Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

I’m a pibble fan and I totally get what you’re saying. It’s silly to compare the two.

I get what the poster is saying too. My little Pommie couldn't do much damage at all if she bites. But the fact is, if she was aggressive it would still be a problem.

My other small dog, is limited in having the run of the house sometimes because he has shown aggressiveness.

People should not feel everything is 100% fine because they don't own a bully breed. Not sure, but that's what I took as the meaning behind the pp's post about the Chihuahuas.

I am so sorry you have to watch that and go through that. My sil had a small dog that was killed by her brother's dog. Its heartbreaking.

No one thinks they aren't capable of it. Any large dog is capable of it.

I posted on this very subject here in 2006, where I was grief stricken. My 45 lb "hound" dog killed my 13 lb Jack Russell Terrier. I have been permanently scarred by this. Any dog is capable of such behavior, especially when there are vast size differences in dogs. I found out (too late) that my hound had a very high prey drive toward small, fluffy things (I had her assessed after the incident). I kept her once my vet and the behaviorist told me that this was actually "animal" behavior. Once I knew that, she never went near another small dog again and we never had any other issues out of her for another 12 years (she lived until she was 18). You would have never looked at this dog and thought she had it in her.

I posted on this very subject here in 2006, where I was grief stricken. My 45 lb "hound" dog killed my 13 lb Jack Russell Terrier. I have been permanently scarred by this. Any dog is capable of such behavior, especially when there are vast size differences in dogs. I found out (too late) that my hound had a very high prey drive toward small, fluffy things (I had her assessed after the incident). I kept her once my vet and the behaviorist told me that this was actually "animal" behavior. Once I knew that, she never went near another small dog again and we never had any other issues out of her for another 12 years (she lived until she was 18). You would have never looked at this dog and thought she had it in her.

So sorry you had to deal with that. It is traumatic to witness something like that. And it has to be hard not to see your dog differently after something like that. I am glad you went to the experts and found out the things you did and were able to enjoy your dog for so many more years.

I'm sure it varies by state but here, any pet adopted from the humane society has to be fixed. If, for some reason, they can't be ( too young, health issues, etc) then the adopter has to put down a deposit that they don't get back until they can prove it's been done.

I was shocked at how many people came through an adoption event DS and I were at who wanted an unaltered dog and declined to adopt when told it was a requirement.

Me too, I thought one of the humane society directors was going to blow a gasket when one guy told her he was looking for a mate for his male dog, cause he wanted puppies.
So they can make money off the dogs! :headache:

I don’t understand why any reasonable person would want to own a Pitt bull. The continual sticking up for the bread on this thread is reduculous. The are banned in the area I live in Canada and existing grandfathered in ones have very strict restrictions. There aren’t many left, thankfully. There is a reason pttt bulls are banned and other breeds are not. And the reason isn’t that the breed has a false or imagined reputation.

I proudly own a pit bull. I guess that makes me unreasonable.

Spay and neutering should be done for cats and dogs in general--it helps reduce overpopulation issues..

These are two completely different and equally controversial topics-if we have such a huge pet overpopulation issue why did shelters and rescues import more than 1 million dogs to meet the demand for rescues? If we are euthanizing dogs in that are born here Korean meat dogs need to stay in Korea.

While I agree that most pet owners should spay or neuter there is beginning to be a significant boy of evidence that says dogs-especially large breed live longer healthier lives left entire. Its a slippery slope because the AR groups would like us all to spay and neuter so dogs become extinct. But there are responsible breeders in the world who don't randomly produce puppies. Sadly there are way more loosers who just wanna make a buck off puppies

Any dog can bite or injure people-small are large. The damage from large dogs tend to be worse as they are larger. Small dogs in general tend to display more aggression. I once saw a statistic that said the dog breed most likely to bite is a Chihuahua.

I witnessed two 'rescue pitties' that were " the sweetest boys ever who would never hurt a flea" pull and 11 month old Shih Tzu puppy literally in half. It did not endear that particular variety of mixed breed dog to my heart.

These are two completely different and equally controversial topics-if we have such a huge pet overpopulation issue why did shelters and rescues import more than 1 million dogs to meet the demand for rescues? If we are euthanizing dogs in that are born here Korean meat dogs need to stay in Korea.

While I agree that most pet owners should spay or neuter there is beginning to be a significant boy of evidence that says dogs-especially large breed live longer healthier lives left entire. Its a slippery slope because the AR groups would like us all to spay and neuter so dogs become extinct. But there are responsible breeders in the world who don't randomly produce puppies. Sadly there are way more loosers who just wanna make a buck off puppies
I'm not aware of what you mean by "import more than 1 million dogs to meet the demand for rescues".

You're compare the general advice of spay and neutering pets to the Korean dog meat industry? God I just want to vomit anytime I think about it.

I personally don't advocate for the spay and neutering of ALL dogs and cats. What happens all too often is people get dogs or cats without spay and neutering them. They then have puppies and kittens and those puppies and kittens end up dumped, given to the shelter or rescue (putting an even bigger strain than there already is) or in not good environment. It's basically being proactive on that aspect to have cats and dogs spayed or neutered prior to adoption. And sadly I have first hand knowledge of what I described with my in-laws and other people. I also have good first hand knowledge of a litter of puppies with my dad and step-mom (they kept one of the puppies as well). The simple answer is there's too many people who fall into the former statement for the advice of spay and neutering not to be a common and generalized comment.

If enough people did it the impact would allow those who are responsible breeders or for those who don't want to coexist with people who do spay and neuter (sorta like herd immunization--'bout the only thing I can think of that's similar enough). It's not about elimination of cats and dogs to me it's about controling the population by a much better means than euthanizing when space and resources run out-sorta like getting ahead of the issue by being proactive.

Don't worry if the decades of Bob Barker telling you to spay and neuter your pets hasn't been able to make enough of a dent in the strays, dumped, dropped off at the shelter, left in horrible conditions, then I don't know what will (interjecting a slightly light-hearted comment).

I'm not aware of what you mean by "import more than 1 million dogs to meet the demand for rescues".

You're compare the general advice of spay and neutering pets to the Korean dog meat industry? God I just want to vomit anytime I think about it.

t).

So not sure if it is deliberate or I didn't give enough separation but you connected two unrelated statements. I was pretty clear that they were two UNRELATED but controversial topics.

Rescues-particularly retail rescues in the United States imported more than 1 million dogs from the Far East, Turkey and the Middle east in 2017-they were imported specificially to meet the demand in the united states for "rescued dogs" IF there is such a HUGE issue with overpopulation in the US then WHY WHY WHY are we importing dogs from the Korean meat trade-or the thousands of golden retrievers that are brought in from Turkey, bringing with them strains of diseases that are in known and promptly begin killing dogs in the US. MY statement was-IF we are Euthanizing so many dogs in the US then the Korean meat dogs need to stay in Korea. When we are not euthanizing dogs born in the US then we can look outside for 'rescue' dogs.

There was NO relationship between the Korean meat dogs and the spay neuter statement-you simply chose to read it that way.

I believe in spay neuter for companion animals that should not be bred and never said otherwise.

So not sure if it is deliberate or I didn't give enough separation but you connected two unrelated statements. I was pretty clear that they were two UNRELATED but controversial topics.

Rescues-particularly retail rescues in the United States imported more than 1 million dogs from the Far East, Turkey and the Middle east in 2017-they were imported specificially to meet the demand in the united states for "rescued dogs" IF there is such a HUGE issue with overpopulation in the US then WHY WHY WHY are we importing dogs from the Korean meat trade-or the thousands of golden retrievers that are brought in from Turkey, bringing with them strains of diseases that are in known and promptly begin killing dogs in the US. MY statement was-IF we are Euthanizing so many dogs in the US then the Korean meat dogs need to stay in Korea. When we are not euthanizing dogs born in the US then we can look outside for 'rescue' dogs.

There was NO relationship between the Korean meat dogs and the spay neuter statement-you simply chose to read it that way.

I believe in spay neuter for companion animals that should not be bred and never said otherwise.
Ok I had a response all typed out but decided against it. Let's just say I'm done talking about Korean dog meat industry it's making me sick. Let's agree to disagree and move please.

If you don't mind me asking, how long had you had the Jack before the incident took place? And so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine the pain it's left you with.

I have to say I've never heard of this "importing dogs" from other countries.

I have to say I've never heard of this "importing dogs" from other countries.

One of the rescues I was visiting occasionally took in a dog from the "meat trade." There is a big rescue group overseas (in Thailand I believe) that at any given time has about 1,000 dogs and they are constantly searching for rescues from all over the world to take these dogs as they are rescued from a dire end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter