Please help me plan AKL meals!

grumpy28

DIS Veteran
Staying at AKL for the first time in Sept. Where do you recommend we eat/what meals?

Boma- breakfast or dinner? Anything in particular?

Saana- dinner? Anything in particular?

Any other foods to try at AKL?

Thanks!

Those are our favorite restaurants. We love Boma breakfast the best - then dinner. We also Love Sanaa - the bread service is excellent. We are staying at AKL for the first time too this summer although we eat there all the time. I also hear that the Mara has good food too. We will try it while we are there. I would eat at Boma for breakfast and Sanaa for dinner. If you have more meals then go to Boma for dinner.
Enjoy!

We've done Boma and Sanaa and enjoyed both. This trip we will try Jiko and room service and maybe the QS breakfast at Sanaa. Oh and Wine Wednesday!

Last edited:
Love AKL! Went in May on our 1st non park visit, just to enjoy the resort. Swam every day and enjoyed all the restaurants including drinks and small plates at Victoria Falls on arrival night.

One day we had an opening time lunch seating at Saana and was able to get one of the coveted window seats! Bread service is wonderful and it was an excellent meal. Dinner at Boma's was great too.

Another day we switched it up and had the Boma Breakfast with dinner at Jiko's. I guess we worked up an appetite at the pool each day with our adult beverages, lol.

On the days we went elsewhere to dine, we had either breakfast or lunch at the Mara, and all good - I think AKL has one of the best food courts.

Enjoy!

The Mara is good for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner excellent food.
We love Boma for Breakfast and Dinner!
Sanaa I agree about getting an 11:30 am ADR for lunch and request a window table when checking in, unique expierence watching the animals as you eat.
I’ve never eaten at Jiko but it gets excellent reviews.

Boma- breakfast or dinner? Anything in particular?

Saana- dinner? Anything in particular?

Any other foods to try at AKL?

Yes, yes, and Yes. The AKL restaurants are in my estimation the best on property and you should definitely try them all. We aren't huge buffet fans so we prefer Boma breakfast as I find it more forgiving to buffet style. Sanaa is not to be missed and the bread service is a thing of beauty. They do lunch and dinner. And Jiko is consistently one of the best restaurants on property. If you don't want a full on sit down signature meal you can also eat in their small lounge (Sanaa has one too but it is much busier).

Boma is good for breakfast and dinner.
Sanaa is also very good and as mentioned the bread service is almost a meal in itself.
Our favorite is Jiko. We eat there almost every trip.

The Mara is good for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner excellent food.
We love Boma for Breakfast and Dinner!
Sanaa I agree about getting an 11:30 am ADR for lunch and request a window table when checking in, unique expierence watching the animals as you eat.
I’ve never eaten at Jiko but it gets excellent reviews.

I agree with all you said.

Also staying at AKL for first time this August-just 2 nights as an Anniversary splurge at end of trip.
I actually prefer Sanaa menu at dinner -go early enough to be able to see the savannah before sunset. Although you really can't go wrong with lunch either, just beware you may be more interested in animal watching than eating (especially with kids LOL). We had a bird (forgot name) hang out right outside our window seat the entire time-kids were fascinated-and then the giraffes walked by...and my kids are older. So fun!
Thinking Jiko for anniversary dinner-and forgot about the tours! This is a surprise for DH (his birthday also on trip)-he thinks we are staying value (Pop-which I love) whole trip.

Heard great things about the Mara as well!
Thanks for asking OP! Great responses!

Jiko does Wine Wednesdays at 3 pm and then a tour of the kitchen right after at 4 pm. We are planning on both. You need to reserve Wine Wednesdays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!