Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Thanks @dmaxphil !

After experimenting with a few modes I found Expand Flexible Spot to work great with these shots. When you go through so many files you get a real feel for how well the camera (and photographer :D) performed. When the stage was well lit the hit rate was almost perfect. Even in low light the AF hit rate was 90% or better. The buffer on the A7rii seemed endless and left the NEX-7 in the dust. It never slowed down the camera for me and I was shooting consecutive bursts one after another. I was extremely pleased with the results.

I will say that it is a camera you need to spend time with. I imagine a Fuji or Olympus would be easier to use, but once you set up a few custom buttons and learn the modes on the A7rii you're off to the races. Then Fn button has become my favorite - it sends you to a grid menu that allows you to quickly changes the major settings (ISO,SS,f/stop,AF,WB,etc.)

As for surprises - I was surprised how well IBIS works. The complexity of the menu was also a bit overwhelming, you really need to spend time on it. Biggest negative surprise was the battery life. Using the cameras side by side, I feel the battery life of the A7rii is less than half that of the NEX-7. I assume the better EVF and IBIS have a lot to play with that.

I have 2 native FE lenses. The 55mm and the Sony 85mm 1.8.

Both are great but I'm quickly warming up to the 85.

The image quality is a good step up from the NEX-7, especially above ISO 400. My 8mm fisheye no longer renders purple vignetting on this camera. The images also feel much less "digital" to me and I feel the color rendering is much better.

Good summary. Considering giving this exact combo a try + maybe a zoom or the 25mm. Have you tried any of your non-fe lenses? If so, any nice surprises?

What's the next lens on your wish list?

If I were to trade in my Nikon gear for all Sony... I think my basic kit would need to be:
The new 12-24
24-70/2.8 GM
70-200/4 (already have this)
The 85/1.8

I'd probably want the 55/1.8 too.

I need a wide angle. Looking at the 28 f/2 or maybe the 16-35 f/4. Would love the Batis 18mm 2.8 but too rich for me right now.

The 10-18 is useable, but you were right with your assessment; after using the 55 the 10-18 just can't take full advantage of the FF sensor.

I'm mostly a prime guy but the 12-24 and 24-70 really look tempting.

Good summary. Considering giving this exact combo a try + maybe a zoom or the 25mm. Have you tried any of your non-fe lenses? If so, any nice surprises?

I've used all of my Olympus OM Zuiko primes; the 28mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.8. I love these lenses because of their small size and overall rendering; especially the 50 & 100. The 28 I've used as a wide angle and it's ok but nothing special. You could probably buy the lot of them for $200.

I wish I still have my 24mm 1.8 ZA but could only use that in crop mode.

My Minolta 200 2.8 maxxum renders nicely on this camera and the FF focal length makes it more usable for me. Only down side is the screw drive AF which means I either have to shoot manual focus or buy an LAE-E4 adapter (sold mine) which I was never impressed with.

As I mentioned before, the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 works great on this camera (in crop mode). It eliminates all the negatives I had with in on the NEX-7 with no discernible loss in IQ.

I've also picked up an old Vivitar macro zoom that is scratching that itch, but it not the sharpest and also manual focus. This is where I really missed the 24 ZA - it's close focusing distance and 1:4 magnification + cropping ability on a high mpx sensor made it a great "macro type" lens and is partly why it's such a great overall lens IMO. The Sony Zeiss 55 was surprisingly deficient in this regard.

Last edited:
What's the next lens on your wish list?

If I were to trade in my Nikon gear for all Sony... I think my basic kit would need to be:
The new 12-24
24-70/2.8 GM
70-200/4 (already have this)
The 85/1.8

I'd probably want the 55/1.8 too.

The 55 is just a perfect lens for me. Optics are great, and it's small size makes for a nice travel kit. I just talked myself into ordering another one. A7RII + 28 f/2 on the way as well. Having trouble deciding on a zoom or which 85.

New camera arrived today. I'll admit it, I missed the EVF. The files on this thing are big but it's nowhere near as difficult to shoot as my old D800E. I'm seeing lots of sharp, handheld shots with slowish shutter speeds..

New camera arrived today. I'll admit it, I missed the EVF. The files on this thing are big but it's nowhere near as difficult to shoot as my old D800E. I'm seeing lots of sharp, handheld shots with slowish shutter speeds..

Congrats! Let me know what you think of the 28/2.

Was able to play with the 28mm tonight. Impressive sharpness, but bokeh seems a bit distracting at times. This seems like it would be an awesome street/landscape lens. For the money, I think I'll be happy with it.

35471514292_77cd403980_k.jpg

35471513082_a3fb8fdbfe_k.jpg

Here's a couple of shots from last night. I can say with certainty that one of my kids has completely lost interest in posing for dad.

35451102202_d23d68e9cc_z.jpg

34777158074_19ffff88f4_c.jpg

Was able to play with the 28mm tonight. Impressive sharpness, but bokeh seems a bit distracting at times. This seems like it would be an awesome street/landscape lens. For the money, I think I'll be happy with it.

35471514292_77cd403980_k.jpg

35471513082_a3fb8fdbfe_k.jpg

Here's a couple of shots from last night. I can say with certainty that one of my kids has completely lost interest in posing for dad.

35451102202_d23d68e9cc_z.jpg

34777158074_19ffff88f4_c.jpg

Thanks for the photos - and I certainly know the feeling. I'm down to my dog and he's starting to give me a hard time -lol! I guess there's always self portraits.

I was thinking the 28/2 as a carry around lens for my upcoming WDW trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts