Planning a potential solo trip.

Keren

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I'm new to the DIS forum and came across this lovely area for solo travellers.

To get a little bit of a background I'm a single woman and desperate to go back to WDW and just Florida in general. I'm very independent and do enjoy my own company at times! My friends all have boyfriends and aren't enthusiastic about doing girls holidays as they'd rather go away with their partners. This is why I am planning on going to Florida on my own. So I have many questions to ask you solo travellers!
I'm very active and probably won't spend much time in my hotel as I love exploring!

1. Is 2 weeks too long for travelling solo?
2. My biggest worry was eating alone. Does anyone have any tips about eating in places?
3. I have always been to Florida with family and it is normally a tradition that we go as a family but understandably my parents don't want to fork out for my sister and I. I have always been willing to pay my way but my sister is another kettle of fish.. which makes my parents reluctant to go as we would have someone missing. How does everyone else feel about going without family?
4. How did travelling solo benefit you?
And...
5. I will probably be staying onsite next year.. if I want to do a bit of shopping or go to universal, is it generally safe for a young female to go out and about?

If I think of anymore questions I will ask :)

Many thanks!
KLY.

We have done 2 weeks with Disney and never set foot in a park:
2 nights at VB
7 night DCL
5 nights at BCV.

If you are going to do US/IoA/CW be sure to book a stay at one of there onsite hotels for their FOTL access and early park entry.

Depending upon what you are into, things you can do at WDW without going to the parks:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Last edited:
Hi Keren. I can only answer from a more older male perspective but going solo is great. Eating on your own is an advantage as almost everywhere can squeeze you straight in whilst the party of 4 have to wait 30 minutes +.

1. No. 2 weeks isn't too long for traveling solo.
2. A typical concern. Many have it. I do. I don't really have any tips. I've had terrific solo meals and I've had solo meals where I felt awkward. At disney all the wait staff is used to solo eaters and have always been wonderful and kind to me.
3. I feel that going without family can be liberating. The first solo trip takes some adjustments but getting into the swing of it doesn't take long.
4. I can't think of how traveling solo was a benefit to me. I really enjoy it. I tour at my own pace. But benefit? I'll have to think about that.
5. In general it's safe. Don't get so into the Disney Bubble that you stop paying attention to your surroundings. Taking Uber or Lyft to Universal is just as safe as anywhere. Disney and Universal are probably safer in general than NY or LA.

I've been visiting WDW solo for over ten years now and have really come to love it! My husband is NOT a theme park guy and once I got used to the idea of being alone at such a family-oriented place I really, really liked it.

It would be too long for me. I tried it once and got more than a little homesick. This was with admission to Universal and SeaWorld as well as WDW so it wasn't that I ran out of things to do. I just missed home.

2. My biggest worry was eating alone. Does anyone have any tips about eating in places?
This was the hardest thing for me. I began making solo trips in 2007 and only got up the nerve to eat in the sit down places last year. I found QS much less stressful in the beginning. I still avoid character meals and group seating (Biergarten, Teppan Edo) and usually read on my phone during meals. I was pretty self conscious at first but it's getting easier and I'm enjoying the better food and the down time I get in the table service places.

3. I have always been to Florida with family and it is normally a tradition that we go as a family but understandably my parents don't want to fork out for my sister and I. I have always been willing to pay my way but my sister is another kettle of fish.. which makes my parents reluctant to go as we would have someone missing. How does everyone else feel about going without family?
We always went as a family, often with extended family. My husband is not a fan and my kids are grown so for me it was pretty much go solo or not at all. I missed them at first but got used to it. Most of my family doesn't really care if I go without them, maybe our daughter but she's waaaay to busy. If your family is anything like mine prepare to be kidded about it. Around here anyway:
Solo ski trip for DH=way cool
Solo Disney trip for me=Mom's such a dork

Practically it made WDW a lot easier. I can use single rider lines and FastPasses are much easier to get for a party of one. I can go on my schedule (early to bed, early to rise) and not worry about anyone else. If I want to have that Mickey ice cream or ride Expedition Everest five times in a row there's no one to complain. There's no one to share things with either but it's a trade off I can live with. We were there with DD and DSIL in February and, while I had a great time with them, I did miss the freedom of solo travel every now and then.

On a more personal level-I was a SAHM then an in-home caregiver to my in-laws for over 20 years before my first solo trip. WDW all by myself was a huge step for me! I've gotten a lot more independent and have learned to comfortably drive long distances and to stay in hotels alone even outside the Disney bubble. This comes in handy now that we have a grandbaby 7 hours away!

And...
5. I will probably be staying onsite next year.. if I want to do a bit of shopping or go to universal, is it generally safe for a young female to go out and about?
I was 47 when I began my solo travels so not young but I've used Uber to and from my Universal resort several times and felt comfortable. I'm not a shopper and never out late though so not really much experience with that.

Happy trails!

... If your family is anything like mine prepare to be kidded about it. Around here anyway:
Solo ski trip for DH=way cool
Solo Disney trip for me=Mom's such a dork

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif

clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif

If your family wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

Last edited:
Two weeks would be too long for me.

Bring your phone, Kindle, or tablet and read, check social media, or play games to occupy your time while waiting for your food. Practice eating out or going places by yourself while you are at home to get used to it.

I would probably prefer to go with family, but solo trips are enjoyable too.

There is a lot to be said for doing only what you want to do without needing someone else’s input or approval.

I don’t know specifically about trips to Universal or other offsite locales, but as far as traveling as a solo female, I would say WDW is pretty safe, even after dark. That being said, you still have to be aware of your surroundings, make good decisions, and put safety first as you would in any other location.

Yay you! I'm doing my first solo trip this October, so I cannot speak from experience, rather share your exuberance. I don't think two weeks is too long. I once sailed upon a cruise ship for 27 consecutive days, other people asked "Aren't you ready to disembark and hit solid ground". My response was "Heck no, you will still see me dragging my feet, clinging to the gang plank as they force me to go." I settled on ten days for my upcoming solo adventure and plan to do some tours, as I am now just paying for me. I have the same apprehension about table service by myself, so I will probably opt to sit at an adjacent bar for practice! Have a great time. I have a feeling this experience will open up a whole new world for you.

For me, two weeks is more vacation time then I want to give-up at once. 8-9 days is usually fine for me (5 days off work)

I second the suggestion that you try eating alone before you go. Bring your phone and use it to distract yourself. Text a friend, post to social media, read a book or magazine on it. The more you do it the more comfortable you will become (hopefully)

I have enjoyed Disney with friends and with family, but solo is completely different. I don't have to speed up or slow down, but set my own pace. If I want to wait 45 minutes for a ride I can, or I can skip it. I often snap a picture of a favorite ride or show of my family/friends and text it to them during a meal. Just to let them know I am thinking of them and our past trips together fondly.

I find traveling solo to be very freeing. When I go with others, I am often the planner. This means I am always a little worried about if they are having fun. I have to drag people in the right direction for our ADRs or fastpasses. Or . I have to explain why we aren't doing something (I couldn't get the ADR for Cinderella's table) and then explain why you can't just get a table anywhere. I don't have any of that alone. I have my plans which I can change at any point and won't feel bad about. If I get tired and decide not to make it to the fireworks, that is ok. Plus, solo rider lines.

I have done universal solo, but I drove my own car. As long as you are ok with uber/lyft/taxi, then going to universal should be fine. I never felt uncomfortable there, its just a slightly different feel than Disney.

Be safe. be sensible, and be open to whatever happens. I have had some lovely conversations with people, even meet an off duty cast member who was riding solo before her shift started.

I tend to do a lot of counter service when I go solo, but those are usually quick trips. For table service, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want company, go to Biergarten as you will be seated at communal tables. There might be a few other places like that too. But, hey, just do what you want to do, and don't worry about anyone else. That's the beauty of going solo.

Oh, and :welcome: to the DIS!

It would be a little long for me, but maybe not for you! I've traveled solo before, but mostly by extending my business trips by just an extra day or two. I finally decided to start taking 3-4 day trips by myself and increased it from there. I'd love to do two weeks at some point, although that's probably my limit. I have a friend who backpacked solo across Europe and Latin America, and a female coworker who went to southeast Asia by herself for 3 months... so there are many people who can do more than two weeks. You might be one of them!

I usually eat quick service in the parks, but have had great solo meals in the resorts and at Disney Springs. Aside from vacationers, there are a lot of people who come to Orlando and WDW for conventions and work, and spend a few days enjoying WDW. If you keep your eyes open, you'll see plenty of them. All of the servers have been really hospitable. Buffets are a good way to start, such as at Boma, where you can get your food immediately after you're seated and eat at your own pace. I don't have much interest in the places with communal tables like Biergarten, but some people like to be seated with strangers. Overall, I wouldn't worry too much about dining solo. Even cast members go into the parks all the time when they're not working, and sample different things by themselves. Also, if you're concerned about safety, you don't have to tell people that you're vacationing alone... let them assume you might have arrived earlier than the rest of your group, or split off from them temporarily.

I had always wanted to go to WDW, but didn't have family/friends with the interest or budget to do so. Having business trips in Miami and Atlanta, I felt so close but passed up the chance out of not wanting to go without family. I finally got to go to Orlando on business and decided I had to stop at the parks. It was only then that I realized that I was just missing out by waiting around for others.

I feel a lot more confident about traveling now. WDW is a nice safe place to start solo adventures and I've extended that to other cities in the country. I'm looking forward to branching out to solo trips internationally.

Have a great trip!

I travel solo for 2 weeks at a time. It never seems to be long enough. And I have no issues with eating alone. I have had meals at a lot of Disney sit down restaurants, including Biergarten where they put you with other people. I never feel awkward, it is all up to you to decide if you feel weird since no one around you cares if you are solo).
As for benefits, you are enjoying your life and not sitting around watching your life pass you by. I wish that when I was younger I did more things by myself. But back then woman where made to feel more afraid of going out on their own. Go and have fun.

Can confirm that some cast members go to the parks solo on their days off -- I did that on almost all of my days off during my Disney College Program days. It was a little strange being alone in the parks at first, but it very quickly becomes normal. Most cast members are very used to seeing solo travelers, and most guests are too absorbed in their own affairs to notice what anyone else is doing.

I'm not sure if two weeks is too long! I think one can find plenty to do in WDW for two weeks; it's mostly (as others have said) a question of whether you'll be happy traveling alone that long. I'm doing a two week solo trip to Europe this fall, which will be the longest solo trip I've ever taken, and I'm honestly not sure whether it will be too much. I know that on solo trips I expect to have ups and downs -- I suppose that's any trip, really, but when I went on my solo cruise in January there were a couple times I retreated to my stateroom to let myself cry out various emotions. It was a wonderful trip and I have zero regrets, would absolutely do it again, but there's something really emotionally intense (at least for me) about doing these things alone.

Thirding or fourthing or whatever-ing the suggestion to practice eating alone in local restaurants where you live. That was something that intimidated me as well for a long time, and it meant I missed out on eating at all the fun restaurants in WDW back when I had a CM discount (boooo). Eventually, though, I just...started doing it. I still take myself out for solo meals sometimes just for a treat. I find it does help to have a phone to play with or a book to read, though in WDW there's usually so much to look at in your surroundings that you may find you don't need it. I do eat most of my meals at QS locations when I'm solo, but that's because a.) I like to just grab food whenever I'm hungry rather than keep a schedule and b.) dining experiences are a lower priority when I'm building my budget. I do try to get one or two fun TS meals in, though, even on solo trips. Last time I did Boma -- really great food. I couldn't afford to eat at a buffet like that every day, but I was glad I did it once on the trip.

If you're not planning to spend much time in your hotel room, I'd go for a value resort. I personally prefer a moderate when I can afford it, but if it's just a place to sleep...eh. Why spend the money? I will say that I'm a big fan of afternoon breaks in more recent years, which is probably a sign that I'm getting old. Art of Animation is the newest and shiniest of the values, which does unfortunately mean it's the least likely to have any discounts, ever. In my opinion there's not much difference between POP and any of the All Stars, though the All Stars are older, so if you go that route I'd just pick on price or theming, whichever is more important to you. Since you're planning to be there so long, you might consider a split stay, too -- the advice I've heard is to start at the cheaper resort so the second resort feels like an upgrade rather than a downgrade. And, too, you could do part of your trip at Universal and then transfer to a Disney resort, though that does create more logistical issues with not being able to take the Magical Express both ways from/to the airport. I do personally think onsite is best, particularly when you're solo -- you may want to rent a car for part of the trip if you plan to go offsite, but for the most part I find it very convenient to be able to take the provided transportation. You always have a designated driver that way.

There are many threads about safety and eating alone so I won't spend too much time on that, but I'm a late 20s female and I've always felt safe at Disney alone. Just use common sense, especially if you decide to drink. Eating alone isn't as big of a deal as people think it is - no one is paying attention to you! Again, lots of threads for the best restaurants and with tips, so I'd browse through this forum to find them. I personally bring my Kindle so I'm not bored (that goes for when I'm in line too). I like going solo because I don't have to spend my trip trying to keep other people happy. As the one who loves Disney and goes a lot, it falls to me to either accommodate the people who don't normally get to go, or to keep happy the person (DH) who doesn't really want to be there in the first place. I do whatever I want, whenever I want, for however long as I want. That's absolutely the biggest benefit to me! As for 2 weeks...that's up to you. I always worry that I'll get bored or lonely solo, but I always leave wishing I was staying longer.

Each time I go, I want to stay longer the next time. For me, a week-10 days is about right. I would enjoy myself for a full 2 weeks but would be missing my own bed and my cat by the end.

Take a book or magazine, people watch, go to a sports bar where you can watch the game. Eating alone can be weird at first but once you are used to it, it is no big deal

Happy and relieved :) But your family may be less crazy than mine is.

I'm a woman in technology, in a high pressure company. I didn't even realize how constricted I felt until I went on vacation solo. I didn't have to be the nice girl. I didn't have to be accomodating. I didn't have to be careful how I said things or what I wore or to act a certain way to be respected. Going on vacation solo is like coming home from work, kicking off your shoes and putting on sweats. It's awesome.

It's like being solo any place else. Don't drink too much, watch you purse, and you'll be fine. Honestly, I have never felt in any danger at Disney

I agree with everyone else on the safety thing.. It's probably the safest place to be. But definitely use common sense, that goes without saying I guess :)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the DIS forum and came across this lovely area for solo travellers.

T1. Is 2 weeks too long for travelling solo?
And...

KLY.

1. For me it would be. I travel solo a fair amount - but I am part of a couple and 2 weeks would feel too long. I do think 9 days is fine for me. It's also hard for me to miss two full weeks of work at one time. But - I've met a couple times now solo travelers who travel for very long times alone - months. Note - they tend to be retired or from a country where taking a month off is not unusual.

2. My first couple of solo trips - I took a journal to write in during meals so I wouldn't be paying attention to the fact I am solo. Nowadays - I could care less - I'll eat anywhere solo - including character meals! It can take a bit of getting used to. For a newbie solo traveler who might not have reached their comfort zone yet - I recommend having a game or book on your phone to seem engaged in if you are feeling uncomfortable as a solo.

3. Occasionally my significant other tries to make me feel guilty about leaving him at home. But I pretty much remind him that its his choice he isn't going and that's not my fault (He doesn't like to travel as much and he has less vacation time). But in general - it's your money, your life, you are an adult, family dynamics are important - but don't let them rule your decisions.

4. HUGELY. It does actually make me appreciate my family more. The ability to do things for me - without making others happy - means I get to do what makes ME happy during the trip. No compromises. Being able to do this for myself on occasion makes me a more giving/flexible person when I am with family/those I love. I'm an introvert - so the recharging is great for my work performance, too.

5. Yes - but use some judgment - especially off property or late at night. If you are driving over to Universal for the day - just park in the garage like everyone else. When leaving at night - it might feel creepy to be one of the last folks leaving for the day - so just leave with the masses at park closing. Or - stay a night at a Universal resort and use their transportation. Traveling alone as a female - I recommend avoiding bars late at night - but places that also serve food are fine for lunch or dinner before it gets too late. A lot of the greater Orlando area is typical suburban American - and I feel as safe there as I do at home - and that's most of the area close to WDW and Universal. I've done some "out of the tourist" area dining for dinner - and seen some parts of Orlando and Kissimmee that have made me say to myself - hey - I need to pay attention to my safety here - but its been just normal city smart stuff. On property - either WDW or Universal - the only places I don't like as a single female are (1) the Boardwalk late at night when its mainly deserted and (2) Citywalk really late at night (once some guys were getting rowdy in a place at Citywalk when I was eating a late dinner - and it just put me on edge (I'm sure the bartender was on guard, too).

Start eating at places at home so you get used to eating alone. You can always post here to find someone to meet up with if you want. I am making my first solo in October and am looking forward to time by myself, including table service. From the posts I have read, it seems like you would not be the only solo in the restaurant.

Start eating at places at home so you get used to eating alone. You can always post here to find someone to meet up with if you want. I am making my first solo in October and am looking forward to time by myself, including table service. From the posts I have read, it seems like you would not be the only solo in the restaurant.

I go solo annually and eat where ever I like. I have no problem at Biergarten when they sit you with others since there is no expectation of holding a conversation with your table mates. I think it would be weirder to meet a stranger and try to hold a conversation while eating, then just eating alone. But that is me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!