Planning first trip to WDW...

idolfan

Earning My Ears
So I booked my first ever trip to Disney World from September 29th to October 6th! :yay: I’m from California and have been to Disneyland so many times, I’ve lost count. Obviously though, planning a trip to Disneyland is waaaaay different than planning a trip to DISNEY WORLD, so I was hoping you guys had and tips or tricks for me? It would be much appreciated:D

Some other facts that might be of value: it’s just going to be my friend and I going, two 20-something’s. We got park hoppers for when we’re there as well as the regular Disney dining plan. We’re also hoping to do the Halloween party one of the nights we’re there

Thanks in advance for your help! It’s so much more work planning a trip to Florida, especially since neither one of us have been there and have no idea what we’re getting ourselves into :earboy2:

So I booked my first ever trip to Disney World from September 29th to October 6th! :yay: I’m from California and have been to Disneyland so many times, I’ve lost count. Obviously though, planning a trip to Disneyland is waaaaay different than planning a trip to DISNEY WORLD, so I was hoping you guys had and tips or tricks for me? It would be much appreciated:D

Some other facts that might be of value: it’s just going to be my friend and I going, two 20-something’s. We got park hoppers for when we’re there as well as the regular Disney dining plan. We’re also hoping to do the Halloween party one of the nights we’re there

Thanks in advance for your help! It’s so much more work planning a trip to Florida, especially since neither one of us have been there and have no idea what we’re getting ourselves into :earboy2:

:welcome: to DISBoards @idolfan!

The Disney World Tips forum is a good spot for a one-stop compilation of tips/tricks: https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-world-tips.17/

Also the main Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (TPAS) forum is pretty much a main go to spot for specific trip planning questions and assistance. Lots of knowledgeable folks around that can help out.

Happy planning! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

It sounds like you have gotten a pretty good start on your planning with ParkHoppers and the Dining Plan. You just need to be ready to schedule your ADRs and FP+. ADRs can be made at 180 days out and are almost required if you want to eat at some of the more popular places. Even then it can be hard to get what you want. FP+ can be reserved at 60 days if you are staying on site(or select Disney Springs area hotel), 30 days if you are staying off site. Again, you must get these reserved as soon as possible for the popular attractions. Also, get your MNSSHP tickets as soon as you know what day that you will be attending.

Remember, WDW is a lot bigger the Disneyland, A LOT. There will be much walking and riding to get from one place to another. I highly recommend staying on site. We haven't stayed off site for over 20 years. We use the Disney transportation system exclusively. Planning is the most important thing. There is a ton of great information on the Disboards that will cover any questions that you have. Look art the sticky threads at the top of each forum, especially Disney Resorts, and Disney Restaurants.

Since your trip is in September it is time to get some decisions made about lodging and restaurants because your 180 days is coming up. I wish y'all a great trip!

Cheers!!!!!!

April 2nd is your 180 ADR window. If you want Royal Table or Be Our Guest, be prepared to be online at 7a to get your reservations (RT requires payment in advance and is 2TS Credits). Other popular choices are O'Hana (personally highly recommend), Chef Mickey's, Akershus, California Grill (2TS), and Le Cellier(2TS). I've done them all but California Grill and they are fantastic, although Royal Table is a bit overpriced in terms of the food. The experience and location makes up for it. Halloween Party is awesome. You are young, but I'd still plan on a day off from the parks every 2nd day or so, it will still be pretty hot that time of year. Disney Springs has a lot to offer, especially if you enjoy the night life. Jelly Rolls at the Boardwalk is a good time too. Make sure you set up your Fast Passes once you hit our 60 Day out window. If you aren't familiar, on your 60th day out you will be able to book FPs for your entire trip.

It sounds like you have gotten a pretty good start on your planning with ParkHoppers and the Dining Plan. You just need to be ready to schedule your ADRs and FP+. ADRs can be made at 180 days out and are almost required if you want to eat at some of the more popular places. Even then it can be hard to get what you want. FP+ can be reserved at 60 days if you are staying on site(or select Disney Springs area hotel), 30 days if you are staying off site. Again, you must get these reserved as soon as possible for the popular attractions. Also, get your MNSSHP tickets as soon as you know what day that you will be attending.

Remember, WDW is a lot bigger the Disneyland, A LOT. There will be much walking and riding to get from one place to another. I highly recommend staying on site. We haven't stayed off site for over 20 years. We use the Disney transportation system exclusively. Planning is the most important thing. There is a ton of great information on the Disboards that will cover any questions that you have. Look art the sticky threads at the top of each forum, especially Disney Resorts, and Disney Restaurants.

Since your trip is in September it is time to get some decisions made about lodging and restaurants because your 180 days is coming up. I wish y'all a great trip!

Cheers!!!!!!
Yes, Disney Transportation all the way. Research the options and the types available, as well as where each one goes. Buses are easy, they go everywhere. But the worst thing is expecting to take a specific type (ie. Boat or Monorail) to a location just to find out you have to change Monorails, or the boat doesn't go where you thought. I learned the hard way a couple time early on.

Another California native and former Disneyland AP holder here. My now fiance and I went to Disney World in March 2014 (going back for our honeymoon in June of this year!) and as Disneyland AP holders at the time, here are a couple things we noticed:

1. Disney World is HUGE. We had Park Hoppers and never used them. Park hopping is a totally different experience at WDW and isn't nearly as easy as it is at Disneyland. We are not getting them this next trip. Something to consider...

2. Staying onsite is also a very different experience at WDW - so immersive and you never have to leave the "Disney bubble." I highly recommend staying onsite, to us, the perks outweigh the expense. This being said, definitely plan to take some time to actually enjoy where you are staying. It's so easy to go go go at WDW, we found we definitely needed an afternoon break daily (and we can go all day at Disneyland).

3. The food choices/restaurants were overwhelming! I know many people don't make their ADR's 180 days in advance but I found it reassuring to know when and where I was going to eat. It was all new to me so it was nice having done that prep work so I didn't have to think about it when we got there. I recommend putting in the time now to research restaurants you might want to experience. You can always modify later (we did that this time - made initial ADR's and then changed, canceled or added later).

No matter what, you'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter