Parking when staying inside Grand Canyon National Park

ekmom

Mouseketeer
We are going to Grand Canyon in August for one night. So far I have been able to book Yavapai Lodge but I'm still trying to get either Thunderbird or El Tovar. I keep hearing that it is difficult to park if you are staying at one of the places near the rim in the summer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We were there June 30th to July 3rd in 2006 and yes the aprking at El Tovar is horrendous as there is no parking for hotel guests only you have to fight for a space with the day visitors! One thing we were never told before we went and it did give a sour taste in our mouth considering how much we had paid for a room.

Claire ;)

We stayed at El Tovar last June. Yes, parking is bad.....but the day visitors don't stay into the night, so it does lighten up later in the day. We were always able to get a spot.

Kimya

We're the obnoxious day visitors that have gone twice and parked near El Tovar (both times September Sundays). The first year we just rolled in and a spot opened (think parting of the red sea) and we pulled in.

The second year we drove around and around. We were about to give up and park at a lot that required taking a shuttle bus, but decided to make one more try and a spot opened up.

Worst case scenario, there are lots that are less popular, but on the shuttle route.

Grand Canyon really urges visitors to use the shuttle system in the Village area and that includes hotel guests. Yavapai has ample parking, is close to the grocery store and shuttle stops. El Tovar and Thunderbird are right in the thick of the Village area, and once you park your car, you should probably plan on leaving it and use the shuttles or your feet to get around the village area.

If you are walkers, you can see some wonderful things from the Rim trails on your way to and from other village areas.

We have only stayed a Maswik - the last hotel just off the south rim. I would think you could part there and walk to El Tovar or Thunderbird if you can't get a space - and then move the car later in the day.

The walk from our particular room was just as close to bright angel lodge as it would have been going back to Maswik's main building for he shuttle.

Once we get to the lodge - we usually park and use the shuttles. They are very easy to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter