Planning European Vacation-help please!

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
We are trying to plan a trip to Europe to celebrate DD's college graduation. I am well versed in trip planning for the USA, but have only done it a couple of times for Europe, and the last time was several years ago. I'm looking for tips and suggestions. I am budget minded (ex. will will prob often go into a market and pick up bread and cheese and have lunch rather than going to a restaurant every day)
Here are some general thoughts/plans we want to work on
Three weeks, beginning in early June. The first two would be my DD and I. We are open to staying in almost any type of accommodation as long as it is safe. Hostel, hotel, B and B, Air BnB, whatever. The third week DH will come over and join us.
Her dream itinerary would include Prague, Amsterdam and Vienna. I'm not sure that we will make all that happen, but it's where we are starting to look. The trip could end up looking very different if we find an amazing deal, because at heart she wants to go EVERYWHERE! So feel free to give me all your ideas.
Ready, set, go!!!!

Traveling to and from other countries in Europe is relatively cheap. I think doing Prague, Amsterdam and Vienna in a week is doable.

I loved, loved, loved Prague. We were there for only 3 days, and it was not nearly enough time!

We stayed at an AirBNB and it was awesome. I will try to get that info for you. The host was great, and while she was embarrassed with her English, she was a godsend navigating something for us related to tickets for the nutcracker that we had purchased, but had not been received before we left for our trip. Our host also picked us up from the airport, and she arranged for the cab to take us back.

In Prague, we did a free walking tour (but you tip your guide at the end) which was great. We toured the castle early in the day by ourselves, we saw the Nutcracker, did a dinner river cruise, did the tour of the cool really old library. We also spent time at the Christmas markets!

Our air bnb host was: Pavla, Pavla Švandy ze Semčic, Prague Prague 5, Czechia

Her location is actually a building that was refurbished into 3 or 4 separate apartments. Very close to public transportation, although we walked to a lot of places in addition to taking the bus.

My kids spent 3 weeks in Europe post college graduation. Everything packed in backpacks from REI. Stayed in hostels (Dublin, Munich) and AirBnBs (Budapest, Athens, Rome). Flew from Dublin to Munich. Overnight bus from Munich to Budapest. Flight from Budapest to Athens. Train to Rome. They were part of a group of 5, they planned it all so I'm basing my info on what I remember. They wished they had had more time in Munich (spent 3 nights), loved their very hospitable AirBnB host in Greece. They thought Dublin and Budapest were ok, but not great.
I agree to get airfare locked down pretty quickly. Enjoy the planning - how exciting!

We did a budget trip in Italy, it was fantastic. Gas, parking, flights, trains, and metros were about $2200. Our apartments for 20 nights were $1999.xx. We had a few admission tickets here and there. We shopped and cooked like locals. Groceries were only a few dollars over what we spent in the US. We did Venice, Rome, and Milan.

Expect Vienna to be expensive, but Prague is more affordable. What about adding Budapest instead of Amsterdam? Those are all pretty close

Does your DH have a preference for which city he joins you in? That could determine your itinerary. With three weeks, you can easily see Amsterdam, Vienna, and Prague. You could also add Budapest and/or somewhere in Germany, depending on how much time you want to spend in one city and your interests.

I spent 6 weeks traveling around Europe the summer after I graduated from college; we hit 15 cities in that time, so only 2-3 nights in each city. This was almost 15 years ago now, but out of your DD’s three choices my favorite was Prague. I went back there with my DW (along with a first time in Budapest, which I also loved) about 9 years ago and loved it just as much. It’s just a really cool/interesting city, and I find the Cold War history of Eastern Europe fascinating.

I’m not much help with accommodation or restaurant recommendations since I was there so long ago, but if you have any general questions about any of the cities, feel free to ask! Oh, I would check out Rick Steves website. His focus is Europe travel with a budget slant so you may find useful recommendations there.

BIG Rick Steves fan here! Go to the library (or Amazon) and check out his Europe Through the Back Door book for general planning ideas, as well as his individual guide books for Prague, Amsterdam, and Vienna. https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Europe-Through-Back/dp/1631216252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514675551&sr=8-1&keywords=europe+through+the+back+door+2018. Lonely Planet guide books are also very helpful, as are the Travel Forums at Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

My DH and I spent several weeks in Europe this fall. We traveled for a week in eastern Germany with a rental car, followed by a 2-week Prague to Budapest bus trip with a tour company. My husband then took the train from Budapest to Vienna, where he spent 4 days, and I toured Jordan and Israel for 3 weeks. I ended my trip with a solo week in Greece (Athens and the monasteries of Meteora). It was a great trip. :)

The biggest advantage of AirBNB’s..... laundry! I’m doing two weeks in Italy come April with just a backpack style carryon to avoid checked bag fees and the hassle of carrying around luggage. Because we will always have the ability to do laundry, I really don’t need to pack that much. I will look repetitive in the photos we take, but who cares.

We have a group of six going. 4 of us have the eBags weekender backpack. The other two are balking at doing carryon only, but I think they’re going to regret that one they start lugging suitcase up stairs and hills.

The biggest advantage of AirBNB’s..... laundry! I’m doing two weeks in Italy come April with just a backpack style carryon to avoid checked bag fees and the hassle of carrying around luggage. Because we will always have the ability to do laundry, I really don’t need to pack that much. I will look repetitive in the photos we take, but who cares.

We have a group of six going. 4 of us have the eBags weekender backpack. The other two are balking at doing carryon only, but I think they’re going to regret that one they start lugging suitcase up stairs and hills.

You are smart to go backpack only. We had small roller bags and they were a pita.

I would say Spain. I do luxury travel but have noticed that the Four Seasons when they operated in Berlin was far cheaper then Paris. I say the hotel ran for 300 a night. Where George V in Paris is 1500. And maybe Athens. Prague is a 'hot' place to be so I cannot imagine it being the cheapest place in Europe . I would say unless budget travel rates have different dynamics the luxury I would say Berlin would be cheaper than Paris and London. But why not do some of the Eastern Block Countries?

ps. https://www.nytimes.com/column/frugal-traveler is a great resource
pps maybe stay with some one in a house while you work for them ? I am not sure its possible
ppppppps. Doesn't frommers and flyer talk have budget boards.
ppppppppps Doesn't frommers have budget books?
https://www.priceoftravel.com/1979/european-backpacker-index/

Last edited:
Does your DH have a preference for which city he joins you in? That could determine your itinerary. With three weeks, you can easily see Amsterdam, Vienna, and Prague. You could also add Budapest and/or somewhere in Germany, depending on how much time you want to spend in one city and your interests.

I spent 6 weeks traveling around Europe the summer after I graduated from college; we hit 15 cities in that time, so only 2-3 nights in each city. This was almost 15 years ago now, but out of your DD’s three choices my favorite was Prague. I went back there with my DW (along with a first time in Budapest, which I also loved) about 9 years ago and loved it just as much. It’s just a really cool/interesting city, and I find the Cold War history of Eastern Europe fascinating.

I’m not much help with accommodation or restaurant recommendations since I was there so long ago, but if you have any general questions about any of the cities, feel free to ask! Oh, I would check out Rick Steves website. His focus is Europe travel with a budget slant so you may find useful recommendations there.

Thank you! My DH is a history teacher so he ois looking forward to some history exploration while we are there. I may be in touch with other questions. Thanks so much for the offer!

BIG Rick Steves fan here! Go to the library (or Amazon) and check out his Europe Through the Back Door book for general planning ideas, as well as his individual guide books for Prague, Amsterdam, and Vienna. https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Europe-Through-Back/dp/1631216252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514675551&sr=8-1&keywords=europe+through+the+back+door+2018. Lonely Planet guide books are also very helpful, as are the Travel Forums at Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

My DH and I spent several weeks in Europe this fall. We traveled for a week in eastern Germany with a rental car, followed by a 2-week Prague to Budapest bus trip with a tour company. My husband then took the train from Budapest to Vienna, where he spent 4 days, and I toured Jordan and Israel for 3 weeks. I ended my trip with a solo week in Greece (Athens and the monasteries of Meteora). It was a great trip. :)

Wow! That sounds fabulous. I will head to the library and get the Rick Steves book. Another dis'er mentioned him as well. I'm a big trip advisor fan so that's a great idea as well Thank you!

That is definitely something important to consider that I hadn't really thought of. Thank you!

I would say Spain. I do luxury travel but have noticed that the Four Seasons when they operated in Berlin was far cheaper then Paris. I say the hotel ran for 300 a night. Where George V in Paris is 1500. And maybe Athens. Prague is a 'hot' place to be so I cannot imagine it being the cheapest place in Europe . I would say unless budget travel rates have different dynamics the luxury I would say Berlin would be cheaper than Paris and London. But why not do some of the Eastern Block Countries?

ps. https://www.nytimes.com/column/frugal-traveler is a great resource
pps maybe stay with some one in a house while you work for them ? I am not sure its possible
ppppppps. Doesn't frommers and flyer talk have budget boards.
ppppppppps Doesn't frommers have budget books?
https://www.priceoftravel.com/1979/european-backpacker-index/

All good thoughts. We may do a week of time share as we have a friend who owns several weeks and can sell us one inexpensively. We are totally open to the Eastern block. Starting to do general research now Thank you!

I did Budapest, Vienna and Prague last December and I fell in love with Budapest. I would most definitely add it to your list, it's a beautiful AND inexpensive city! The great thing about that trip is that Budapest and Prague are both relatively inexpensive, balancing out the super expensive Vienna!

We stayed in AirBnBs in each place, if you need suggestions, let me know and I can PM you the ones we stayed in. The one in Prague was probably the nicest place I've ever stayed, better than a luxury hotel but all three places were really nice and were in excellent locations.

All three cities are super easy to get around, we used public transport or walked everywhere. No need for taxis/ubers/etc.

If I was back in the area I would probably have added Krakow and/or Bratislava to my list. Depending on your route you could easily tack on another city or two. If you started in Budapest and worked your way through Vienna to Prague you could add Berlin on to the end of your trip fairly easily.

I can't say enough about Budapest though, please consider adding it to your list, it's number one on my list of destinations to date.

I agree that Budapest is a fantastic city. If you do visit there, I can recommend an outstanding B&B, the Kapital Inn:

http://www.kapitalinn.com/about-us.html

Check them out on TripAdvisor. Albert is an excellent host, speaks perfect English, and will go out of his way to make sure you have an excellent visit to his city. I have no affiliation with this B&B except my sister and I stayed there several years ago and were very impressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter