Please Tell Me I'm Not Crazy

Fonzy13

Proud DVC Owner
Ok, I've lurked here for a little while and decided I wanted to get some advice.

I'm 23 years old and am going to FW from Aug 11-16 with my fiance and 5-year-old brother. Obviously being just out of school, I don't have a lot of money, that's why we'll be tent camping. I wasn't even gong to rent a car, but decided it would probably be wise to do that, and broke down yesterday (it's a pain because I get charged extra because of age).

I went to Disney last year during July and stayed off-site. We had a terrific time. This year, I wanted to stay on site and camping was really the only way financially I could do it.

So are we nuts? Camping in August? In Florida? With a five-year-old?

I was completely excited last week, and maybe unfortunetely purchased airfare to quickly and put in the wrong return date. D'oh. However, I won't complain, we got a $145 RT from JFK to Orlando.

So any pieces of advice would be completely appreciated, and even some do's and dont's.

Thank you so much.

You aren't crazy in that you love WDW, and want to stay on-site. As someone who camps at Ft. W. in Aug in an air-conditioned mh, I won't begin to start on the whole tent issue, but if you skim back through the last few pages, you'll find lots of good advice. I wouldn't be worried about you adults and the heat, but do think about the 5 year old, and how he'll deal with it. The vacation won't be magical if he gets heat sick (which is very easy to do in Aug. in FL!). Maybe have a backup plan? Good luck to you, and hope to see you there!
Terri

You will have a great time! Bring a fan for your tent, to keep the air circulating at night. You definitely won't need sleeping bags - just a sheet or light blanket.

Your brother will love it! There's so much to do at FW! Have fun! :Pinkbounc

I second the fan and I would make sure your tent has lots of ventilation, three big mesh windows and hopfully a ceiling vent. Bring lots of water with you as well and take a mid day siesta to break up the heat of the day, maybe take a swim, and hit the parks hard again at night. Remember your on a big adventure and your brother will love being on an adventure.

Enjoy Yourself

I think the parks are still open pretty late the second week of August. Plan to take a break and swim, swim, swim at the pools. We are traveling the 3rd week of August for a second time this year, and found that in the parks, there were enough air-conditioned attractions to keep us comfortable. We did have Walmart spray fans, but didn't use them much. Do listen to the other posters who recommend a fan for in the tent, but even the comfort stations are air-conditioned at FW. Remember the movies too, those could be wonderful too!

Kids are pretty resilient critters. They can endure some pretty harsh climates when they are distracted by a good time. I bet he won't even notice the heat, and after a day at Disney, will sleep like a baby.

:cool:

Well, thank you all for responding, and if I could be so lucky I'd like to ask one more question. Can you suggest, remember tent camping, a certain loop that would be nice. I'm going to call today to request and see what kind of luck I have.

I'll also be tent camping at Ft. Wilderness the last two weeks of August but will be bringing an AC for the tent LOL! Now which one of us is crazy?

Try for the 1500 loop. It is close to the pool and campfire program. I think you will make good use of the car. It will be handy for going for supplies. It is tuff to fly and camp because it really limits what you can bring. There is a Super WalMart not too far away. They sell a 20" box fan for 10.96. You could buy it when you get there use it for the week and find someone to buy it from you for $5 or whatever when you leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter