Photobucket just blew up billions of photos online.

Arrrrgh yeah. That was the former part of my week - relocating all photos uploaded to the 'net since 2004... that was no fun.

Oh well, hope Photobucket enjoys going out of business because everyone I know is deleting their account. Nobody I have encountered has said they paid PB's ransom.

And yes, I know that business has to evolve, but I really shake my head at this move. If they couldn't afford to run the site without advertising, then they should have never started the business model of "free image hosting" on the Internet. And GOOD GRAVY my biggest issue with this is that PB deliberately marketed to customers for over a decade, "This is what you need so you can post photos on message boards, internet forums and sales groups!" Now... they are ransoming people's account contents in a punitive way, after persuading customers to use their service.

I wouldn't pay a Disney restaurant to give me food poisoning on purpose; I won't use Photobucket if they are going to tell me for over ten years, "You're good, you're using our services the way we want you to," but suddenly, "We said free. we know we said free. But guess what? You owe us $400 dollars, you can't access your account, and definitely NEVER use the links we provide to you, to actually LINK to any of your pictures!"

It's kind of inaccurate to suggest that you cannot access your account. On their official statement it clearly says you can still Login to your account and download all of your photos if you desire. They just took away the ability to use the service for free if your use did not allow them to present the ads that paid for the service or you had a paid account at that subscription level.

Don't get me wrong, they handled the transition badly, there is no question about that. But people really do need to learn that the Internet is not FREE- everything has to be paid for in some form or fashion or you can expect something like this to happen again. Every service on the Internet has to have some sort of revenue model or it does not survive. If you are using it, and it truly is 'free' it probably will not be around for long and you should have an alternate plan.

Last edited:
I spent my day resizing all my photos, and attempting to replace them in my TR by uploading the file directly to Disboards. My problem is, the 10 photo per post limit. I have way more than that in each post. Any suggestions on what to do for a completed report? I figured I'd chop the report into smaller sections with 10 photos per post, but when I make new posts they're going to go to the back of the TR, so it'll be all out of order. Are people re-writing their TR's? I feel like thats the direction I'm going.

Since all my photos since about 2002 are digital they are too large for directly posting on the DIS.

And I wouldn't go through the effort of resizing and fighting the 10 pics per post limit; I would find an inexpensive photo host.

I spent my day resizing all my photos, and attempting to replace them in my TR by uploading the file directly to Disboards. My problem is, the 10 photo per post limit. I have way more than that in each post. Any suggestions on what to do for a completed report? I figured I'd chop the report into smaller sections with 10 photos per post, but when I make new posts they're going to go to the back of the TR, so it'll be all out of order. Are people re-writing their TR's? I feel like thats the direction I'm going.

Flickr is still free (up to 1TB of data).

Other basic services run $50-$100/year. Smugmug & Zenfolio are 2.

I really don't think it's a good idea to rely on anything that is 'free', especially since Flickr is now under new management after the sale of Yahoo to Verizon.

Got my email yesterday from photobucket, the photos all disappeared from my posts today.

fractal...which site would you recommend for cropping photos? Those of us active on the thread Where In The World are struggling to find a site that allows us to crop photos for our game. We take a photo:

IMG_9346_zpsdde2a768.jpg

...and find a small crop:

9aacc11e-506f-4eb2-9365-b6097b3f1d24_zps3ikmwswh.jpg

...the other players ask questions and attempt to pinpoint the location of the crop. One of the members can not find how to crop her photos on Flickr. We've all been using Photobucket because of it's ease in cropping photos. Also, IF we can "beat the clock", is there a way to transfer our Photobucket photos to a new site? I have mine stored on Snapfish and I'm looking at months of work trying to get my Disney photos to another site for use here on Disboards. We'd appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks. pixiedust: :tink:

I know that SmugMug has cropping options (mostly used I guess by photographers selling their photos) but there are tons of free photo editing programs that do this also such as GIMP, Paint.net; Photo Pos Pro, and Photoscape. Some are much more user friendly than others. Here's an article profiling each and how to download etc. I love Paint for my screen print editing. Cropping is so easy in Paint. Some computers come with Paint included.

If I crop I either crop in a program before uploading to SmugMug or if after uploading to SmugMug I download the photo to my computer and crop, edit etc. as needed and then upload again.

gypsolelady, I know that you're very busy and probably don't want to learn any editing programs. But you may find that you can easily do this. And given that you only need to post a new game photo say, once a week or month this might work. Or maybe your group could designate a non-game player to crop photos for people in your situation. I would do it for you if needed.

If you get truly desperate and want help cropping in something like Paint I could help you use a simple, safe program called Team Viewer that would allow me to see your computer screen as you try to crop etc. and help you as you work. I use this app monthly with my 88 year-old mother when I troubleshoot problems on her computer. It's just a thought.

The main thing is just to get those photos downloaded to your computer (if needed) for safety; then choose your photo hosting program.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I was using it for here - so now all my reports are useless. Zero notice, and honestly the fee is too obscene for me to pay just to post pictures of junk I've eaten on vacation. Pretty disappointed, but will find another service to use.

I know that SmugMug has cropping options (mostly used I guess by photographers selling their photos) but there are tons of free photo editing programs that do this also such as GIMP, Paint.net; Photo Pos Pro, and Photoscape. Some are much more user friendly than others. Here's an article profiling each and how to download etc. I love Paint for my screen print editing. Cropping is so easy in Paint. Some computers come with Paint included.

If I crop I either crop in a program before uploading to SmugMug or if after uploading to SmugMug I download the photo to my computer and crop, edit etc. as needed and then upload again.

gypsolelady, I know that you're very busy and probably don't want to learn any editing programs. But you may find that you can easily do this. And given that you only need to post a new game photo say, once a week or month this might work. Or maybe your group could designate a non-game player to crop photos for people in your situation. I would do it for you if needed.

If you get truly desperate and want help cropping in something like Paint I could help you use a simple, safe program called Team Viewer that would allow me to see your computer screen as you try to crop etc. and help you as you work. I use this app monthly with my 88 year-old mother when I troubleshoot problems on her computer. It's just a thought.

The main thing is just to get those photos downloaded to your computer (if needed) for safety; then choose your photo hosting program.

Hope this helps!

:thumbsup2 I may take you up on that offer. Some DAYS we go through 2-3 crops on our game, depending on how active everyone is on the thread that day. :rotfl2: Summer is usually slower so we'll have time to learn. Busy yes but "unmotivated" fit me today :rotfl:; I'd intended on working on this most of the day but between the Hallmark Channel Christmas in July movies (LOVE Christmas movies) and DGD's and the swimming pool :beach: it's been a pretty lazy day for me. I'll try to do better tomorrow! I've looked at SmugMug and it seems to "fit the bill" but like some of your ideas even more. THANK YOU and will get back with you on tutorials. :goodvibes :tink:

Photobucket user.

No notice whatsoever!

Looks like all my pictures and TRs are going to be hosed shortly. Guess I'll have to investigate jumping to SmugMug.
But from the commentary on the web, there is no guarantees that the other image hosting sites will not start implementing similar policies.

ETA - I just checked my plan and it looks like I'm allowed to link pictures. I'm just not allowed to use them as a 3rd party host.

Princess...PM me if you don't mind with your plan classification. I'm wondering if my plan might mean the same thing; not sure but do know I can't use them as a 3rd party host. Sure would solve a lot of problems for me if that's the case but then again, I don't really trust PB since this issue came up "out of the blue"! :headache: I'm probably going to move away from them anyway but would be nice to know if I could do it gradually. :goodvibes Thanks. :tink:

:thumbsup2 I may take you up on that offer. Some DAYS we go through 2-3 crops on our game, depending on how active everyone is on the thread that day. :rotfl2: Summer is usually slower so we'll have time to learn. Busy yes but "unmotivated" fit me today :rotfl:; I'd intended on working on this most of the day but between the Hallmark Channel Christmas in July movies (LOVE Christmas movies) and DGD's and the swimming pool :beach: it's been a pretty lazy day for me. I'll try to do better tomorrow! I've looked at SmugMug and it seems to "fit the bill" but like some of your ideas even more. THANK YOU and will get back with you on tutorials. :goodvibes :tink:

Wow; that game's faster-paced than I thought! Ask for help anytime....other than the 12th and 13th when we are having 2/3 of our house recarpeted (Nice result but work first UGH!).

Wow; that game's faster-paced than I thought! Ask for help anytime....other than the 12th and 13th when we are having 2/3 of our house recarpeted (Nice result but work first UGH!).

Yes Ma'am, some pretty "Disney savvy" players and we have SO much fun trying to give other players headaches! :headache: :rotfl2: Good luck on the carpet...I "feel your pain"; just had some repainting done. :faint::faint::faint: :tink:

Deleted convoluted post about setting up a FLickr account.

Last edited:
I had not been on photobucket in forever. I have a paid acct. but that will change. can anyone tell me if there is still a way to download entire albums from photobucket to my pc? i googled it but everyone says there should be a link that says download album. there is not. I can download 1 at a time but I have over 16000 pics on there HELP!

I had not been on photobucket in forever. I have a paid acct. but that will change. can anyone tell me if there is still a way to download entire albums from photobucket to my pc? i googled it but everyone says there should be a link that says download album. there is not. I can download 1 at a time but I have over 16000 pics on there HELP!

I'm going through the same thing now with some of my photos only in reverse. Having to transfer from the printing site, Snapfish, to PC and then to SmugMug so I can share here. Worked HOURS before my time was up with Photobucket but ran out of time. I may have even more than 16000 Disney pics and, like you, tried to download albums from Photobucket. At that time the "album transfer" on Photobucket was not working. I sent them an email and they said they were "aware of the problem and were WORKING ON IT". Must be one hell of a problem if they're STILL trying to get it fixed. :headache: Can you tell I'm STILL furious with them for pulling that kind of stunt on us...and I was a "paid member"...not the "deluxe package" but I did pay more to store photos than the "free amount". Sorry...but I'm guessing you're out of luck too. :sad2: :tink:

I'm going through the same thing now with some of my photos only in reverse. Having to transfer from the printing site, Snapfish, to PC and then to SmugMug so I can share here. Worked HOURS before my time was up with Photobucket but ran out of time. I may have even more than 16000 Disney pics and, like you, tried to download albums from Photobucket. At that time the "album transfer" on Photobucket was not working. I sent them an email and they said they were "aware of the problem and were WORKING ON IT". Must be one hell of a problem if they're STILL trying to get it fixed. :headache: Can you tell I'm STILL furious with them for pulling that kind of stunt on us...and I was a "paid member"...not the "deluxe package" but I did pay more to store photos than the "free amount". Sorry...but I'm guessing you're out of luck too. :sad2: :tink:
wow, that's just crazy... most of mine are either on another pc or camera memory sticks but I still want to make sure I have them all, so I am downloading 1 t a time to a newer pc... ugh... pisses me off

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!