma and grandpa). My oldest came into town for Easter, though, so we were able to spend some time with him and his wife today before they went back home.

His last final exam is on my birthday, so we can pick him up that day! But his birthday is two days earlier, and I can't figure out any way to go see him for his birthday. That makes me sad. :(

DS21 has never come home for Easter, so we figured DD18 wouldn’t either. Months ago we planned a trip to Hilton Head, SC with 2 other couples for Easter week. I’m a teacher, so I get Spring Break off (which is different from my kids’ college Spring Break). Our kids knew all about it. We left on Good Friday. Guess who came home on Friday afternoon? DD! We got to see her for about an hour before we left. Guess who came home on Saturday? DS! Arggggg!

Did you go as a family, or did they go with friends? Do you mind telling me where? My DD wants to go next year and you are the second person who has recommended the Dominican Republic.
We went as a family. Initially, DD wanted to go with a small group.
But finances for college age kids can be tough, especially if parents can't/won't help out. The girls were "onboard" with the idea...but when they found out the total costs, it was too much.
We stayed at the Royalton Bavaro Resort and Spa in Punta Cana. It was a direct flight out of Milwaukee, on a charter airline through Funjet.
The resort just opened in late December 2017, so everything was brand new. We stayed in a swim out room in the Diamond Club section. It was fantastic!
We did a few excursions as well. If you end up going at some point, I could let you know which ones we did. We were very happy!

1st holiday ever without our DD. She had mid terms last week and sounds like she's burned out. I think she might just be a lil depressed with all the stress and being away from family. She's coming home in 2 weeks for a family bbq so hoping her seeing family will get her through the next few weeks. May 17th will be her last day of finals so we will pick up up that's night, Friday or Saturday to move her out of her dorm. We are thinking of Friday or Saturday but she might just be over it and tell us to pick her up that thursday

Our Easter got all thrown off this year. Usually we all go to my mom's house up in NY but she had to change the timing around and we couldn't go. Then my dd just went back to school from spring break. I said I would come and get her for the weekend but she decided to stay. Since my husband was off on good Friday we decided to make our big meal that day. Well I wake up on Sat. morning and my daughter wants me to come get her. When we got home on Sat. afternoon I informed her we'd be having leftovers!! lol Was glad I got to see her but it was a hectic weekend.

My DD text my husband to let him know she got the apartment living them she wanted and she get propriety move in-yay!!!!!!!!!!! She has one room mate she's pick from her cohert. They tried getting another girl but she had a bad experience with her roommate that she decided just to commute next fall. Hopefully she changes her mind and moves in with my DD and their other classmate. The girl dd will room with goes back home on the weekend to work so dd will have the room to herself. I'm hoping and praying she find two other girls that are a good fit and aren't partiers. Hope they are down to earth and like relaxing, going to movies, shopping etc.

I also looked on the acct and it shows the amount due for Fall 2018 tuition due $3,4446 OMG! Its due mid June. Last year DD got scholarships and a subsidize loan. Not sure when the loan will kick in or mid class income scholarship (calif state). We qualified for the middle class last year so not sure if we will get it this year(we made $3,000 less ) but rumor is they were trying to cut the scholarship. I have some saved up for housing which I can use for part of the tuition until the loan and schoarlship credited but still need to come up with more $$ to cover it.

How is everyone doing?

@dreamin_disney, too bad our daughters aren't at the same school because mine would love to move into that apartment. She hears about the housing for next year on Thursday. I hope your daughter loves her housing situation.

She was home for the weekend and I helped her work on cover letters for internships. Being in DC she has so many opportunities. I hope she gets something she'll enjoy.

As for grant awards, my daughter's school said returning students will be notified in June. We don't have to pay tuition & housing until 11:59pm ET on the 1st day of classes. That's really nice considering the amount we owe after scholarships.

On a funny note, my daughter left laundry all over her bed to discourage her roommate from allowing someone to sleep in it.

10 more days until I go and pack my daughter up and bring her home until Sept! She is storing most of the things there so it shouldn't be to much to pack up and take. She picked her classes and schedule for Sept and got the classes she wanted and the times and days she wanted so that was great- she likes Fridays off and no classes before 11am! She had a good time/day to pick because they pick by how many credits they have so she picked as a rising junior and got to pick before some of the other rising sophomores.

Had a super time with DD this weekend (minus the crappy weather)!
It was Mom's Weekend for her sorority.

We had dinner on Friday night at Coast in downtown Milwaukee with all of Alpha Chi Omega. It was fun meeting her "sorority family" and their moms too!
Even though we are local, I reserved a hotel for the weekend to spend as much quality time as possible with DD. Plus, it got her out of the dorm for a couple of days and some good eats....

On Saturday we attended an AXO event. The sorority was fundraising and doing the Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event. They had a silent auctions, jewelry sales, baked goods, etc. An Acapella group performed, they were amazing!
There was also a brave young woman who spoke. She told her story as a victim of relationship violence. There was not a dry eye in the auditorium....

It was so unfortunate the weather was not cooperating!!! There were quite a few young men on hand, ready to strut their stuff in those red high heels!! The walk did happen, but boots, winter coats and umbrellas were the apparel...

Saturday dinner was a smaller gathering at Water Street Brewery with DD's sorority family (instead of the whole sorority on Friday night).
And after, we again met with a huge group of girls at Splash Studio for a painting/drinking/bonding session. It was a fun evening!! And my wooden Milwaukee skyline turned out fairly nice!

Sunday was supposed to be the Milwaukee Art Museum. As locals, we've been there multiple times. We sadly decided to skip it. DD had homework and I wanted to head home since the weather (again yuck!!) was deteriorating by the second.

My 30 minute drive took almost 90 white knuckled on the steering wheel minutes!!! But I made it home safe, and that's all that mattered.

My DD stopped by home this weekend on her way to visit a high school friend at another college. It was so nice to see her. She is thinking of changing her major yet again to Marketing and Multi Media Journalism. Marketing has always stayed the same, just her second major keeps changing (International Studies to Political Science to Multi Media Journalism). She thinks she may want to get into radio and TV. She's going to volunteer at the college radio station next semester. Luckily, she can still take classes that count across all majors so nothing during her exploratory period will be wasted.

Except for her Calculus class. Dropping Calc I first semester is coming back to bite her in the butt. She is taking it now, but the business school requirements are changing for next year. Instead of Calc I 1525 and Calc II 1526, she now just needs a 4 credit combined Calc class 1524. So her 1525 class will no longer count because she won't be able to take the 2nd half (not offered at community college at home this summer either). She has worked so hard but now wants to drop it, which she can't do because it will take her below 12 credits. We told her to think positively. She'd have to take a 2nd Calc class if the requirements hadn't changed. This way the 2nd class will be half review!

She's feeling a little disenchanted with her friend group at the moment. They are great kids, but they are homebodies, which DD is not. She feels like she never has anyone to go out with because they always want to stay home. She feels like she's missing out on so many things her college has to offer. I told her she needs to keep those great friends but also make some new ones. She's hoping to bond with some of her sorority sisters at the AXO retreat they have next weekend. Her homebody roommate, who is also a new AXO sister, is skipping the retreat and tried to talk DD out of going. She also tried to talk DD out of living in the sorority house junior year, but we encouraged it as it's a huge bonding experience. I am sure she'll branch out and keep meeting people at school; it just takes time.

On another note, my DS is almost finished with his junior year. I booked a VRBO farmhouse in his college town for his 2019 graduation last week! I can't believe I had to do it so early, but that's how things work at his school. I'll be booking his graduation dinner in the Fall. I cannot believe how quickly it has flown by!!! DH reminded me that this might be our last summer with our DS at home. He has a Finance Internship with Altria, which is close enough for him to live at home. But next summer he'll have his real job, wherever that may be. Waaaaaaa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter