Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DS took the bus home Friday night to see his sister perform in Legally Blonde on Saturday. She did an amazing job and was happy that he was able to come. Our dog was also in the show as Paulette's dog, lol. I drove him back yesterday morning; the long car ride is a good time to talk.
I can't believe freshman year is almost over! He'll be home in less than a month. He's working the same job as last summer, in a local restaurant kitchen. His goal is too make as much money as he can to contribute to tuition and so he doesn't have to work during the school year as he is so involved in activities.
Poor older DS had a nasty bout of mono that he is finally getting over.

@dreamin_disney, too bad our daughters aren't at the same school because mine would love to move into that apartment. She hears about the housing for next year on Thursday. I hope your daughter loves her housing situation.

She was home for the weekend and I helped her work on cover letters for internships. Being in DC she has so many opportunities. I hope she gets something she'll enjoy.

As for grant awards, my daughter's school said returning students will be notified in June. We don't have to pay tuition & housing until 11:59pm ET on the 1st day of classes. That's really nice considering the amount we owe after scholarships.

On a funny note, my daughter left laundry all over her bed to discourage her roommate from allowing someone to sleep in it.
Good luck to your Daughter on her getting a good housing situation and an internship she enjoys :)
DD doesn't start classes until the end of August and I wish we had until then to pay but full fall amount is due mid june :/
I hope our girls get good roommates

Crisis averted this morning...DD found out fall registration had quietly opened last week. We weren't thinking of it because she just did summer semester a little bit ago but of course some students go home over summer and so they need to start fall now.

She was trying to register for classes and it kept telling her she wasn't in that major and couldn't sign up. She went to one office and they would only make her an appointment with her advisor on Thursday. But it looked like the times she wanted only had 1-2 slots left so she wanted to get this done today. She called me and I recalled that for her first 3 semesters she is in a "Visual Communications" diploma program and the other 2 semesters are the Graphic Design AAS. After some poking around we determined she needed to fill out a form to get in the Graphic Design program so she went to a different office and got that accomplished and classes registered as desired (no 6pm-10pm classes!). She's hoping her friend can get in the same class times.

The advisor is meeting with kids Thursday so I'm thinking more class times have to open up to fit the size of her program but I don't know. At least she's set. I was envisioning having to figure out housing for an extra semester etc.

DD came home Saturday and spent Sunday/Monday morning cat & dog sitting for us while we took DD16 on a distant college visit. I know she had a good time having dinner with grandma and grandpa and chilling with the critters, but hope she didn't feel left out of our trip. She would have had to miss class and I didn't want to spend a lot of airline points on a just-to-see trip. Definitely if her sister ends up there we will get her down there to visit.

anyone have any idea about the Perkins loans- as far as I knew they got rid of them this year yet we were just given one for the summer program my daughter is taking?

How many kids are doing summer school? My DD is doing summer school at a junior college. Her advisor told her to go to junior college since it will be cheaper. She just needs to make sure it counts at the university. Should we have counted summer school when we did FASA ?

How many kids are doing summer school? My DD is doing summer school at a junior college. Her advisor told her to go to junior college since it will be cheaper. She just needs to make sure it counts at the university. Should we have counted summer school when we did FASA ?

DS is taking a computer class over the summer. I'm honestly not sure why. Maybe to make his fall a little easier? I encouraged him to take it at the local community college online. He wants the UMass credit though. :confused3

My DD is taking one online class this summer.
She has to take Organic Chemistry next year, and is already stressing over it.
So instead of her usual 17 credits in the fall, she will drop down to 14 credits. It will ease her class load a bit.

I wantedmy DD to take a class this summer and get ahead a little. I took classes every summer I was in school. She is thinking of taking a wilderness class for credit.

No classes for my DD this summer. She got an internship at a law office that's three days a week, so that will keep her somewhat busy but I don't know what else she has planned.

DD is continuing through the summer, it's how her program is planned at the cc. She'll have class on Tues-Wed-Thurs, and an online class, so 4 day weekends all summer. We're going to Disney July 4-9 so I like that schedule- with the holiday and the long weekend she'll only miss one class day.

I guess she did end up with a night class for fall, so on Wednesdays she'll be in class from 1pm-10pm with a break for supper. Oh well.

Tonight she's going to prom again as a date for DD16's friend. She's excited because some other friends will be there and she's hoping to not throw up at this year's prom!

Neither of them are taking classes this summer. Both have the goal of working as many hours as possible. They are both returning to their jobs from last year. DS22 works as a waiter on scenic railroad tours and DS19 is returning to the kitchen of a nearby restaurant. And, now that DD15 won’t be spending half her summer at a ballet intensive, she’s decided to work extra, too. She is a cashier at the local grocery store and in addition to paying for her braces, she’s decided to redo her bedroom.
Looks like I will have the most free time in the family this summer! I teach summer school in July, but it’s just mornings.

My daughters college will not accept credits from community college or state colleges so she can't take classes at home- she is going to Paris to take 8 credits worth of classes for a month from May 21-June 23- then she is coming home and working for the same place she has worked at since she was 15- they are really good about scheduling her for hours during any school breaks she wants to work and they let her go back for the summers that she is home too.

My daughter will be learning Korean over the summer with a private tutor. She went in with 19 credits and could actually graduate a year early if she took a few classes over the summers. I think she's going to do a semester abroad and a full time semester internship instead of graduating early.

I don't know about fafsa and summer school.

My DS will be taking a 3 credit online class thru his college. No need to worry if it will transfer that way. He had to email the professor in advance to make sure it was completely online, with no need to come back to campus for tests. He is taking a renewable resource class, and will be happy to check his natural science requirement off the list. He is already set to go back to his same job this summer.

Regarding the FAFSA, I think you fill it out for the whole year. You may need to apply for summer aid through your child's school though. I submitted the application for summer aid, but he only qualified for federal student loans, so we will pass on that.

We will be moving him home two weeks from today. I can't wait! Hard to believe our kiddos will have one year under their belt already!

DD is continuing through the summer, it's how her program is planned at the cc. She'll have class on Tues-Wed-Thurs, and an online class, so 4 day weekends all summer. We're going to Disney July 4-9 so I like that schedule- with the holiday and the long weekend she'll only miss one class day.

I guess she did end up with a night class for fall, so on Wednesdays she'll be in class from 1pm-10pm with a break for supper. Oh well.

Tonight she's going to prom again as a date for DD16's friend. She's excited because some other friends will be there and she's hoping to not throw up at this year's prom!

My DD is taking 19 unit this spring. She has to take 2 summer classes for two summers that's how her program is set up. Plus her advisor told her there a college that offers online course that others in her cohert have taken and has been really good. She wants to add the 3rd class online so she wont have to take a late class in the fall 7pm -9:45. She's doing a similar late class this semester . She said its a pain having to go back on campus that late because her classes on that day are earlier. Hopefully it all works out so she doesn't have to do a late night class again.

DD text us to let us know she found out where her on campus apartment is located. She said its between the parking lot we like and the dining hall-lol! Now its in a convenience area and close by but she has a kitchen so we aren't doing a meal plan. Then she sends us a picture of her breakfast with pancakes with fresh fruit, small yogurt with granola and says she's going to miss it next year and wishes she would have taken advantage of it sooner. I reminded her that her schedule sucked this semester so it was hard to go as much. I told her she can still go once in awhile and just pay for a meal.

Last night my DD called me which is a huge surprise because she doesnt like talking on the phone and will only text. We had a good chat for 1-2 hours. It was such a nice chat. 4 more weeks to go and she will be back home :)

Should we have counted summer school when we did FASA ?

My daughters financial aid covers her summer program- since its a half semester they give her half a semester of financial aid- for her whole 8 credit class and her apartment in paris it covers 100% of that-plus an extra 68.00- I had to pay for the plane ticket (which the 68.00 went towards) and spending money.

My DD got into a suite dorm next year. 3 double rooms, bath & huge living area. No kitchen facilities & she still can't have a microwave but she's still really happy to be in a suite.

She registered for fall last week. She couldn't get the lab she wanted but get all other classes she wanted. She'll have a pretty touch schedule. 4 classes Mon, Wed, Fri -one of those is calc 3 which is at 8am & meets Tue also. Another class Tue-Thu & the lab on Tue-she was really hoping to do lab Thu. Tough schedule with tough classes.

Next week is her last week of classes, then finals. Can't believe freshman year is over.

My Dd dropped calc 2 this semester so she's taking that this summer. Hoping she'll get a better professor and only having that to focus on will help. She still needs 2 more calc classes after calc 2 for her major so hope this works for her. She's always been strong in math so I'm hopeful.
DS is taking a computer class over the summer. I'm honestly not sure why. Maybe to make his fall a little easier? I encouraged him to take it at the local community college online. He wants the UMass credit though. :confused3
my dd is taking calc 2 at umass boston. She had to get approval from her school first to be sure she would get credit at her school. I just found out they charge $6/day to park. It's going up to $15 in the fall. Crazy for a commuter school!

Um, I wasn't recommending anyone sue over this, just stating that it's poor customer service, accident or not. If a waitress accidentally spills water in your lap, that's poor customer service even though it's an accident. Same here.

No alarm went off when I bought the slippers, btw. Sometimes those devices don't work.

My DD got into a suite dorm next year. 3 double rooms, bath & huge living area. No kitchen facilities & she still can't have a microwave but she's still really happy to be in a suite.

She registered for fall last week. She couldn't get the lab she wanted but get all other classes she wanted. She'll have a pretty touch schedule. 4 classes Mon, Wed, Fri -one of those is calc 3 which is at 8am & meets Tue also. Another class Tue-Thu & the lab on Tue-she was really hoping to do lab Thu. Tough schedule with tough classes.

Next week is her last week of classes, then finals. Can't believe freshman year is over.

My Dd dropped calc 2 this semester so she's taking that this summer. Hoping she'll get a better professor and only having that to focus on will help. She still needs 2 more calc classes after calc 2 for her major so hope this works for her. She's always been strong in math so I'm hopeful.
my dd is taking calc 2 at umass boston. She had to get approval from her school first to be sure she would get credit at her school. I just found out they charge $6/day to park. It's going up to $15 in the fall. Crazy for a commuter school!

What is it with calc 3 at 8am? My daughter had that last semester. She was able to arrange the rest of her schedule so that she was done around lunch time. I guess that isn't bad but not ideal for a night owl.

My daughter got all the classes she wanted for next semester and has a pretty good schedule. 1 class Monday afternoon and 1 class Friday morning and then several the other days.

She didn't get 1 of her top dorm choices but she still got a nice assignment in a great location. All of her classes are within a 2 block radius and she's 2 blocks from the metro.

What is it with calc 3 at 8am? My daughter had that last semester. She was able to arrange the rest of her schedule so that she was done around lunch time. I guess that isn't bad but not ideal for a night owl.

My daughter got all the classes she wanted for next semester and has a pretty good schedule. 1 class Monday afternoon and 1 class Friday morning and then several the other days.

She didn't get 1 of her top dorm choices but she still got a nice assignment in a great location. All of her classes are within a 2 block radius and she's 2 blocks from the metro.
Wondering how my post from another thread ended up being quoted by you here... :confused3

Wondering how my post from another thread ended up being quoted by you here... :confused3
Really? It is obviously a mistake. Sometimes when you respond to someone and then change your mind the quote gets ‘stuck’ and pops out on your next response. It happens to me a couple times a month but I usually catch it and delete the stray quote.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter