Planning a trip to London and Edinburgh for honeymoon

When I lived in Edinburgh I used to forget about it and it was something that just blended in to the sounds of the city. Every so often though I would be out and about and it was funny to see tourists get startled by it.

For London have you thought about doing a Hop On Hop Off bus ? They often include extras like a river cruise. I did one last year and it had a Jack The Ripper walk included
I had looked into doing a Jack the Ripper tour a while back. That could be interesting. I didn't want too much planned for my birthday, but one thing would be nice.

Do you know the restaurant in Edinburgh called The Kitchin? I was watching a travel show and they mentioned it and said it had really good food. Was thinking of booking that.

I had looked into doing a Jack the Ripper tour a while back. That could be interesting. I didn't want too much planned for my birthday, but one thing would be nice.

Do you know the restaurant in Edinburgh called The Kitchin? I was watching a travel show and they mentioned it and said it had really good food. Was thinking of booking that.

Thats new, it opened after I had moved from Edinburgh. I had a quick look at their website, it looks like a fine dining restaurant. They have sample menus on the website. They list the 3 course Al A Carte at £80 per person, which to me is fine dining prices. To compare, I am staying at Raddisson Ble Hotel, and 3 course Al A Carte is approx £40 per person. Its not in Edinburgh city centre, its located down at the Edinburgh docks / waterside area called Leith. It would probably be a 15 minute taxi ride from the city centre.

Thats new, it opened after I had moved from Edinburgh. I had a quick look at their website, it looks like a fine dining restaurant. They have sample menus on the website. They list the 3 course Al A Carte at £80 per person, which to me is fine dining prices. To compare, I am staying at Raddisson Ble Hotel, and 3 course Al A Carte is approx £40 per person. Its not in Edinburgh city centre, its located down at the Edinburgh docks / waterside area called Leith. It would probably be a 15 minute taxi ride from the city centre.
Do you think we should do our fancy meal in London instead? I want to do one nice meal for my birthday. I didn’t realize that one isn’t in walking distance.

I live in Edinburgh and if you are a Harry Potter fan (im guessing so from doing the london tour) theres a few places you should check out here:

• The Elephant House, its where JK Rowling would go to write the first book.
  • Behind the elephant house is Greyfriars Kirkyard where she got inspiration for alot of character names, youll see some on the tomb stones!
  • Victoria Street is where she got the inspiration for Diagon Alley and there are 2 Harry Potter shops there as well
  • George Heriots school, which is round the corner from Elephant house is where she got inspo for Hogwarts!
  • Theres also a Harry Potter tour i think that shows you places around the city

Im biased cause I live here haha, but Edinburgh is a much nicer city then London, so you should defintely spend a day here :)

I live in Edinburgh and if you are a Harry Potter fan (im guessing so from doing the london tour) theres a few places you should check out here:

• Behind the elephant house is Greyfriars Kirkyard where she got inspiration for alot of character names, youll see some on the tomb stones!
  • Victoria Street is where she got the inspiration for Diagon Alley and there are 2 Harry Potter shops there as well
  • George Heriots school, which is round the corner from Elephant house is where she got inspo for Hogwarts!

Im biased cause I live here haha, but Edinburgh is a much nicer city then London, so you should defintely spend a day here :)

I did most of this on my recent rip to Edinburgh :) Totally forgot about Greyfriars, brought my parents there years ago, before Harry Potter mania

Thank you!! I'll check these out. So we are spending a week in Edinburgh, but we are doing day tours all over Scotland every day except our arrival and departure day. We'll have a lot of time to explore the city after 6pm every day if you have any suggestions what we should do at night?

Do you think we should do our fancy meal in London instead? I want to do one nice meal for my birthday. I didn’t realize that one isn’t in walking distance.
Thank you!! I'll check these out. So we are spending a week in Edinburgh, but we are doing day tours all over Scotland every day except our arrival and departure day. We'll have a lot of time to explore the city after 6pm every day if you have any suggestions what we should do at night?

Unfortunately I don’t often go out at night (I don’t have any friends here except my fiancé) so I can’t suggest anything unfortunately. But there’s a lot of nice restaurants and bars! If you’d like somewhere with a bit more life, I’d suggest grassmarket, there’s a lot of pubs there and a few restaurants :)

Unfortunately I don’t often go out at night (I don’t have any friends here except my fiancé) so I can’t suggest anything unfortunately. But there’s a lot of nice restaurants and bars! If you’d like somewhere with a bit more life, I’d suggest grassmarket, there’s a lot of pubs there and a few restaurants :)
Any restaurant in particular you'd recommend?

Also random question, do you watch Game of Thrones. I'm trying to figure out which night it airs over there. It airs here on Sunday, but I think it might air there on Monday?

sorry Im biased, I have to recommend my old work place Hard Rock Cafe Edinburgh. Some of my work mates from 14 years ago are still there :)

When I lived there, Edinburgh had great night life, depending on what you are looking for.

Grassmarket area is full of random little pubs and bars.

The Royal Mile is the tourist trap area

New town area the Hanover Street / George Street / Rose Street also has bars and restaurants. Open up Google Maps and find Hard Rock Cafe and zoom in and you will find this area.

Garibaldis night club on Hanover Street used be the Hard Rock staff place to go after work, not sure if it still is.

All Bar One, a bar opposite Hard Rock Cafe was another place we used to go

The PlayHouse is the the main theatre, where touring productions of Broadway / West End shows perform. Check their website for their current listings.

There is also an Odean cinema near The Playhouse and there are a some restaurants and bars in that area too.

Any restaurant in particular you'd recommend?

Also random question, do you watch Game of Thrones. I'm trying to figure out which night it airs over there. It airs here on Sunday, but I think it might air there on Monday?

I Agree with badpinktink Hard Rock Cafe is great! But if you want to try something different some nights , I’d recommend howies on Victoria street, really nice Scottish style food. If you like sushi and ramen, I love maki and ramen! If you’d like a nice look over towards leith and the sea, you should go to John Lewis, which is a really nice department store! The top floor has a cafe and it has windows over looking the north of the city (At least I think it’s north). Burgers etc I recommend bread meats bread which is on Lothian road !

sorry Im biased, I have to recommend my old work place Hard Rock Cafe Edinburgh. Some of my work mates from 14 years ago are still there :)

When I lived there, Edinburgh had great night life, depending on what you are looking for.

Grassmarket area is full of random little pubs and bars.

The Royal Mile is the tourist trap area

New town area the Hanover Street / George Street / Rose Street also has bars and restaurants. Open up Google Maps and find Hard Rock Cafe and zoom in and you will find this area.

Garibaldis night club on Hanover Street used be the Hard Rock staff place to go after work, not sure if it still is.

All Bar One, a bar opposite Hard Rock Cafe was another place we used to go

The PlayHouse is the the main theatre, where touring productions of Broadway / West End shows perform. Check their website for their current listings.

There is also an Odean cinema near The Playhouse and there are a some restaurants and bars in that area too.
Thank you! I don't think we'll too much clubbing in bars, but we are total foodies. I love broadway shows, I'll check out their site to see if anything good is showing when we are there. I have a friend who works at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando, that would be fun to check out over there.

I Agree with badpinktink Hard Rock Cafe is great! But if you want to try something different some nights , I’d recommend howies on Victoria street, really nice Scottish style food. If you like sushi and ramen, I love maki and ramen! If you’d like a nice look over towards leith and the sea, you should go to John Lewis, which is a really nice department store! The top floor has a cafe and it has windows over looking the north of the city (At least I think it’s north). Burgers etc I recommend bread meats bread which is on Lothian road !
All that sounds great! And I definitely love department stores lol. My birthday falls on the trip so I will be doing some shopping.

Thank you! I don't think we'll too much clubbing in bars, but we are total foodies. I love broadway shows, I'll check out their site to see if anything good is showing when we are there. I have a friend who works at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando, that would be fun to check out over there.

All that sounds great! And I definitely love department stores lol. My birthday falls on the trip so I will be doing some shopping.

It’s really nice to wander around and sells nice clothes, homeware, gifts, fabric, etc! Around it is a lot of construction at they’re building a large new mall! But it’s still nice to visit :)

Edit: also if you visit some of the larger shops on princes street like primark, be aware that the floor layout is kinda confusing ! they have half floors, which means you can only get to that floor from a certain floor, it’s so confusing haha! But if you get stuck just ask one of the colleagues for directions :)

Edit: also if you visit some of the larger shops on princes street like primark, be aware that the floor layout is kinda confusing ! they have half floors, which means you can only get to that floor from a certain floor, it’s so confusing haha! But if you get stuck just ask one of the colleagues for directions :)
LOL that sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out. My trip is so close I'm so excited :)

I leave for my trip in exactly a week! I'm so excited. I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me plan it was so helpful!
so exciting :) dont forget Im in the same timezone as Scotland. If you need any help with anything, send me a PM on here

Heya.
Bit late to the thread - looks like you've planned an awesome trip!

I live in London and grew up near Windsor so if you have any questions when you're on the ground I'll be watching this thread and keen to help out. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Heya.
Bit late to the thread - looks like you've planned an awesome trip!

I live in London and grew up near Windsor so if you have any questions when you're on the ground I'll be watching this thread and keen to help out. Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Thank you!

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me with planning my honeymoon. It went perfectly, like literally nothing going wrong for two weeks amazingness. It only rained one day out of two weeks. I couldn't have done it without all of your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!