PC terminal questions

One decision I am struggling with is whether to use DCL transfer from WDW. From what I have read in other threads, with the DCL transfer, you won't get there until later in the boarding process. While the idea of not having to haul our luggage around is enticing (albeit more expensive for a family of 5), I certainly don't want lose out on any worthwhile terminal-related experiences if there are any (especially for the kids).

LAX

One advantage to getting there earlier is that you have time to take a nice photo out on the observation deck with the ship in the background. It’s not a must-do, but it’s a nice touch. The terminal itself can be boring, and very hectic. WE’ve sailed three times and this last trip cured me of early arrivals.

First trip was through DCL transfer from WDW. We got there around 1:30. Perfect. No wait to screen, check-in, or board. Bags in room and sitting in Cabanas with great food by 2:00. We hade 2nd seating so it was a good time for lunch.

Next to cruises were arrivals at port opening. Madhouse on the curb and at the screeners. Took 45 minutes to enter. Once we were in, we checked in, got our observation deck photos, and boarded fairly quickly, but we didn’t feel like we really gained much over our first cruise arrival.

Now, if you want to swim, etc., or if you want some time to really unpack and set up your state room, than an earlier arrival might make sense. I wouldn’t base it on the terminal activities, though, little as they are.

Dirk

One advantage to getting there earlier is that you have time to take a nice photo out on the observation deck with the ship in the background. It’s not a must-do, but it’s a nice touch. The terminal itself can be boring, and very hectic. WE’ve sailed three times and this last trip cured me of early arrivals.

First trip was through DCL transfer from WDW. We got there around 1:30. Perfect. No wait to screen, check-in, or board. Bags in room and sitting in Cabanas with great food by 2:00. We hade 2nd seating so it was a good time for lunch.

Next to cruises were arrivals at port opening. Madhouse on the curb and at the screeners. Took 45 minutes to enter. Once we were in, we checked in, got our observation deck photos, and boarded fairly quickly, but we didn’t feel like we really gained much over our first cruise arrival.

Now, if you want to swim, etc., or if you want some time to really unpack and set up your state room, than an earlier arrival might make sense. I wouldn’t base it on the terminal activities, though, little as they are.

Dirk

I agree. I think I’m done with the early arrivals. Just too chaotic. Waiting with my kids was not that fun. I can see the characters on board, take a picture with the ship while we are in a port. I didn’t like rushing trying to get some swim time in and lunch. Too much stress for our first day.
We used to come early to book the meet and greets in person. But now that everything is online, I don’t think I want to go as early. I still want to be on the ship for lunch and a little exploration but no more 10:30 arrivals. Maybe 12:00 next time.

One decision I am struggling with is whether to use DCL transfer from WDW. From what I have read in other threads, with the DCL transfer, you won't get there until later in the boarding process. While the idea of not having to haul our luggage around is enticing (albeit more expensive for a family of 5), I certainly don't want lose out on any worthwhile terminal-related experiences if there are any (especially for the kids).

LAX
Sorry if this has already been mentioned -- but you'll receive a designated Port Arrival Time (PAT) once you complete your online check-in process. So, if you want a CHOICE of PAT -- do the online check-in EARLY.

One advantage to getting there earlier is that you have time to take a nice photo out on the observation deck with the ship in the background. It’s not a must-do, but it’s a nice touch.
No need to be early to do this. Even after boarding has started you can still do this before you board.

I agree. I think I’m done with the early arrivals. Just too chaotic. Waiting with my kids was not that fun. I can see the characters on board, take a picture with the ship while we are in a port. I didn’t like rushing trying to get some swim time in and lunch. Too much stress for our first day.
We used to come early to book the meet and greets in person. But now that everything is online, I don’t think I want to go as early. I still want to be on the ship for lunch and a little exploration but no more 10:30 arrivals. Maybe 12:00 next time.
My last cruise I saw exhausted people sitting and laying on the stairs waiting for rooms to open up at1:30 lol. I think early arrival can be overrated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter