Phil's Adventures in Hong Kong Disneyland - April 2016 *new June 29th - link to PTR added*

Your lunch looked delicious. How much did that cost in us dollars? I tried doing the yen to dollar conversion and kept coming up with a little over a dollar, so I knew that wasn't right.

WDW needs to change their Stitch ride to the way Hong Kong does it.

Wow! That parade and those fireworks are just amazing!

Another fantastic trip report, Phil! Thanks for sharing this wonderful opportunity with us. Hope your upcoming is safe, enjoyable and not too unbearably hot!

Lunch was pretty darn good. What I did in my mind was to figure that 100 HKD was about $15 USD (it actually as a bit less and 110 HKD was about $15USD, but was easier to look at it as 100hkD) so that lunch was around $15-16 USD - and that includes the soup and the drink so I figure not too bad

WDW needs to change their Stitch ride into just about anything ;)

The night time shows were both great - I am glad I got to see them again!

Thanks Annie! I am worried about the heat. We are planning to take a break back at the hotel from like 1 -4pm each day to avoid the worst of the head, but still ... July in Florida. The thinks we do for the DIS ;)

Great report!! Hope your DIS road trip goes well!

Thanks so much! I hope so too! The plan has us with only about 6 hours of driving each day so hopefully that works out ok, but yeah, a little worried

i am super behind on commenting on this TR so I will just stick to your most recent posts. But I did read and really enjoy all of the great information you gave on visiting Hong Kong DL and the area. Thanks for so many great photos and details! I am now itching to get to some of the overseas parks.

And they had giant flames at parts - which, I mean, giant flames!!!!
I LOVE giant flames, don't ask me why because I don't even know! My college has an annual fireworks show that makes use of lots of cool flame effects and it is always entertaining.

I think that was the biggest difference between the U.S. parks (especially Disneyland, but Walt Disney World too) is that they celebrate the history of Disney and how the parks were able to be built and why, etc. - there wasn't that feeling here and I think that made it feel less authentic, if that makes sense.
That's really interesting. I appreciate all of the references to Walt and Disney history in the US parks. I wonder why they would leave that part out. Knowing all of the work and thought that goes into the parks makes me appreciate them so much more.

Below is my view of the Castle and then the view back across the hub and down Main St. All-in-all - not bad!
Very nice! :thumbsup2

This was now the third time I had seen this parade live (once in California and twice here) and it blows me away every time - just amazing technology and the music is perfect and keeps the energy up. Disney really nailed it with this one!
I agree - love it! :lovestruc

It was after seeing those pictures that it hit me that, other than these pictures, there really wasn't any reference to Walt Disney in the park anywhere.
I can't remember - is there a Partners Statue there?

Well, I hope you enjoyed my Trip Report for a trip I never thought I would get to take.
Very much - thanks for sharing it! :goodvibes

i am super behind on commenting on this TR so I will just stick to your most recent posts. But I did read and really enjoy all of the great information you gave on visiting Hong Kong DL and the area. Thanks for so many great photos and details! I am now itching to get to some of the overseas parks.

I LOVE giant flames, don't ask me why because I don't even know! My college has an annual fireworks show that makes use of lots of cool flame effects and it is always entertaining.

That's really interesting. I appreciate all of the references to Walt and Disney history in the US parks. I wonder why they would leave that part out. Knowing all of the work and thought that goes into the parks makes me appreciate them so much more.

Thanks for reading through and commenting though - and glad you enjoyed the updates on Hong Kong

I love flame effects too - I am looking forward to see the ones they added to the new Star Wars show at DHS this upcoming trip!

If you look at the international parks - or at least the Asian ones - they really only got exposed to the Disney company and brand recently so they don't really connect to the history the same way. If you look at Shanghai Disney for example, that doesn't even have a Main St - it has Mickey Ave (so that connection to Marceline, MO that Walt wanted with Main St. isn't there). And their Alice in Wonderland attraction is based on the Tim Burton movies not the classic animated one.

Still, I think it is important to remember where it all started so adding in some more Walt I don't think would hurt ;)

Very nice! :thumbsup2

I agree - love it! :lovestruc

I can't remember - is there a Partners Statue there?

Very much - thanks for sharing it! :goodvibes

Pretty excited I got to see Pain the Night 3 times within a 6 month span or so between California and Hong Kong ... now just for it to come to Florida and I can see it again in the future (though no idea when the next time we go will be after this July)

So I realize I didn't explicitly notice there not being a Partner's statue but now that I think about it I don't think there was, and looking at the map and google maps I don't see one - definitely nothing in the Hub

You are very welcome - thanks for commenting and reading!

I think in Asia they do know Disney, but they don't know WALT Disney. Might not even know that there was a person called Disney making this into a worldwide business. I suspect Disney to most people in Asia is a company or a brand name, not a family name. I think that it's in Tokyo is only because it's much more modeled after the US parks, Hong Kong and Shanghai were more designed with the local guests in mind.

@TheMaxRebo, thank you for your report :) There are not enough reports on the Asian parks! Your pictures of Paint the Night are stunning, what camera did you use and where were you standing? Also, how long before the parade started did you arrive?

I think in Asia they do know Disney, but they don't know WALT Disney. Might not even know that there was a person called Disney making this into a worldwide business. I suspect Disney to most people in Asia is a company or a brand name, not a family name. I think that it's in Tokyo is only because it's much more modeled after the US parks, Hong Kong and Shanghai were more designed with the local guests in mind.

@TheMaxRebo, thank you for your report :) There are not enough reports on the Asian parks! Your pictures of Paint the Night are stunning, what camera did you use and where were you standing? Also, how long before the parade started did you arrive?

Thank you very much! So I used a cheepo Cannon Powershot SX260 ... it's definitely not the best camera but I am definitely not the best photographer and I find this one easy to use takes pretty good pictures has a pretty impressive zoom and fits in my pocket.

For the second night I stood right at the top of the hub against the railing, across from the front of the Castle. I got there about 1/2 hour before Paint the Night started. There were already a lot of people sitting on the curb but plenty of room behind them to stand at the railing.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Yay!!! Awe man, this makes me SO excited for HKDL, we were talking about it the other day and I'm definitely the most excited for HK! Both the city & the park lol. We decided who was doing what for trip videos and I took on HK since the other two seem so much more popular!

I also have to say: read that comment about WDW getting PTN after the 60th ends, and I'm not sure I like that! And that's with me being a WDW person! I think DLR needs to keep it! I DO have a feeling that for the 45th it'll be about time to get new fireworks/nighttime parade, BUT, we also JUST got a new daytime parade, a new castle stage show for daily ops, halloween, AND we're getting a new xmas one! And as much as I LOVE PTN I like it being over in DL. It would cause MAYHEM in WDW lol.

Love the trip report! Love all the pictures, it really does make me super excited to go, I'm glad to know the crowds aren't that bad so that we won't have to stress too much on our last few days of vacation!

Yay!!! Awe man, this makes me SO excited for HKDL, we were talking about it the other day and I'm definitely the most excited for HK! Both the city & the park lol. We decided who was doing what for trip videos and I took on HK since the other two seem so much more popular!

I also have to say: read that comment about WDW getting PTN after the 60th ends, and I'm not sure I like that! And that's with me being a WDW person! I think DLR needs to keep it! I DO have a feeling that for the 45th it'll be about time to get new fireworks/nighttime parade, BUT, we also JUST got a new daytime parade, a new castle stage show for daily ops, halloween, AND we're getting a new xmas one! And as much as I LOVE PTN I like it being over in DL. It would cause MAYHEM in WDW lol.

Love the trip report! Love all the pictures, it really does make me super excited to go, I'm glad to know the crowds aren't that bad so that we won't have to stress too much on our last few days of vacation!

Glad you are excited for Hong Kong - I really did enjoy my time there and found it really easy to get around

Other than for character meets and a few other random things the crowds were super light at Hong Kong Dinseyland .. though I did go on two weekdays so it might be a bit worse on the Weekend.

I hear you about Paint the Night - personally I think it would be great if Disneyland kept theirs and then WDW got their own version with some parts the same but some unique elements so that there is still value is seeing it at both parks ... after seeing it is really does make MSEP looks not so great

Glad you are excited for Hong Kong - I really did enjoy my time there and found it really easy to get around

Other than for character meets and a few other random things the crowds were super light at Hong Kong Dinseyland .. though I did go on two weekdays so it might be a bit worse on the Weekend.

I hear you about Paint the Night - personally I think it would be great if Disneyland kept theirs and then WDW got their own version with some parts the same but some unique elements so that there is still value is seeing it at both parks ... after seeing it is really does make MSEP looks not so great

i think the way we edited our trip our HKDL days have like, one weekend, but we weren't too worried, things like Tokyo on a weekend, yeah, that was worrysome lol!! I know there's a few characters we'll want to try and see, but since contracts are only 6 months there I don't think we'll know anyone there vs like, everyone in the other parks, so we might kinda go with the flow of who we end up seeing!

I have such a love for DEP, like i know it doesn't compare to PTN AT ALL, and the energy levels of everyone during ptn are so insane, but I just feel like the parks need different things, not carbon copies of the same thing. there needs to be a desire to travel to both parks. I do hope they do something new with the parade though

Thanks for sharing your trip. Looks like you had a great time in Hong Kong.
Good luck for the next trip!

