Pearl Harbour Question?

flinkerfrosch

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Heading to Aulani in Nov for 12 days with my family. We have a day planned (Wed) to go to Pearl Harbour, and I have already purchased the tickets on line.
My question- If something disrupts our day to go ie: rain...is it easy to go on a different day? I know my tickets are are for that day, but I read they sell 1300 walk in tickets the day of? So, if we had to change our day, does anyone know if the tickets sell out first thing in the am or if we showed up around 9-9:30am what would our chances be like?
My husband won't get up super early on vacation, so I don't know whether we should take our chances or just buy more tickets on line for a few other days to be safe??

Thank you :)

We just went to Aulani in May, and hubby and son visited Pearl Harbor. We pre-purchased tickets, and the winds were too strong on the day they went to allow the guests out onto the memorial (the Arizona). They did get to visit the submarine (the Bowfin) and the ship (the Missouri). There were no refunds for the missed portions due to weather. We personally would just take the risk and buy for only one day because I have a hard time throwing money away, but if getting to see it all in great weather is more important to you than money spent, then buy as many as you need to. Basically you will be buying weather insurance that way :-). I can say hubby and son were there from about 1:30 till 6 and it was not enough, but it closed for the day. They ran through the museum portion and barely made it onto the Bowfin. Most of their time was spent on the Missouri. It really is an all day affair if you see it all, and they both said seeing all 4 was the way to go.

We just went to Aulani in May, and hubby and son visited Pearl Harbor. We pre-purchased tickets, and the winds were too strong on the day they went to allow the guests out onto the memorial (the Arizona). They did get to visit the submarine (the Bowfin) and the ship (the Missouri). There were no refunds for the missed portions due to weather. We personally would just take the risk and buy for only one day because I have a hard time throwing money away, but if getting to see it all in great weather is more important to you than money spent, then buy as many as you need to. Basically you will be buying weather insurance that way :-). I can say hubby and son were there from about 1:30 till 6 and it was not enough, but it closed for the day. They ran through the museum portion and barely made it onto the Bowfin. Most of their time was spent on the Missouri. It really is an all day affair if you see it all, and they both said seeing all 4 was the way to go.

That's too bad about the winds. We really want to see the USS Arizona, so even though I don't like to waste $$ either, I think it maybe worth it to plan ahead 'just in case'
We also want to see the Bowfin and the Missouri, and I'm glad your family enjoyed it:) We plan to arrive around 9-9:30am and make a day of it. We're going in Nov so I believe they close at 5pm.
Hopefully, we will have luck on our side and the trade winds won't be bad.

Thank you very much for your help and info :)

The arizona tickets are usually available later in the day. They hold some all day long, not just first thing in the morning. Do NOT just go online and buy a bunch of tickets you're not going to use . You're not really t hrowing money away as the online service charge is negligible.

Tickets for the bowfin and the missouri do not need to be purchased in advance, so whatever day you actually end up at the arizona, you can easily add on bowfin and missouri passes at that time.

I have visited Pearl Harbor twice. The first time, we stood in line at 5:30am and already had at least 100 people ahead of us. By 7am, the line was massive. My understanding, is that when they run out of tickets to the Arizona, that is it for the day. I would not count on tickets being available later in the day. The second time, we got them online and purchase the Bowfin and Missouri tickets once we were already there.

The weather us usually great there so I wouldn't worry about that.

We were there in may also , maybe the same day as we couldn't go to the Arizona either because of the wind. One thing to remember is DO NOT bring any pocket books or camera cases, unless you want to rent a locker. You cannot bring anything but you camera into the park. We knew that and left everything at the Aulani. There were 8 of so we had rented a van. It was broken into while we were there. But they didn't get anything , but only because we were told about that possibility happening. I guess the thieves figured we would leave our stuff in the van since you can't bring it in with you. Just a heads up. By the way the Missouri is awesome. Actually the whole place is.

We were there in may also , maybe the same day as we couldn't go to the Arizona either because of the wind. One thing to remember is DO NOT bring any pocket books or camera cases, unless you want to rent a locker. You cannot bring anything but you camera into the park. We knew that and left everything at the Aulani. There were 8 of so we had rented a van. It was broken into while we were there. But they didn't get anything , but only because we were told about that possibility happening. I guess the thieves figured we would leave our stuff in the van since you can't bring it in with you. Just a heads up. By the way the Missouri is awesome. Actually the whole place is.
Wow. I told DH this but he thought I was just being stupid paranoid. Made it home with all my camera equipment, so all the advice served me well! Glad you didn't lose anything either.

Wow!!!!! Crazy!! Did they damage the vehicle or do they have a way of breaking in without causing damage?
I’m so glad u guys had nothing in your van.
I did read how theft in vehicles is common in Hawaii and mainly rental vehicles.
I do plan on bringing a back pack, but will pay to store it. We will make sure we keep our cash/credit card on our person and leave most things at Aulani that we don’t need.
I really appreciate you posting this! It’s a real eye opener!!

I have visited Pearl Harbor twice. The first time, we stood in line at 5:30am and already had at least 100 people ahead of us. By 7am, the line was massive. My understanding, is that when they run out of tickets to the Arizona, that is it for the day. I would not count on tickets being available later in the day. The second time, we got them online and purchase the Bowfin and Missouri tickets once we were already there.

The weather us usually great there so I wouldn't worry about that.

Wow, you’re good arriving that early. I could never get my DH up at that time on vacation lol
I’m still not sure what I’m going to do, but I appreciate your info and advice.
It’s really not that much money to buy tickets for a few extra days to be safe, so I may end up doing this.
I’m Canadian so it ends up being a bit more with the exchange rate, but not a deal breaker.

The arizona tickets are usually available later in the day. They hold some all day long, not just first thing in the morning. Do NOT just go online and buy a bunch of tickets you're not going to use . You're not really t hrowing money away as the online service charge is negligible.

Tickets for the bowfin and the missouri do not need to be purchased in advance, so whatever day you actually end up at the arizona, you can easily add on bowfin and missouri passes at that time.

Ya, I’m torn on what to do in regards to tickets for the USS Arizona??
We do plan on seeing both the Bowfin & Missouri, and will purchase the tickets once were there, thanks!

We went to Pearl Harbor about 20 years ago. We took the bus from our hotel. Did not know you could not take things into the park. Did not have lockers at that time. There were 4 adults in our party. My husband had a light windbreaker with a lot of pockets. We took everything we were carrying and put it in the pockets. I looked like a chipmunk. So we go through security and they do not even check my pockets.s I had to have 15 pounds of stuff in those pockets!

We have been to the Arizona 3 times, each time with early morning 8 am tickets. We have never not been able to see the Arizona. Usually the winds are light in the am and pick up as the day goes on. Try to get in early and I don't think you will have a problem.

I've been checking their online site and it looks like it should be pretty easy to get one of the late release tickets a day in advance. Right now - 11:30am west cost time - I see at least 50 tickets for tomorrow. The site (https://www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&tourId=317599) says:
1. 1,300 Walk-In tickets are available daily on a first come first served basis at the Park Visitor Center.

2. Each day at 7:00 am on-line ticket inventory is released for the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter