PIF changes

Sleepyluke

DIS Veteran
Have any of you with PIF dates in the last month or so seen any changes? Our PIF date is coming in about a month for a fall cruise. I assume we pay as though we are going and hope insurance or 125% kicks in if it gets moved?

we are going to the World if the cruise does not happen but don’t have the cash to PIF for the cruise ans then have to pay for the World all in a couple months. Anybody else in a similar situation, or have we gotten there yet, since all are still shut down?

I believe DCL is sticking with their standard PIF and cancellation policies at this time for cruises embarking after 7/27/2020. You can PIF now and take a chance on your cruise will be cancelled, or you can cancel take the refund now for cash-in-hand. If you want to hold out for the 125% FCC, you must PIF - but that won't give you enough funds back to pay for WDW (only taxes and port fees are refunded if you take the FCC).

I believe DCL is sticking with their standard PIF and cancellation policies at this time for cruises embarking after 7/27/2020. You can PIF now and take a chance on your cruise will be cancelled, or you can cancel take the refund now for cash-in-hand. If you want to hold out for the 125% FCC, you must PIF - but that won't give you enough funds back to pay for WDW (only taxes and port fees are refunded if you take the FCC).
I believe the August cruises had the extended 30 days to PIF..no idea about after that.. I know our 8/3 Dream cruise does. We are in the penalty phase though. If I don't pay by the new date I would lose my deposit. (We paid over the weekend. I doubt the cruise will happen though.)

Even if PIFs are delayed, I believe the normal/published cancellation policy still applies

Our PIF was last month (although it was extended a month we did it on the usual schedule so that we could book onboard activities). I decided to pay the final payment using my Disney Visa because it qualified for the 6 month no interest promotion. Would that be something you would consider? This way according to Disney you would be PIF but you wouldn't actually have to pay any of your money until you know for sure if it is sailing. Ours is now cancelled and we rescheduled for next year.

Even if PIFs are delayed, I believe the normal/published cancellation policy still applies
We were scheduled to sail one of the European cruises and had the option to extend PIF. However, The DCL representative was really nice and made sure we fully understood that by doing that, all of the funds went into penalty and could not be refunded. We opted for a refund.

Oh, I am really glad you are posting this and that the DCL rep explained this carefully. Our PIF date is in July and I haven't actually checked, if it was moved (I assume not!?), but I'm leaning right now on the refund.... it will hurt to lose our OBB credit.... :(
We were scheduled to sail one of the European cruises and had the option to extend PIF. However, The DCL representative was really nice and made sure we fully understood that by doing that, all of the funds went into penalty and could not be refunded. We opted for a refund.

Oh, I am really glad you are posting this and that the DCL rep explained this carefully. Our PIF date is in July and I haven't actually checked, if it was moved (I assume not!?), but I'm leaning right now on the refund.... it will hurt to lose our OBB credit.... :(
Yes. It was painful. We lost our OBB by cancelling, but if we had paid it in full, DCL would have been holding a ton of our money In uncertain times. I think they would have honored the OBB if we had kept the PIF and moved the funds to a different date, though.

we are going to the World if the cruise does not happen but don’t have the cash to PIF for the cruise ans then have to pay for the World all in a couple months. Anybody else in a similar situation, or have we gotten there yet, since all are still shut down?

Just making sure you know that WDW is currently not accepting any new bookings for the next few months.

I feel for you! You think so re: they would have honored it? That gives me some hope... because we would probably move it, if they'd let us keep the OBB by one year to Nov 2021, but they haven't released those itineraries... and yes, you are right, these are uncertain times!

Yes. It was painful. We lost our OBB by cancelling, but if we had paid it in full, DCL would have been holding a ton of our money In uncertain times. I think they would have honored the OBB if we had kept the PIF and moved the funds to a different date, though.

I'm really questioning if this is true. We're also on an European cruise with an extended PIF (which is next Monday) and a lot, a lot of passengers have been cancelling in the last week (so after the original PIF, but before the extended one) and nobody reported they didn't get a full refund, but I guess I'll be back soon to let you know, as I'm about to move our cruise (and if we do loose our deposit, I have a non-Covid reason that our travel insurance will cover)

I'd like to confirm that when you're PIF is extended, the cancellation policy is ALSO extended!
I just called to move our cruise, original PIF was May 2nd, new PIF June 1st and there was no cost to move our cruise to a different sailing. She even said we'd still get the OBC because of the OBB, just not the discount (which sounded odd to me, we'll see what happens, I'm hoping our original cruise gets cancelled and we'll get our OBB and 125%, but I'm not holding my breath)

Last edited:
I'd like to confirm that when you're PIF is extended, the cancellation policy is ALSO extended!
I just called to move our cruise, original PIF was May 2nd, new PIF June 1st and there was no cost to move our cruise to a different sailing. She even said we'd still get the OBC because of the OBB, just nog the discount (which sounded odd to me, we'll see what happens, I'm hoping our original cruise gets cancelled and we'll get our OBB and 125%, but I'm not holding my breath)
Really? Good to know, and thank you for reporting! I am about to call to reschedule mine, but we are in doubt when our new cruise would be, late January from Miami on the Magic, or Mid March from San Diego on the Wonder (I change my mind about this almost every hour ;-) )

They probably have changed it as it must have confused guests to have a delayed PIF date but cancellation policy remained the same.

Really? Good to know, and thank you for reporting! I am about to call to reschedule mine, but we are in doubt when our new cruise would be, late January from Miami on the Magic, or Mid March from San Diego on the Wonder (I change my mind about this almost every hour ;-) )

They probably have changed it as it must have confused guests to have a delayed PIF date but cancellation policy remained the same.
Not sure, people in our group called when it was just announced and they were told the cancellation policy would change also, so it might just have been one CM who had the wrong information (which could apply either way honestly)

I'm really questioning if this is true. We're also on an European cruise with an extended PIF (which is next Monday) and a lot, a lot of passengers have been cancelling in the last week (so after the original PIF, but before the extended one) and nobody reported they didn't get a full refund, but I guess I'll be back soon to let you know, as I'm about to move our cruise (and if we do loose our deposit, I have a non-Covid reason that our travel insurance will cover)
We made our decision mid-March (PIF was then)...Right before the world exploded in covid. She was VERY clear for our cruise, at that time, everything would go into penalty. There were no cancelled cruises at that time and There has been so much happen since then, policies may have changed. We did what was best for us with the options we had at the time.

We made our decision mid-March (PIF was then)...Right before the world exploded in covid. She was VERY clear for our cruise, at that time, everything would go into penalty. There were no cancelled cruises at that time and There has been so much happen since then, policies may have changed. We did what was best for us with the options we had at the time.
Ah, thank you for you explanation, it sounded like you're cruise had an extended PIF (like ours), but they didn't extend the PIF's until much later

Our PIF is Thursday and there has been no extension at all. People have asked but they aren't budging on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter