PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

We are staying at POR starting this Saturday for 2 nights. Seasoned Disney vets here but this is our first time staying at a resort since they implemented the parking fee. Is the fee charged per reservation, or per car? I have a hard time believing it would be per car, as that would get difficult to manage, but my father (who is staying with us) doesn't believe me LOL. I'm assuming its just a lump charge added to your portfolio that you pay upon checkout, per reservation. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

We are staying at POR starting this Saturday for 2 nights. Seasoned Disney vets here but this is our first time staying at a resort since they implemented the parking fee. Is the fee charged per reservation, or per car? I have a hard time believing it would be per car, as that would get difficult to manage, but my father (who is staying with us) doesn't believe me LOL. I'm assuming its just a lump charge added to your portfolio that you pay upon checkout, per reservation. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Just want to verify...........was your reservation made after the March cut off date?
I don't have any concrete experience with the multicar issue, but I have never been asked how many cars I was using. My last trip was at the end of April.
I would assume you would only be charged one parking fee per night if your reservation was originally made after the cut off date.

@BridgetBordeaux yes, made after the March 21st date! So I know we'll def have the fee, but we have actually 3 cars coming in to reservation (all persons are on res), Myself, my father's, and my sister's. So just wondering if each car will be charged upon entry, or just our 1 reservation will be charged.

@BridgetBordeaux yes, made after the March 21st date! So I know we'll def have the fee, but we have actually 3 cars coming in to reservation (all persons are on res), Myself, my father's, and my sister's. So just wondering if each car will be charged upon entry, or just our 1 reservation will be charged.
We may have to rely on your report when you get back!

Yuck............I just called Pop Century main number and talked to a cast member.
I asked your question to them and they said the fee is per car.
I did not go into details about how they know how many cars are there per room, but between all the magic bands and the room reservation data, they may be able to make a decision about how many cars are being used by a room.

Please give us a report when you get back. I wish my call had revealed better news :sad2:

edit: I called Pop because that number is pre loaded in my contacts on my phone. I realize you are staying somewhere else.

@BridgetBordeaux thank you for taking the time to call! I really appreciate you researching that for us. Ugh, that is heartbreaking. $40 PER CAR means $120 extra for our memorial day weekend. That's the cost of our basic meals and drinks for the weekend. Wow. Hopefully that's not the case. I'll update you all as soon as our stay is done!

Also, to add, we are planning on taking a Disney Cruise next spring for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We plan to say at YC 2 days prior to our cruise and use the bus service to get to the port. Would they charge us for the 4 days on the cruise as well!? In that case, we'd be better off parking at the Port! ugh... Whyyyy did they have to implement this for overnight guests!?

@BridgetBordeaux thank you for taking the time to call! I really appreciate you researching that for us. Ugh, that is heartbreaking. $40 PER CAR means $120 extra for our memorial day weekend. That's the cost of our basic meals and drinks for the weekend. Wow. Hopefully that's not the case. I'll update you all as soon as our stay is done!
The extra 120 dollars hurts. I feel sorry for those being charged all the extra fees. I will be able to avoid them for the next several years because I made a whole bunch of one night reservations before the cut off with the intention of modifying them in the future. But sooner or later, I will either have to pay, or stay off site.

Friends of ours had 2 cars and were charged for each car per night.

Friends of ours had 2 cars and were charged for each car per night.
Wow, thank you. That is totally ridiculous. It doesn’t note that anywhere on their website that it’s per vehicle. Do you think there’s something that can be argued because of that? We’ve assumed all this time the fee was per reservation, and now 3 days before it’s def an unexpected additional expense.

Wow, thank you. That is totally ridiculous. It doesn’t note that anywhere on their website that it’s per vehicle. Do you think there’s something that can be argued because of that? We’ve assumed all this time the fee was per reservation, and now 3 days before it’s def an unexpected additional expense.

You can try. Please report back how it goes.

We just got back on Monday from a 4-night stay at POR. We are AP holders and this is our first trip with the new parking fee. It definitely hurts the budget, especially when AP holders aren't used to paying for parking (in the parks)! That being said, we thought because of this new rule it would be harder to visit other resorts (we like to try other restaurants, wander around, have a drink at the lobby lounges, etc.), but it wasn't any different than what we've experienced otherwise. We would just stop at the guard gate and say we want to check out the resort, they look at our ID, and we're on our way.

We just got back on Monday from a 4-night stay at POR. We are AP holders and this is our first trip with the new parking fee. It definitely hurts the budget, especially when AP holders aren't used to paying for parking (in the parks)! That being said, we thought because of this new rule it would be harder to visit other resorts (we like to try other restaurants, wander around, have a drink at the lobby lounges, etc.), but it wasn't any different than what we've experienced otherwise. We would just stop at the guard gate and say we want to check out the resort, they look at our ID, and we're on our way.
This makes me wonder if they're doing anything to prevent people from claiming to be a "day guest" when they are actually an overnight guest? As annoying as this fee is, it's even more annoying that they don't seem to have any consistency as to how, why and when people are charged.

I think @dansdad said they have someone going around scanning license plates to check how long you’ve been there. I’m sure they won’t tow on night 1 but maybe subsequent nights. Seems risky to try, but I’m sure people are doing it.

Just got back from our stay. No one took our plate numbers at all when checking in. Looked around but couldn’t immediately locate a scanner, although it could have been very well hidden. Also didn’t see anyone going around the resort late at night to check tags (both nights we got back late- after 11pm, close to midnight). They ended up not charging us for any vehicles. Couldn’t believe it. Not sure if it’s just not as enforced at some places like others, but POR at least seems to be not enforcing the policy at least as of this Memorial Day weekend...

Just got back from our stay. No one took our plate numbers at all when checking in. Looked around but couldn’t immediately locate a scanner, although it could have been very well hidden. Also didn’t see anyone going around the resort late at night to check tags (both nights we got back late- after 11pm, close to midnight). They ended up not charging us for any vehicles. Couldn’t believe it. Not sure if it’s just not as enforced at some places like others, but POR at least seems to be not enforcing the policy at least as of this Memorial Day weekend...
Lucky you! Glad you got a little bit of pixie dust. Thanks for the update.

Are those with handicap placards exempt? (I recall reading this when the fee was first announced. Just wondering if it turned out to be correct info).

The parking fee for overnight guests isn't about being fair. It's about Disney doing all they can to make the most money off guests once they enter Disney borders.

Resort rooms themselves are finite in revenue. There is a max amount that they will make off any room at any time. Then they hope resort guests will order room service, use pay per use amenities, eat at the restaurant, etc. BUT, the nature of WDW is such that a large majority of guests staying in them spend very little time in their resort. They're out trying to hit the parks most of the time.

Disney then has this great opportunity to increase resort revenue by bringing in paying day guests. They don't care if the day guests park free. They want them to come spend money, to boost the profit for each resort. If day guests have to pay at each resort they visit, they may very well visit less. WDW doesn't want that.

Returning overnight guests, on the other hand, are less likely to opt out of staying on property over a parking fee. Yes, they'll complain, just as they would complain over an across the board room price hike, but they will still overwhelmingly decide to keep staying on property because that's how they prefer to vacation at WDW. BUT, this may convince some coming by rail or air NOT to get a rental, and that's where Disney makes the money. If they wanted to make an extra $19 a day on Value Resort guests, they could have increased the room price for everyone. But what they want is to make you think twice about that car rental. Why spend money on a car that you can spend at WDW? And if you don't have a car, you'll be less likely to leave over and over again. Sure, you may pay a taxi, Uber or Lyft driver to go out once or twice, but you're still less likely to repeatedly leave property if you don't have a convenient rental car sitting in the lot waiting for you to use it. That's ultimately what Disney wants...for all of us to just stay there on Disney property, spending our money.

The only link between this charge and daytime guest parking at all is that if you have a car sitting in the lot all day while you're in the parks, it's taking up space the paying daytime guests may use. Yes, some people are cheating. They say they're there to rent a boat, grab a meal, etc., and then they just park their car and go to the park. But many do spend money at the resort, and Disney isn't all that overly interested (yet) in bothering to weed out the cheaters from the spenders. Because, hey, that cuts into their profits.

So we can be unhappy about the unfairness of it all, but ultimately if we want to stay and we want a car, we'll pay. :)

In time I see RFID stickers on cars to use lots. That way it will be known if your car is in the lot. Rental car companies do this to keep track of where in the big parking lots at airports individual cars are. Someday here as well I bet. Of course, once again, I suppose you could remove a sticker...so who knows...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter