Physicans at WDW

nancyL

<font color=green>WL Vet<br><font color=red>My AP
Im hoping to get a variety of opinions on this one- we are leaving (check that out- next week! Yippee) shortly for our WDW vacation and 2 of my 3 kids have been seriuosly exposed to strept throat in the past 3 days. The 8 year old has 2 very good friends both have it (one spent the night Sat night), the 6 year old has been playing outside for 2 days w/ a kid that came down w/ it this morning. (the one that hasnt been exposed is 2 but in daycare so Im sure he has been exposed, I just dont know it) Bottom line, there's a very good chance that at least one if not all three of my kids will have strept on our vacation at the WL.
Im into the convienience thing and have found two services that make 'hotel room house calls' namely, Doctors on Call and Main Street Physicians. I have also heard that rX can be delivered directly to your room if medication is prescribed.
Has anyone had experience w/ either of these? Please describe- I want to be prepared. (ie- how long did it take for the MD to arrive in your room, how much did it cost, etc).
thanks!
nancyL

My DD needs injections weekly due to severe allergies and I was told that Centra Care Walk-in Medical Care would be great. Many people had used it for emergencies with great success. I however, knowing that my DD was going to be in need of specific needs called ahead. This is OK for emergencies but will not be available for me. I called ahead and found a DR. that takes my insurance and will be able to treat my DD if something happens during our 2 weeks in FL. If you know you are going to need a DR. it never hurts to call ahead to make sure you'll be covered and where you should go. In this case the Walk-In Clinic would have cost us a BUNDLE!

BTW, the Clinic's phone number is 407-239-6463 and if they don't take your insurance they will refer you do another line for a listing of other DR.'s.

Nancy,

Call your own Dr. before you go and tell him what you have told us. My guess is that he will work with you in one way or another. If he knows your kids well he might go ahead and give you a prescription along with a list of symptoms to watch for and when to treat. He might have you to call him at his office while on the trip if in fact the kids do get sick. That has always been our Dr's advice on how to handle a medical situation while away. Call them! Knowing that your children have been exposed will make a diagnosis easy over the phone. In the meantime, do everything you can to make sure that thier imune systems stay strong and perhaps able to fight the germs. Make sure they eat well and get lots of sleep. Try not to worry and think good thoughts!!

Jordan's mom

I sure would call my doctor, he may just give you a prescription to take just in case. I would think they would get the strep infection while you were home anyway, not after you've left, so you would have a couple days with them on antiboitics anyway. When one of my kids is diagnosed with strep, my doctor always says to just call if the other one starts showing signs. You don't want to deal with doctors in another state if you don't have too. JMHO Tonia

Call your doc for an RX. I never go to WDW w/o an RX for an antibiotic. If one is needed it is invaluable. Most doc will give you one to keep on hand for a trip such as this. You won't be sorry!

I agree with the other posters, that it's ideal if you can get your Pediatrician at home to give prescriptions 'just in case' or to call in prescriptions if needed. If that doesn't work though....

When we are at WDW this past year, my 2 year old got a weird rash around his mouth, wasn't eating, and had a fever. His sister had had strep the week before. The BWV 'newsletter' received at check-in provided the number for the Centra In-room Doctors, so I made an appointment with them. I decided to pay the extra for the in-room to avoid getting exposed to anything else and to avoid sitting around the urgent care waiting room. The Doctor showed up at the scheduled time, indicated that his throat had sores on it, so he concluded he did have strep, and he prescribed an antibiotic. He also prescribed an antibiotic ointment for the sores around his mouth. He called both prescriptions into the pharmacy for room delivery. The in-room visit cost us around $150, but again, I chose that for the convenience. The prescriptions though cost us another $125.....mostly because of the antibiotic ointment (which I didn't think we really even needed since he was being put on an oral antibiotic.) I was really sorry that I hadn't just had him write me a regular prescription so that I could go to a local pharmacy and use my prescription drug card! The worst part of it was that a day later, we figured out that our DS had been misdiagnosed.....once he ended up with sores on the palms of his hands and on his feet we realized he had Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease, so the antibiotics weren't even needed. That's all hindsight though. Faced with the same situation, I'd still use the in-room Dr., but I'd only use the pharmacy delivery if absolutely necessary (or at least I'd check the cost before I agreed.)

Good luck with your trip! Hopefully the kids won't get strep!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter