Phone Interview Went Poorly (?)

naberrie

Earning My Ears
Hey, I'm super nervous about this, so I thought I would get some opinions from people familiar w/ the process. I just had my phone interview for the DCP and felt it went...really weirdly. My recruiter started by asking questions about roommates, which I think I answered fine, and then followed up w/ 2-3 questions about if I would be okay living with international students/how I would handle living w/ them etc. that I didn't really know how to answer beyond just saying "I'd be totally fine with it!" She also asked me a Yes/No question that I misunderstood and answered really stupidly before she had to say "??? This is a Yes/No question" and I was really embarrassed by the whole thing. & it may be just me but she seemed a little taken aback when I asked to request a location at the end, even though I thought this was a fairly common thing to do...

I also made the mistake of mentioning that I failed a Lifeguard test during my first program and wouldn't be as strong a swimmer as other candidates, which I'm worried made me sound picky or like a weak choice.

I guess what I'm wondering is...how badly do you have to mangle a phone interview to get rejected? I've had two other phone interviews in the past, but I came out of both feeling they went very well. This feels very different than those, but I hope I'm just overreacting out of anxiety.

My daughter just finished her interview with Michelle. They talked for 26 minutes. The interviewer asked a lot of questions about whether my daughter would be interested in being a life guard. It wasn't in her top 5 picks so she thought that was weird. She's not trained in it. My daughter said she'd rather work in the parks. My daughter has a tattoo on her shoulder that can't be covered by a one piece bathing suit (yes they asked). So she said she didn't think she could be a life guard with it and Michelle said it's OK, they wear jackets to cover up. She was asked about living with other people. And even though she listed both parks, she wasn't asked if she had a preference. Michelle told her she'd hear back anywhere from 2 weeks until mid-October.

My PI for my Fall 2016 was a trainwreck. I'll just use one of a few examples-my interviewer asked me about photopass out of the blue and I was totally off-guard. She was like, "what kind of cameras have you used?" and I was like "Um, I've used Canon cameras but not the real big ones... like Canons." I've also heard of people who dropped expletives during their PI on accident and still got accepted! A lot of people think they botch their PIs and end up getting accepted, I know I did! Good luck!

My PI for my Fall 2016 was a trainwreck. I'll just use one of a few examples-my interviewer asked me about photopass out of the blue and I was totally off-guard. She was like, "what kind of cameras have you used?" and I was like "Um, I've used Canon cameras but not the real big ones... like Canons." I've also heard of people who dropped expletives during their PI on accident and still got accepted! A lot of people think they botch their PIs and end up getting accepted, I know I did! Good luck!

This is super comforting, thank you! I'm trying to really think about the PI and figure out if I did as terribly as I first thought, but it's all a blur at this point TBH. I hope I'm just being paranoid and still have a shot! I do think I had a few really good answers mixed in w/ the rambling.

My daughter just finished her interview with Michelle. They talked for 26 minutes. The interviewer asked a lot of questions about whether my daughter would be interested in being a life guard. It wasn't in her top 5 picks so she thought that was weird. She's not trained in it. My daughter said she'd rather work in the parks. My daughter has a tattoo on her shoulder that can't be covered by a one piece bathing suit (yes they asked). So she said she didn't think she could be a life guard with it and Michelle said it's OK, they wear jackets to cover up. She was asked about living with other people. And even though she listed both parks, she wasn't asked if she had a preference. Michelle told her she'd hear back anywhere from 2 weeks until mid-October.

Good luck to your daughter! I'm not trained in it either and found the test and three-day training Ellis gives @ Disney to be super intensive (I got a bad fever halfway through so I was switched to merchandise, but I get the feeling I wouldn't have passed muster it even if I was healthy haha) so she probably made a good call saying she'd prefer the parks. I think the disqualifying tattoo for being a Lifeguard is on the legs/calves, and for QSFB it's if you have tattoos on the wrists (b/c you have to hand people their food).

This is super comforting, thank you! I'm trying to really think about the PI and figure out if I did as terribly as I first thought, but it's all a blur at this point TBH. I hope I'm just being paranoid and still have a shot! I do think I had a few really good answers mixed in w/ the rambling.

I remember being really, REALLY critical of how I performed during my PI for at least a week after it happened. But eventually it became a blur and I came to peace with how I did, especially when I saw how many people claimed they did as badly as I did and still got accepted! Good luck!

I remember being really, REALLY critical of how I performed during my PI for at least a week after it happened. But eventually it became a blur and I came to peace with how I did, especially when I saw how many people claimed they did as badly as I did and still got accepted! Good luck!

Thanks, I really appreciate this. I've been in the same spot, just being critical of my PI and worrying about whether or not I'll get in 24/7, but I'm really hoping I can get it off my mind soon b/c it's gonna be a pretty long wait. Thank you again!!!

Hey, I'm super nervous about this, so I thought I would get some opinions from people familiar w/ the process. I just had my phone interview for the DCP and felt it went...really weirdly. My recruiter started by asking questions about roommates, which I think I answered fine, and then followed up w/ 2-3 questions about if I would be okay living with international students/how I would handle living w/ them etc. that I didn't really know how to answer beyond just saying "I'd be totally fine with it!" She also asked me a Yes/No question that I misunderstood and answered really stupidly before she had to say "??? This is a Yes/No question" and I was really embarrassed by the whole thing. & it may be just me but she seemed a little taken aback when I asked to request a location at the end, even though I thought this was a fairly common thing to do...

I also made the mistake of mentioning that I failed a Lifeguard test during my first program and wouldn't be as strong a swimmer as other candidates, which I'm worried made me sound picky or like a weak choice.

I guess what I'm wondering is...how badly do you have to mangle a phone interview to get rejected? I've had two other phone interviews in the past, but I came out of both feeling they went very well. This feels very different than those, but I hope I'm just overreacting out of anxiety.

I got asked a lot of similar questions as well and feel the same way! I feel like some of the questions were really open to interpretation and others were just kind of confusing. Don't feel alone!!

I got asked a lot of similar questions as well and feel the same way! I feel like some of the questions were really open to interpretation and others were just kind of confusing. Don't feel alone!!

Thank you, that's really comforting to hear! I wish she would have at least given me her name so I could see how other people who interviewed w/ her felt about the process. I really hope we both get in.

Thank you, that's really comforting to hear! I wish she would have at least given me her name so I could see how other people who interviewed w/ her felt about the process. I really hope we both get in.

Same here! Just remember you're not alone in the process! That's what I keep reminding myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!