Finally finished and now you've made me want to visit HKDL.

TBH, I think you could replace Stitch's Great Escape with almost anything at WDW and find it better, but I do like the idea they've got going there.

People not wanting to ride Space?? Sounds like they a little crazy.

Wow, that food looks great. I wish we had food like that.

You lucked out on your viewing spot for sure, it looks incredible.

I loved the artsy pictures :P And cracked up about the Triton comment.

I wish people here would sit for fireworks, it'd be awesome. Either way though, the fireworks look really well done and the projections as well.

Thanks for sharing this trip with us and letting us experience a bit of HK :)

That was really fun! First TR I have ever read outside of DL and WDW. I would love to go to the DISmeet! It will be fun to at least follow you along on your adventure!

Thanks for sharing your HKDL experience!! DH has a goal in life to visit every Disney park, but to be honest, the idea of visiting Asia intimidates me a little, so I don't know that it will actually every happen. It was cool to get to experience it in a way through your TR!

First, Tinkerbell rounding the corner and then one of my favorite pictures I got as Tinkerbell just looks so derpy:

:rotfl:Been a while since i've heard this word!

08_Mike%20W.jpg

Very cool shot. And you really did score a good spot!

:thumbsup2

Disney really nailed it with this one!

Heck yes they did! Everything about it is perfect, but the music is what makes it for me.

It was after seeing those pictures that it hit me that, other than these pictures, there really wasn't any reference to Walt Disney in the park anywhere. I think that was the biggest difference between the U.S. parks (especially Disneyland, but Walt Disney World too) is that they celebrate the history of Disney and how the parks were able to be built and why, etc. - there wasn't that feeling here and I think that made it feel less authentic, if that makes sense.

That's too bad. Even a statue outside the park before entering would be nice, just to remind people that he was the one that made everything Disney possible.

That is super close, how convenient!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my Trip Report for a trip I never thought I would get to take. I really enjoyed Hong Kong Disneyland - maybe even more than I was expecting. The low crowds really helped (and a huge contrast to what we experienced at California Disneyland back in October) and I loved their Tomorrowland and the food - and Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain Runaway Railway are two of the absolute best Disney attractions. Plus, I kinda, sorta, liked Paint the Night (not sure if that came across or not ;) )

As much as i'd love to visit this park, I know i'll probably never make it to this one (DL Paris sounds more feasible) so thank you so much for doing this TR! Was very fun to read. Now off to read your next upcoming adventure! :bounce:

I love your paint the night pictures! I think i am just as obsessed with paint the night as you are lol

The fireworks show looks awesome as well. The windows are a very cool touch

Thanks for sharing your report, Hong Kong Disneyland is definitely something i want to check out some day.

Thanks for taking us along with you to Hong Kong. I always appreciate all the Disney parks and it is nice to see one I've never had a chance to visit before. Hopefully someday...

I love your paint the night pictures! I think i am just as obsessed with paint the night as you are lol

The fireworks show looks awesome as well. The windows are a very cool touch

Thanks for sharing your report, Hong Kong Disneyland is definitely something i want to check out some day.

I really did get a bit obsessed with that parade. I think just the perfect combination of technology and music and Disney that they just hit a home run with it!

yeah, I really liked that window effect

You are quite welcome - and hope you get there someday!

Thanks for taking us along with you to Hong Kong. I always appreciate all the Disney parks and it is nice to see one I've never had a chance to visit before. Hopefully someday...

Thank you for following! Definitely agree it is nice to see different Disney parks!

DH and I just returned from 4 days at HKDL. We had perfect weather, no rain. As longtime DVC members, we get to WDW and DL a lot, but our first venture outside of the US Disney experience. Agree with you that Mystic Manor is quite special, by far the best ride at HKDL, and could compete as best ride overall when it comes to creativity, although it would take a lot to knock Pirates off the pedestal. I like the fact that it was a nod to local culture and sensibilities, where 'spirits' are a taboo subject, so Haunted Mansion would not have worked out.

The short lines were great, but we came away with the impression that something was missing or different. After some discussion we both agreed that the HK cast members lacked the devotion and passion about all things Disney that is evident at WDW. This is after 4 days of interactions with not just Park cast members but also those at the HK Disneyland Hotel. Maybe that's also the case with Paris and Tokyo? We enjoyed the Halloween decorations and parades, and liked the mash-up of Hyperspace Mountain, the combination of Space Mountain and Star Wars. And our Jungle Cruise skipper spoke great English and made some very hokey puns, as your would expect!

All in all, did not disappoint!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!