Philadelphia and Maine

Gino USMC

Semper Fi
Planning a summer trip starting from Virginia Beach to a 1 night stay in Philadelphia and then to Maine for about a week. What are the best RV parks yall have been to? What are some must do's in both places?

Good afternoon, Gino. I'm a former Mainer and we use to camp at Grays Homestead Campground in the Boothbay Harbor area. We enjoyed going on the small beach so the kids could see the crabs, shrimp and fish. You could also order cooked lobster and clams and have them delivered to your site. There are all kinds of campgrounds up and down the coast. If you prefer lakes and ponds there are many of those as well. I used to use the Maine camping Guide. Hope you have a great time. Heres the link, https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/mecoa/campingguide2019/

I am moving this to the main board for more visibility.

If you are going all the way to Maine, I highly recommend the long haul up to Acadia National Park. The scenery is not to be missed. We go for 8 days every year. The Bar Harbor KOA, Oceanside is perfect, you can even get a lobter dinner right onsite. There are some prime oceanfront sites, but they sell out quickly - reserve now. There is public free transportation right from the KOA to the Park and all major sights: Park Loop Road, Whale Watching, Jordan Pond, Carriage Roads, Otter Cliffs, Thunder Hole, Cadillac Mountain, ... We never tire of this gorgeous place. (Photo from our site)fullsizeoutput_1e9e.jpeg

Ditto Acadia in Maine! We've stayed at both Smuggler's Den and Mt. Desert Narrows up there and like them both. Smuggler's Den you can hike the west side of Acadia trails right from the CG, which is nice. Mt. Desert Narrows was pretty convenient for getting everywhere by car or shuttle. So much great hiking and biking up there! Although, it really is getting a bit too popular for it's own good and can get super packed in the summer. It doesn't take much, though, to get away from the crowds out on the hiking trails.

On the way up there, you could think about stopping in Freeport at L.L. Bean and maybe take in one of their classes. DH and I did that a couple of years ago and had a great time doing their shotgun session. Cedar Haven CG is nice for a Freeport visit, smaller and well-kept and outside of Freeport so pretty quiet, but convenient to town. And then from there, a stop in Boothbay would be nice too. If you are into craft beer, you could consider staying at Boothbay Craft Brewing Co. They have a handful of full hook-up sites and some cottages as well.

Whatever you do, make sure to make reservations sooner than later. The summer season really books up!

are you just stopping near Philly for a nights rest or do you plan on doing anything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!