Point Math

lalariner

Earning My Ears
We are contemplating purchasing 100 resale points at BLT. The intention is to alternate years - one year my husband and I will go alone for a long weekend to F&W and the next we will take our kids for a few days before Christmas. So, studio one year, 1 BR the next. I'm trying to make sure we will buy the right size contract, but I'm not sure if I am banking/borrowing correctly.

Here is what I'm coming up with:

year 1: 100 pts - 46 (studio) = 54 points banked to year 2.

year 2: 100 pts + 54 banked - 137 (1 BR) = 17 points remaining.

Can I bank those 17 points to year 3 for a total of 117? Or will year 3 start over with only 100 points? Will those 17 points count as coming from the previously banked 54 points or the year two 100 points?

Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks for your help!

You would use up the banked pts from year 1 first and then bank the points from year 2 into year 3.

The year 1 points cannot be banked twice.

You would use up the banked pts from year 1 first and then bank the points from year 2 into year 3.

The year 1 points cannot be banked twice.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping - that the 54 points remaining from year 1 would be used up first in year two and the remaining 17 would be bankable.

Absolutely; when booking your trip, you would be using 54 banked points from y1, and 83 points from y2. This leaves you 17 points from y2 to bank into y3. It's worth noting that banked points will always be used first.

It's best to verify after you make the reservation in year 2 that the yr1 banked pts were applied to the reservation and the leftover pts are from yr2 and are available to bank, but that is what is supposed to happen.

The general rule is that you can bank or borrow pts one time only. After that, they must be used to complete a stay by the end of that new UY.

I would buy a BCV or BWV contract for F&W and a MK resort contract for MK stays.

:earsboy: Bill

We are contemplating purchasing 100 resale points at BLT. The intention is to alternate years - one year my husband and I will go alone for a long weekend to F&W and the next we will take our kids for a few days before Christmas. So, studio one year, 1 BR the next. I'm trying to make sure we will buy the right size contract, but I'm not sure if I am banking/borrowing correctly.

Here is what I'm coming up with:

year 1: 100 pts - 46 (studio) = 54 points banked to year 2.

year 2: 100 pts + 54 banked - 137 (1 BR) = 17 points remaining.

Can I bank those 17 points to year 3 for a total of 117? Or will year 3 start over with only 100 points? Will those 17 points count as coming from the previously banked 54 points or the year two 100 points?

Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks for your help!

:thumbsup2

Looks like at some point you'll need to add a day or two!

FYI - I didn't look at the charts to see what room you are planning on but if you are looking at standard views at BLT they are very popular and not always easy to get even at 11 months. It's best to at least plan for lakeview.

With having your room categories in mind studio or 1BR- I would look at the most expensive room type and get the point to cover that - so like a PP mentioned the standards at BLT might not be available, so you might be left with getting a more expensive lake view or magic view (using up more points leaving you short for the next year). Leave yourself some wiggle room for these unforeseen instances and also keep in mind that DVD can realign points at any time and could change the cost/points for the room you want.

I think you are on the right track with your thinking of the banking and borrowing, but will you always only want to stay at BLT? Maybe you will want to try one of the other resorts. The good thing with looking and purchasing points to afford BLT room - BLT tends to be more expensive points wise than many of the other resorts. So you could potentially save points by choosing one of the other resorts at the 7 month mark.

There is a lot to learn about the system so even if you have an understanding of it when you buy you will still be faced with new scenarios.

Thanks for your perspectives! I was contemplating alternating resorts - staying at BLT when we go with the kids but then staying 'cheaper' when it is just the two of us to save points.

We had considered BWV but the 2042 expiration doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks for your perspectives! I was contemplating alternating resorts - staying at BLT when we go with the kids but then staying 'cheaper' when it is just the two of us to save points.

I give you 10 years and you will be ready to move on to other vacation destinations, well before 2042.

BLT is a great resort and actually a good value. Only SSR is probably better. And the 1brs have the 2 bathrooms plus the sleeper chair - one of the best layouts IMO. Weekends during F&W are busy DVC times so you may find yourself at BLT then too although waitlists can work to pick up rooms if there isnt anything else available at 7 months.

Last edited:
I would buy a BCV or BWV contract for F&W and a MK resort contract for MK stays.

I'm assuming that OP is thinking that travel to/from MK around Xmas time with kids is going to be more of a priority than the adults-only long weekends during F&W? Otherwise the banking/borrowing plan gets more difficult with 2 different contracts and memberships, and harder to find/buy 50 point resale contracts at either resort.

:thumbsup2

Looks like at some point you'll need to add a day or two!

FYI - I didn't look at the charts to see what room you are planning on but if you are looking at standard views at BLT they are very popular and not always easy to get even at 11 months. It's best to at least plan for lakeview.

3 day weekends in the fall at BLT seem to be in the 40-46pt range for TPV studios, and around 130-something for 1BR for 3 nights and 142 (so could borrow or buy OTU points) for 4 nights before xmas in a LV 1BR. So I think the 100pt amount is solid.

@lalariner, I think your plan is a sound one. Or, to quote Kat: :thumbsup2
We've also thought about getting a BWV/BCV for F&W and Epcot availability, and BLT for MK, and would have made an offer on either one that looked good, whichever came first, with a slight preference for BLT for the longer contract date and lower cost per point and MF and overall location. Ultimately, the right UY and # of points at BLT came up first and we are happy with that decision.

I think BLT makes sense as a first or only purchase because the points should be pretty easy to rent if you can't use them or change plans, and the cost per point is 2nd only to SSR, and you need 11 mo priority if you want to stay there, especially around Xmas. And resort hopping on the monorail loop would be pretty cool around Xmas time. Good luck finding the perfect contract!!

I'm assuming that OP is thinking that travel to/from MK around Xmas time with kids is going to be more of a priority than the adults-only long weekends during F&W?

This exactly. We sometimes go for 2 nights and sometimes for 3. And can be flexible on where we stay to save points for the Christmas trips.

I give you 10 years and you will be ready to move on to other vacation destinations, well before 2042.

This is exactly my thoughts. Are people concerned with trying to resell contracts with only 10 or 15 years remaining?

While it's smart to consider the long term and real value, I wouldn't let the expiration force you into a bad choice either. Presuming you have enough experiences to make an informed decision on home resort and the compromises/trials of a timeshare, I'd consider around 100 resale plus 25 retail or 125-150 resale depending on how much benefit you'd get from the pass discount options. For your situation I feel you need at least a 10% cushion and that 20% is likely better. You will almost certainly need more points than you think with this type of plan even if they don't reallocate to raise weekends.

This exactly. We sometimes go for 2 nights and sometimes for 3. And can be flexible on where we stay to save points for the Christmas trips.

This is exactly my thoughts. Are people concerned with trying to resell contracts with only 10 or 15 years remaining?

Our contract math assumes zero value when we sell.

IMO no one should buy planning to resell later though I believe it smart to at least consider the options.

:earsboy: Bil

IMO no one should buy planning to resell later though I believe it smart to at least consider the options.

Is this most folks' line of thinking? We don't consider this to be an "investment" purchase, however, if a contract will be easier to sell in 15 years, do you feel as though that has a good bit of weight in your decision? We prefer some of the resorts with shorter contracts (BWV and BRV) for sure, but felt like it was more important that we have a way "out" from MF in 15 years if we decide we are done with DVC. BLT was our next choice because of our plans to travel at Christmas and the length of the contract. If you buy at BWV or BRV at this point, do most people assume they will stick out the contract life?

Thanks for all of your help. We really want to make an informed decision, and you guys that have "been there done that" are an invaluable resource! :-)

Is this most folks' line of thinking? We don't consider this to be an "investment" purchase, however, if a contract will be easier to sell in 15 years, do you feel as though that has a good bit of weight in your decision? We prefer some of the resorts with shorter contracts (BWV and BRV) for sure, but felt like it was more important that we have a way "out" from MF in 15 years if we decide we are done with DVC. BLT was our next choice because of our plans to travel at Christmas and the length of the contract. If you buy at BWV or BRV at this point, do most people assume they will stick out the contract life?

Thanks for all of your help. We really want to make an informed decision, and you guys that have "been there done that" are an invaluable resource! :-)

I don't expect to still do as many Disney vacations as we do now, we have already cut down on crowded park time. We also sold some of our contracts. We have a couple of cruises scheduled and an big Aulani stay, then we take a Disney break. IMO DVC isn't a lifelong commitment.

I can't speak for others, some have planned to do just what you are asking about. The issue is it's a very high risk venture. My view is it's good to have options but a poor choice to buy planning to sell later. Along those lines I think it's a poor choice to pay significantly more just to get smaller contracts that may or may not be easier to sell and make back the extra costs down the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!