Planning Last Minute Trip (July) - Need Some Off-Site Rental Help

Christine

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,
I'm planning a last minute Disney trip with 5 adults. We are driving down so my dates are a little flexible but I'm shooting for 7/26-8/2.

The last few times I went, I used vacation homes and it was relatively easy booking through VRBO. Now, when I look through VRBO it seems that's it has really been taken over by management companies and the nightly rates are higher through VRBO then if I rented the same unit directly from the company. So I started researching management companies and that was a nightmare (sort of like looking up the side effects of your new meds--just don't do it!!). Anyway, I'm now totally lost.

I found one or two places in the Reunion Resort that looked nice. I do want a fancy place and not something worn out. But a few of the management companies renting them seem like they have a lot of bad reviews (Jeeves was one I looked at--very mixed). Then I kept hearing how "far" Reunion was to the parks. Uuuggghhh. I stayed at Terre Verde for two years and it was down off Poinciana--it was kind of a pain in the neck of a drive. Indian Creek was a little better. I've tried to view things by the map and I'm just lost. It's been 6 years since I've been down there and I've lost my bearings on what is where.

So do you have any recommendations for good management companies, private owners, etc? Also what are some of the newer communities that aren't too far from the parks?

My other option is to throw away all my fiscally conservative ideas and rent an onsite hotel. I've gotten some decent enough quotes through Disney (with a military discount) but it is still very expensive. Also, my party of 5 will have two cars and the onsite parking just frosts me. Now, I know that we will have to pay to park at the theme parks but we would only take one car over there for doing that.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I would be looking into places like Embassy Suites, Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites, even Skyauction for last minute rentals. As far as Embassy Suites, I've seen that @HopperFan has had wonderful experiences at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista South.

I would be looking into places like Embassy Suites, Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites, even Skyauction for last minute rentals. As far as Embassy Suites, I've seen that @HopperFan has had wonderful experiences at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista South.

Well, if I stay off-site I really want a vacation home. I love the space to spread out, have a private bedroom to go read at night, etc. So if I'm off-site I really want to go in that direction. I'm not a fan of hotel rooms. I know that all the "suites" versions of hotels are much more than that, but still not quite like a vacation home. Plus two of the adults with us are my parents. My dad snores really bad. We all need to have some space from him. So if I get a hotel, even one that is a suites-version, it will be 2 rooms.

Okay so...why not take the Reunion Resort unit which you mentioned, or look for a last minute rental on Skyauction? Staying onsite is putting you into a motel room.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in May and liked it a lot. We had a two bedroom, two bathroom unit with full kitchen, dining area, living room and balcony. We had a condo in the Fountains section and the two bedrooms were separated by a longer hallway so very private for everyone sleeping and more like an apartment/condo than a hotel 2 room suite. Mousesavers has a code right now: https://www.mousesavers.com/sheraton-vistana-resort-villas/
I put in your dates with the code and it quoted me prices for a 2 bedroom starting at $147 per night, not including taxes.

We liked it so much we are looking at a quick get away in September. For reference, we are used to Marriott timeshare properties and found the Sheraton pretty comparable.

Edited to add: Dreams Unlimited also has discounts for SVR. Not sure how I missed that, but I just saw it now on the sidebar here.

Last edited:
Okay so...why not take the Reunion Resort unit which you mentioned, or look for a last minute rental on Skyauction? Staying onsite is putting you into a motel room.

Because I cannot find a good review for the management company that is holding the unit I like. I am also "hearing" that Reunion is a far drive but, again, there are only about 2 reviews on it. I'm getting some info from TripAdvisor. Such mixed reviews it seems on this place. I've never tried Skyauction so thanks for that suggestion, I'll go poke around on it. I know things change from year to year and I don't spend a lot of time on this forum if I'm not planning a trip so I guess I was hoping to find out what the "go-to" management company or neighborhood is for 2018. Very different times then when I planning in 2012.

When I go for vacation homes, I have booked thru Windsorhillsofficialrentals. I believe they are actual owners in Windsor Hills. I like Windsor hills location for me it’s about a 5 Min drive to AK.

We booked our condo for June from windsorhillsofficialrentals.com You book directly through the owner, although the condo (probably all of them, and the townhomes, and the vacation homes) had management companies that took care of maintenance, etc.

Due to a family emergency, we ended up changing our reservation/dates at the last minute to a condo in Windsor Palms but with the same owner we had booked the other one through. It was the same, booked through the owner and taken care of by the management company.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in May and liked it a lot. We had a two bedroom, two bathroom unit with full kitchen, dining area, living room and balcony. We had a condo in the Fountains section and the two bedrooms were separated by a longer hallway so very private for everyone sleeping and more like an apartment/condo than a hotel 2 room suite. Mousesavers has a code right now: https://www.mousesavers.com/sheraton-vistana-resort-villas/
I put in your dates with the code and it quoted me prices for a 2 bedroom starting at $147 per night, not including taxes.

We liked it so much we are looking at a quick get away in September. For reference, we are used to Marriott timeshare properties and found the Sheraton pretty comparable.

Edited to add: Dreams Unlimited also has discounts for SVR. Not sure how I missed that, but I just saw it now on the sidebar here.

My FIL used to own a timeshare at the Vistana. When we went, the Fountains I believe were relatively brand new, and of course we did not get that building. Our experience there (as you can see in my signature it was 17 years ago) so I'm sure things have changed. We had the large tub in the master bedroom leaking and it basically flooded most of the carpet in the bedroom. The wouldn't/couldn't move us so they had to come in and do some maintenance and it was just never right all week. The second bedroom had sheets that never fit the bed correctly and kept coming off. It was just not a great stay, so I don't know if I could ever go back.

Sorry, I don't mean to disregard your suggestion, just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

Check vacationcentralflorida.com . I've rented townhouses/condos thru them a few times with good results. The units are located in Windsor Hills, which is quite close to Disney property (especially the Animal Kingdom area).

Also, don't get scared on the distance from Reunion. I can't imagine the drive to be any more than 15 minutes or so. To me, the worst area is out east on 192, where its traffic light after traffic light. Not so from Reunion...I've done grocery shopping there while staying at Windsor Hills and it was an easy 10 minute or so drive.

All, thanks for the tips. I think I've just decided to go with the Contemporary but Reunion has been VERY tempting! I'll be making the reservations tomorrow.

You may want to check out Oakwater in Kissimme - through VRBO or Homeaway. It is very close (closer than Windsor Hills and Reunion) there's a brand new Walmart walking distance away and there's a number of owner managed units there.

Hey everyone,
I'm planning a last minute Disney trip with 5 adults. We are driving down so my dates are a little flexible but I'm shooting for 7/26-8/2.

The last few times I went, I used vacation homes and it was relatively easy booking through VRBO. Now, when I look through VRBO it seems that's it has really been taken over by management companies and the nightly rates are higher through VRBO then if I rented the same unit directly from the company. So I started researching management companies and that was a nightmare (sort of like looking up the side effects of your new meds--just don't do it!!). Anyway, I'm now totally lost.

I found one or two places in the Reunion Resort that looked nice. I do want a fancy place and not something worn out. But a few of the management companies renting them seem like they have a lot of bad reviews (Jeeves was one I looked at--very mixed). Then I kept hearing how "far" Reunion was to the parks. Uuuggghhh. I stayed at Terre Verde for two years and it was down off Poinciana--it was kind of a pain in the neck of a drive. Indian Creek was a little better. I've tried to view things by the map and I'm just lost. It's been 6 years since I've been down there and I've lost my bearings on what is where.

So do you have any recommendations for good management companies, private owners, etc? Also what are some of the newer communities that aren't too far from the parks?

My other option is to throw away all my fiscally conservative ideas and rent an onsite hotel. I've gotten some decent enough quotes through Disney (with a military discount) but it is still very expensive. Also, my party of 5 will have two cars and the onsite parking just frosts me. Now, I know that we will have to pay to park at the theme parks but we would only take one car over there for doing that.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I would have suggested you rent directly with a timeshare owner instead of a management company. Redweek, TUG and sometimes Ebay can help you find private owners at a timeshare resort. Because you are within a 45 day window, TUG last minute rentals would have been great for you. You possibly could have found a 2 bedroom in a nice resort for $700 for a 7 night stay. Redweek also has a large selection far more reasonable than renting from a management company. If you ever decide to try off-site again and want a resort instead of a private home, research those websites. I have been renting thru them for over 5 years and have NEVER had a problem. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

I too with a group of five where you only need a two or three bedroom really like the lovely timeshare resorts in Orlando and rent regularly on TUG2.net and Redweek.com and have had wonderful experiences. They really keep up the resorts with regular updates and remodeling as Orlando is so overbuilt, so everyone has to keep the places nice. And you aren't at the whim of owner decorating choices.

I do love the Contemporary, and have a wonderful time there. You will have a blast. In the future, though, to stay at a lovely resort for a really great price, though, and get all that extra space I'd highly recommend what TamaraQT mentioned. The resorts we've rented most often are Sheraton Vistana Resort and Cypress Pointe or Cypress Point Grand Villas, both fairly close to downtown Disney, mostly because we like these and find lots of rentals for good prices at these. There are so many great ones though.

I like these more than the great houses too because they have more of a resort feel. A house can sometimes trump for family togetherness with a super large group. I only do the houses, though, if I need four to six bedrooms.

Also, I'd like to add, if you have teens and small kids in your group, a timeshare resort has so much to offer for on-site activities. Most have kid clubs and teen group activiies. One of my favorite resorts is Westgate. My DD12 loves their on-site pool parties and activity center. We have stayed at other resorts but she still considers Westgate her summer home. She learned line dancing at Westgate at the young age of 5 and has been dancing non-stop ever since. Each time we attend a function or gathering, she is one of the first ones to hit the dance floor when they play line dancing songs. Its always a hidden chuckle inside because it brings back memories of her younger Westgate days!! Now she considers herself a Westgate Veteran!! :laughing:

Also most timeshare resorts offer bike rentals for free when you rent your timeshare unit from an owner, Many resorts have paddle boats on the lakes. In the kids activity centers they have arts and crafts, games and all kinds of stuff. My DD12 used to enjoy the scavenger hunts at Westgate. My DH favorite is pool volleyball. No matter where we stay, the requirement is they have to offer pool volleyball. He looks forward to getting in a few games every year. Its one of the highlights of his vacation. His favorite place to play is Westgate and Orange Lake. These activities usually aren't offered when you rent a house in private owned communities. I think if you ever get an opportunity to try a timeshare, you will really enjoy it. Good luck and have a WONDERFUL vacation.

We stayed at Reunion for my first time off Disney property. The drive is actually not bad at all. Never seemed to get traffic at the end of the day and we were there during peak season in 2016. It is very close to Disney never more than 15-20 minutes. It is further away from sea world and universal though.
We booked with Reunion vacation homes. We were in a 3 br 2 bath condo. Perfect for two couples with 3 children.
The Condo had a hotel style pool with hot tub just outside and we had access to all the pools in the resort, just not the water park (I think that was an extra charge). We really didn't explore the resort that much, we probably should have.
One of the resort pools has a splash pad with a pool for the little ones, which was included in the stay. I only saw that in the welcome packet we received. We were out during the days and at the condo in the evening, it was perfect for wind down time. It was nice to be able to prepare meals in lieu of eating out all the time. The market was super close a minute or two away.
The condo was clean, modern and had a well stocked kitchen with everything from pots to spices. The baths had the mini shampoos and amenities, only enough for a few days. There were plenty of towels (loved that).
It had washing machine and dryer (no detergent had to get a sample pack at market).
I would stay there again now that I am better aware. Just have to plan to get some necessities at the market beforehand food, shampoos, and detergent. I must say it was a nice break from the hustle of the parks. It has a main resort building as well with all sorts of game rooms and activities and a few restaurants, which we didn't try, but I can look forward to that the next time. Not bad at all for the first time off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts