People who ask "Why do you want to go to Disneyland?" with an air of disdain

I have lived and experienced this "Willful suspension of disbelief" firsthand I just never knew this is what it was called!!

Back in 2010 my wife said she wanted to plan a Disney trip as our summer vacation. I, even though I grew up loving the Disney characters and movies, met that idea with zero enthusiasm. Didn't help plan it. Didn't look forward to it either. While at the parks (4 Days), I was not into it. I was hot, stressed out, and I would see people around me (including my family) laughing and having fun and totally enjoying themselves. I didn't get it but I guess deep down I honestly wanted to.

2 years later my wife wanted to plan ANOTHER Disney getaway but this time I told myself I would MAKE myself feed into the hype and enjoy it!! Fast forward 14 years...we've been 7 times and made so many BEAUTIFUL family memories. My wife succumbed to brain cancer (August 2023) but my kids and I LOVE Disneyworld and Disneyland so much so that we are taking a trip to DL in memory / honor of my late wife in June all because of the Disney legacy she left us and the magical world she opened our eyes to back in 2010. It's exactly that for us...once we scan our magicbands, we are in the magical story that is DISNEY.

I love your story of coming around to Disney. You do have to have the right attitude. Sometimes people find it without expecting to, like when my sister was a teenager and was pretty mad one morning - it all washed away once we got to Magic Kingdom. I used to travel with frends a lot. With one friend, when we first started going, we would be so impresed - "How do they do that? Magic!" But then I have this other friend who went, and he's alwyas saying, "It's not magic. Harrrumph." It's like, get out of here, man! He's also the person who was with me and I asked if we should do Pirates of the Caribbean next. He said, "I dunno, it's just a boat ride." 🙄 I thought the line queue was going to jump him! 🤣 I am glad you found your Disney magic. My condolences on your wife's passing too, but the trip in honor or her sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
There is a difference between those who aren't really into Disney and are frankly baffled at the idea of making multiple trips, and those who for whatever reason just want to throw cold water on you.

With the first set, I understand. I feel that way about those who are super into professional sports. I simply don't get the appeal, but I DO get that it makes them happy so *shrug*. The second group I think of as those who are not trying to understand what you love about Disney but are actively trying to undermine your enjoyment. I don't really know the reason why people do that, though.

I have lived and experienced this "Willful suspension of disbelief" firsthand I just never knew this is what it was called!!

Back in 2010 my wife said she wanted to plan a Disney trip as our summer vacation. I, even though I grew up loving the Disney characters and movies, met that idea with zero enthusiasm. Didn't help plan it. Didn't look forward to it either. While at the parks (4 Days), I was not into it. I was hot, stressed out, and I would see people around me (including my family) laughing and having fun and totally enjoying themselves. I didn't get it but I guess deep down I honestly wanted to.

2 years later my wife wanted to plan ANOTHER Disney getaway but this time I told myself I would MAKE myself feed into the hype and enjoy it!! Fast forward 14 years...we've been 7 times and made so many BEAUTIFUL family memories. My wife succumbed to brain cancer (August 2023) but my kids and I LOVE Disneyworld and Disneyland so much so that we are taking a trip to DL in memory / honor of my late wife in June all because of the Disney legacy she left us and the magical world she opened our eyes to back in 2010. It's exactly that for us...once we scan our magicbands, we are in the magical story that is DISNEY.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your wife. She sounds like a wonderful person. And what a beautiful story!

I can't stand people that think others have to explain themselves, or can't take no as an answer when asked to do something you don't want to do.

'because I want to' and 'no' are complete sentences- no further explanation necessary

Ugh. This. My sister in law does this. But, she does it with everything. Shes a generally miserable person. It's sad because her kids are so fun. Some people are just fun killers. Too bad for them. I'm getting a Dole Whip lol
I like to call people like that "thieves of joy". It's a shame that people are that way. I brush off anyone who takes issue with us going to Disney. It makes everyone in our family happy. If it's not your thing, that's fine. It's not the only place we take our kids but it is the one place I can take them and never worry that they won't enjoy it. We only have so many summers left with them before college. Then we get to do it all over again when they, Lord willing, have children of their own. Disney is timeless and I can take them and watch them again become those two little girls who dressed up as Elsa and Anna. I won't trade that for anything.

Disney is timeless and I can take them and watch them again become those two little girls who dressed up as Elsa and Anna. I won't trade that for anything.
Same!! I will always remember my girls (all 21+ now) as little princesses.

My son was into pirates. He now has a son of his own and guess what? He loves pirates, too!

I like to call people like that "thieves of joy". It's a shame that people are that way. I brush off anyone who takes issue with us going to Disney. It makes everyone in our family happy. If it's not your thing, that's fine. It's not the only place we take our kids but it is the one place I can take them and never worry that they won't enjoy it. We only have so many summers left with them before college. Then we get to do it all over again when they, Lord willing, have children of their own. Disney is timeless and I can take them and watch them again become those two little girls who dressed up as Elsa and Anna. I won't trade that for anything.

Next generation aside, you've also instilled something in them they have in common!
I just did a trip with my mom and sister - I'm 39 and my sister is 28. (Never mind Moms age ahaha.)
Something pretty cool about posing together as adults and giggling about superheroes and doing mini facials in the hotel room with winnie the pooh pjs on.
Oh and Dapper day we did too! You don't outgrow it and thats something we all have in common.

I was talking with my dad the other day, and when the subject of our upcoming DL trip came up, he said, "Why do you like to go there?" The way he said it, it was obvious that his attitude was disdainful rather than curious, and that he thought we should be spending our vacation time and money elsewhere. He knows that we've been a number of times, but it's not like we go all the time or that it's our only vacation destination.

So I've been thinking about this question and I think what I like about DL (other than it's just fun) is -- There's a concept, commonly experienced in reading books or seeing movies called the "willful suspension of disbelief," which allows you to have an experience you might not otherwise have by becoming a part of the story and "believing" it is true (or ignoring the fact that it isn't). The willful suspension of disbelief allows you to feel emotions that you don't normally feel, in addition to "experiencing" things you don't normally experience. In many ways, being at DL is like being inside a movie or a book. (Really nice hotels can also do this. They make you royalty for a day). Anyway, I think that's what I like so much about DL, it's literally being in Fantasyland *if* you will let it be that.

I don't think everyone who goes to DL gets this, or maybe they just don't experience it that way. My husband, for example. He goes with us every time, but he doesn't experience it the way I do or that my (now adult) kids do. Personally, I think it's because he never willfully suspends his disbelief. For our upcoming trip, he told me he didn't necessarily need a park ticket every day (gasp!). When he does go, he's frequently checking email or baseball scores on his phone.

Anyway, what I actually said to my dad was, "It's one of the few places we can go that nobody argues and everyone is happy most of the time." Which made it sound like we fight all the time, which isn't true, but for some reason everyone does seem to get along better at DL. It's certainly less stressful than trying to figure out a subway system or awkwardly trying to use whatever limited words we know in a foreign language.

What would you say if someone asked you this question?
Just give em hell whenever they talk about camping. These people don’t deserve an explanation just like we don’t need an explanation for what they like to do. Be it camping (never again!), boating, going to national parks, never leaving their home town or home state, never leaving the country.

Smile and nod then walk away. No time for negative energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter