Please tell me about the kids' production

FredS

DIS Veteran
I have read references to some type of "show" in which the children participate, and saw something about it in an old Navigator. How does this work? Do the children rehearse in the days in advance, or is this something that they pull together shortly before the show? Are they good to pull in children who are more self-conscious? Don't the kids get a t-shirt or some other souvenir?

It sounds like fun, but sometimes my little one can be shy about being the center of attention. A group thing sounds like something he would enjoy and he has gotten less self-conscious in recent months, so hopefully this would be enjoyable for him. Thanks for giving us some details! :Pinkbounc

Simply put: It ROCKED!

The kids need to be there about 15-30 minutes in advance. They come down from the kids clubs into the Walt Disney Theater singing "It's a small world" and waving flags. They show slides from the entire week's activities and on our trip they said they had 700+ kids onboard that week. They all go up on stage and sing another song or two and then Mickey comes out (and maybe a few others?) and they all sing some more. I can't remember the entire show, but my 3 and 5 year olds loved it (and the younger one is very shy) - they sit the youngest ones down and line up the bigger ones behind them.

The counselors pretty much lead them in, show them where to sit and there isn't any dancing or other entertainment so there's no huge rehearsal.

Bring your video and regular camera - NOT to be missed!

Hi..In Jan, my DD then 5 did not partake of the clubs until the last day..the day of the kids show. The counselors had no problem with this and my daughter went with them about 1/2hr before the show. It was just as described. The kids loved it and they got a free t-shirt, too. Mickey's appearance is a big surprise, so keep it hush-hush!

My DD is very shy, and she lhad a ball. Still talks about it and is looking forward to enjoying the clubs more this time.

Ursula

Is this mostly for the younger kids?
I cant picture my 11.5yr DS getting involved - especially if they are singing "Its a small world!"

This was our 4th cruise, and the grandkids started doing the show when they were 5 and 6. Both were shy, but had no problems. This year the 9 year old boy said he did not want to do the show, but ended up participating anyway, so that is probably the cut off age for boys. The one thing that had changed was that the kids did not enter and leave down the isles waving flags, which really takes a lot away from the program. They entered and left through the doors next to the stage. It probably has a lot to do with the congestion of people leaving from the disembarkment talks which take place right before. But I did read from my dreams unlimited newsletter that this program is to be discontinued and only shown on TV, so maybe the show will go back to the old way. The show only lasts for about 15 minutes, but Mickey is the only one who comes out.

Last year my 10yr old DD and a friends 10 yr old DS participated. They were definitely not the only kids this age up there. I would say there were not any teens but plenty from the 10-12 group were there.

They were all led in, singing, then they sang a song or two and did sign language along with it. Mickey came up on stage and did a song or two with them. In the background they were showing slides from the whole week in the kids club. It was a tough decision whether to watch the kids or watch the slides.

My DH took pictures of the kids and the slides and the slides came out a little dark but still viewable. I inquired at shutters as to whether these pictures were for sale because there was a really cool one of my daughter but unfortunately they are not for sale so I'm glad we at least had the dark one DH took.

They also got a free T-Shirt which they were all wearing up on stage. They went to practice about 20-30 minutes before it started and the actual show probably only lasted 15-20 minutes but it was great! I'm glad we did it. And if nothing else, a free T-shirt is a great souvenier.

Hi, just wondering, do they do this on all of the cruises? We are booked for the 4 day Wonder on October 26th. My two grandchildren would LOVE it!!
Thanks

Yes, they do it on all the cruises.

Markey-Does "only showing it on TV" mean it will be recorded without an audience and then broadcast? I hope not! I loved seeing my baby on stage!

Ursula

:bounce: :Pinkbounc Thanks for the quick response. My granddaughter (5) will especially love this. She loves to sing and knows most of the disney songs by heart. She has sang the songs from the little mermaid since she was two. She is so excited about this cruise. Every time we go shopping she picks out something and says "don't you think this would be perect for the cruise?" She is even picking out her granpas shirts!!:p

It is the disembarkment talks that will be broadcast on TV, not the childrens programs. Sorry about the confusion.

Whew, thank you Markey. I love that show, sitting in the theatre and watching my little girl...it's the best!! Very moving!

Ursula

That is a good show but another thing you can do with your children is, if they can sing, dance or play an instrument, is have them enter the Talent Show.

Michael (8) was very taken last year with Fidelio at Dueling Pianos - so much so that he asked for piano lessons! He is very committed to his piano and was able to play a short song during the Talent Show on our last cruise, along with several very talented singers, dancers and a guitar player!

It's a great way to encourage and foster your child's ability in a fun filled and non-threatening, non-critical atmosphere! Since there are NO winners in this NON-CONTEST event!

Fidelio and Anton (Magic's Dueling Pianos) had a rehearsal on Thursday at 2PM prior to the Friday night (7:45) performance. They were supportive, encouraging and just great to ALL the performers.

Rae

I can't wait...my nephew will have the best time! And myself and his Nana and Papa will be right there snapping the pictures! I love DCL!!!

I am sorry to say that the kids do not sing the songs. I am 12 and I was in the production august 16th. We did not caome out with flags, we came out of a side door, to enter the stage. We learn a bit of sign langauge and we say mickey mouse sometimes. It is a great experiance if you are shy because you are not the center of attention but you get what it feels like to be in front of an audiance. I am sorry if you were looking forward to us singing. But we don't sing.:D

I am going to be a total basket case by the time our cruise gets here. LOL! I am sitting here reading this thread with tears in my eyes just thinking about my kids doing this. I just increased the number of tissues to pack. ;)

My kids 7 & 5 will love this! I can't wait!

I learn so much on the DIS, I am always looking around for new info. and at least 3x/wk something new pops up!

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter