PC OPTIMUM, Lets share deals, offers, info

We woke up Tuesday to new snow. I just hate TRUDGING through that fresh fallen snow. It looks beautiful, but I HATE wet and cold feet!!!! Hopefully this is the last bit of fresh fallen snow until November!!!!
Another blast of snow here today. It's likely a good day to go out in terms of crowds as most will be home. Only issue is the city isn't likely salting much since not many people on supposed to be out and about. Groceries will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

So glad we're all in this together!

I'm sorry you're having such challenges getting the food you need @Donald - my hero. That would be really challenging, especially when you are trying to limit the number of stores you go in to. I keep hoping that as time goes by and less people are out that the stores will have the ability to begin to restock on items that are being depleted at a fast pace.

The reason I'm choosing to shop via pick-up is that I am the single mom by choice (I adopted my daughter from China) to the most amazing little girl but I also realize I am her one and only parent so I need to be careful to try and avoid getting sick so drastically limiting when we go out or who we get in contact with.

While I understand it's nice to know in advance what they might need to try and stock for the grocery pickups and thus not allow the changes, each store 'only' does 4 pick-up orders per hour which based on the number of people I watched come and go from my store as I waited in my car Tuesday, can only be but a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of food and other items they are stocking daily. It's just adding another layer to an already challenging time. Stopping changes 3 days prior to order pick-up or something like that I could see but 2 weeks in advance is rough.

It's just challenging for all of us to do what we're being told to do by limiting our interaction with others yet unable to find what we need. I know we're all doing our very best and I believe in Canada we're going to get ahead of this in a timely manner. It will get worse before it gets better due to the timing of our spring breaks and people recently returned from travel but we really are all working together and will see an end to this.

A special shout out to all those here or your family who may work at a grocery store, pharmacy, as a nurse, doctor, other caregiver, truck driver or anyone else who is going to work to help care for everyone. YOU ARE APPRECIATED!!! :flower1::thanks::flower1:

I’m not a single parent, but I’m still a parent. I 100% get wanting to minimize contact, and I can appreciate how much more important that is when you’re parenting solo. I hope my post didn’t sound rude. I was only trying to say that pickup service is getting overwhelmed.

I hope that a store comes up with an alternative that works better. For now, is there family or a neighbour or someone who could pick up your groceries instead?

Last edited:
I’m not a single parent, but I’m still a parent. I 100% get wanting to minimize contact, and I can appreciate how much more important that is when you’re parenting solo. I hope my post didn’t sound rude. I was only trying to say that pickup service is getting overwhelmed.

I hope that a store comes up with an alternative that works better. For now, is there family or a neighbour or someone who could pick up your groceries instead?
I appreciate that and no, in no way were you rude! :)

I do have 2 coworkers who have offered to help me out which I greatly appreciate. The challenge is I am trying to help my parents and very close friends who are also seniors who should not be going out if at all possible as they are the most vulnerable.

I'm putting our list together for 2 weeks and we'll just make it work. My DD and I are fine other than flour would be nice as I've been 'training' for this for years! Besides being careful with our budget and buying in bulk to get extra points, we're in really great shape grocery wise. (Kicking myself that I didn't stock up on Lysol wipes when they had all those bonus points but switched it out for toilet cleaner so our toilets are clean. LOL!)

SO thankful for this group as we support one another through these challenging days!

SO thankful for this group as we support one another through these challenging days!

I worry about all the single parents and those who are immunocompromised and any of our more senior people who don't have family to help them out. I do know that there are some organziations and other groups that are helping those who can't get out, have their items bought and delivered to them in our little city. I can imagine how much harder it would be in a bigger centre to accomplish this. This is when I love how our community pulls together to help out others when there is a need. I hope that the bigger centers are also finding creative and more ways to help those who can't get out to get their items.

I worry about all the single parents and those who are immunocompromised and any of our more senior people who don't have family to help them out. I do know that there are some organziations and other groups that are helping those who can't get out, have their items bought and delivered to them in our little city. I can imagine how much harder it would be in a bigger centre to accomplish this. This is when I love how our community pulls together to help out others when there is a need. I hope that the bigger centers are also finding creative and more ways to help those who can't get out to get their items.
I got an email today from CAA saying that they are having the drivers deliver for various agencies...things like Meals on Wheels. They have also set up a special phone line to provide auto service to healthcare workers. If they are members it will not count towards their membership limit and if it’s a non member the service is free.

I have seen Enterprise Rental Car vans (the nice newer style ones) around my area delivering boxes. My attached neighbour (duplex) has cancer and one of the deliveries went to their house. I wonder if it was food and Enterprise was helping delivering them?

I was at Shoppers today (post office) mailing our taxes and I thought I would take a walk through the cleaning product section. Lo and behold, there were travel packs of 28 Wet Ones (big size cloths) antibacterial wipes! Whoa! I grab my limit of two and out the door...Start the car!
Please don't take this as me "well-actually"-ing, but just a friendly PSA that antibacterial or antiseptic agents are only effective against bacteria. So those wipes will certainly help you clean, but will not kill this (or most other) viruses, so please don't use them while out and about and end up with a false sense of security. It's the equivalent of rinsing your hands using only water in these times. Will remove some surface dirt, but only using soap will clean (and remove this virus from them).

Scientist here, just trying to kindly inform in case you, or others weren't aware.

ETA: I found this listing on the Government site, much more helpful than my blanket statement, they share approved agents for use against this virus!
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...roducts/disinfectants/covid-19/list.html#tbl1

I have seen Enterprise Rental Car vans (the nice newer style ones) around my area delivering boxes. My attached neighbour (duplex) has cancer and one of the deliveries went to their house. I wonder if it was food and Enterprise was helping delivering them?
It might be Amazon. They have hired all sorts of small companies to deliver for them. Enterprise has fleet rentals that are cheaper for small companies than leasing their own vehicles.

Thank you @kimbert for the reminder. I think I was so surprised to see anything in that section I felt compelled to buy some.
Thank you for not taking offense and understanding my intent.
Side note: our preferred wipes (lysol disinfecting wipes) are NOT on this list! Thankfully I found them on a different list, EPA I believe. But I'll also have to be careful in my own sense of security!

Anyone else finding it impossible to book a time for grocery pickup?
I think I figured out what happened. I was up at midnight hoping to choose the next available date for pickup (in our case Fri Apr 10) but as soon as I could get to them they were all full.

Didn’t put 2 and 2 together until now to realize that Apr 10 is Good Friday So all stores are closed. Makes sense now.

I will continue to watch for new slots to open During the day today as I’ve seen that happen before but in the meantime I’ll stay up until midnight tonight and attempt to grab a pickup for Sat Apr 11.

Thank you for not taking offense and understanding my intent.
Side note: our preferred wipes (lysol disinfecting wipes) are NOT on this list! Thankfully I found them on a different list, EPA I believe. But I'll also have to be careful in my own sense of security!

I thought I had heard the Lysol wipes aren't "certified" for this but Clorox are? I don't tend to use Lysol much because of the phenol which can kill pets any way but I remember hearing it near the start of all this, like two weeks ago... has it only been that long?

@scrappinginontario I have given up on finding a slot to do a pick up order :( Walmart near me is only doing them 4 days in a row, and they are booked as soon as I check. PC is weeks out. There are a couple delivery services that I have been looking at, Instacart seems to be very busy (and threatening some kind of actions on Monday) but there was a buyabuggy or something like that, and some local stores are doing their own.

I thought I had heard the Lysol wipes aren't "certified" for this but Clorox are? I don't tend to use Lysol much because of the phenol which can kill pets any way but I remember hearing it near the start of all this, like two weeks ago... has it only been that long?

@scrappinginontario I have given up on finding a slot to do a pick up order :( Walmart near me is only doing them 4 days in a row, and they are booked as soon as I check. PC is weeks out. There are a couple delivery services that I have been looking at, Instacart seems to be very busy (and threatening some kind of actions on Monday) but there was a buyabuggy or something like that, and some local stores are doing their own.
I usually use Clorox wipes. But when all the main stream store shelves are empty without any kind of disinfectant wipes, I grabbed two out of three Lysol ones I saw in a Korean store. It’s better than no wipe! Hand washing is still the key thing to rely on.

I usually use Clorox wipes. But when all the main stream store shelves are empty without any kind of disinfectant wipes, I grabbed two out of three Lysol ones I saw in a Korean store. It’s better than no wipe! Hand washing is still the key thing to rely on.

For sure! I am glad I had quite a bit of hand soap and body wash bought on sale and for the airmiles. I haven't needed to get any more (yet).

For those that are looking for time slots, there was a FB post that they understand that many people are now using this service and the number of orders is 300% higher. They said that they are trying to add more slots but have also asked that if you are able to go in the store to shop to please do so and leave the time slots for those that are not able to do their own shopping. So I would keep checking for time slots.

A happy (and very much appreciated!) medium has been put in place by superstore. New orders placed will now be able to be modified up until 48 hours before pickup. That works perfectly!!

The challenge with their former ‘no changes’ to orders placed 2 weeks out was that some people had the same items on more than 1 list and therefore were possibly ordering things they might not need, thus depleting stock for others.

I’m really happy with the change they made today even though I placed my order just after midnight so I won’t be able to change it before our Apr 11 pickup. I’m okay with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter