Pin Trading

Feberin

DIS Veteran
How big of a thing is it? Will my kids realize it's a thing if we don't tell them about it? My kids will be 2, 4, 7 and 10.

Most cast members have lanyards with pins, resorts have pin boards. They will probably realize its a thing.

However, It can actually be a lot of fun and makes for some cheap souvenirs if you go prepared. I bought some new pin sets on ebay for trading for a much more affordable price then the parks.

I actually don't think they'd notice. But my kids were 9, 7, 5, 3 & 5 months on their last trip. The four oldest loved it! Already talking about it for their next one.

You’re oldest 2 will probably notice. My DS12 loves to pin trade. Get cheap ones off amazon and let them trade for what they like. DS doesn’t care if they are rare, collectable, or expensive. He just likes seeing what he can trade up for. He does have a few that have meaning but he doesn’t trade them. My nieces and nephews (11,8,8,4) all got hooked on pin trading last trip. It’s cheap, fun, and cuts down on the “I wants” in the gift shop!!!!

Can anyone link to cheap ones that aren't going to get me in trouble? I saw a thread a ways back that said there are fake pins. Also what's like the minimum I'd need to get? I don't want to buy a lot if they don't get into it.

I just make sure I check the reviews on Amazon and use a seller that has a ton of reviews. I have used it a few times for starter pins and have never had more than 1-2 pins that looked suspicious. You can get them for about $1 a pin ( I paid $40 for 50 at Christmas and split them between 5 kids) and a lanyard for 6-10 bucks. 10 pins are plenty to get a little one started. Any fewer and you might find yourself having to buy some at the parks ( they will have some that they won’t trade because they “love this one”) and they are way more expensive there, $6-$20 a piece.

I just make sure I check the reviews on Amazon and use a seller that has a ton of reviews. I have used it a few times for starter pins and have never had more than 1-2 pins that looked suspicious. You can get them for about $1 a pin ( I paid $40 for 50 at Christmas and split them between 5 kids) and a lanyard for 6-10 bucks. 10 pins are plenty to get a little one started. Any fewer and you might find yourself having to buy some at the parks ( they will have some that they won’t trade because they “love this one”) and they are way more expensive there, $6-$20 a piece.

Thank you! I had looked at the Disney store at that was part of my hesitation. Do they just wear them all the time?

Mine wears his most of the time. He carries a string backpack and will stuff it inside for some rides but that’s just by his choice, he wouldn’t have to. The CMs in the gift shops ( and sometimes at rides) all either are wearing pins or will have a pin board. This is a great learning opportunity for the kids. They need to ask politely to see their pins and its up to the kid if they see one they want they can point it out and trade, if not, politely say thank you. It’s great for kids that need to work on shyness or just to reinforce manners. I have even seen some CMs let you keep your original pin. My nephew only had 1 and traded it about 10 times and then a CM gave him an extra to trade. My kids also quit asking for souvenirs in the shops, they just wanted to see what pins they could trade.

Can anyone link to cheap ones that aren't going to get me in trouble? I saw a thread a ways back that said there are fake pins. Also what's like the minimum I'd need to get? I don't want to buy a lot if they don't get into it.
Any eBay seller that sells opened pins in lots where the actual pins are not specified in the listing is selling fakes. They might be very good fakes, but they’re fakes. If the listing says they are “tradable” that’s a red flag for fakes. If the listing works out to be under a dollar a pin, they are fake.

The listings for specific pins are less likely to be fakes. It’s not guaranteed, but if you can see the actual pins (good pictures front and back) in the listing, you have a better chance of getting genuine pins.

For the best chance of getting real pins, buy unopened lots. There are people living near the parks/outlets who scoop up clearance packs, and sell them for under retail. The prices are typically higher than the super cheap scraper lots, but usually work out to a decent discount over buying directly from Disney.

No matter which you choose, you are unlikely to “get in trouble” for trading fakes, because CMs generally accept any trade that has the Disney logo on the back, even if they strongly believe it to be a fake.

This also means that as the day goes on and CMs trade with more guests, the chances increase that you’ll be getting a fake from a CM. If this bothers you, trade earlier in the day when the lanyards are fresher.

I’m not going to go down the path of ethics of fakes and scrappers because that’s been done to death in other threads. Some people care, and some don’t, and I have yet to see a debate change anyone’s mind.

I did well searching on ebay for brand new packs, I was able to get them for half or less of the original sale price and dont have to worry about them being scrappers.

My kids are 11 & 8 and have been pin trading since they were both 5 years old. It can be expensive but if you stick to the starter/variety packs it is a wonderful way to get them to engage with other guests, use their manners and interact with cast members. And they feel a big sense of accomplishment whenever they make a trade for a new pin! They are convinced they are going to find the ultra rarest pin and be able to help mom and dad retire early!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter