Point Rental Prospects

GCorbett

Earning My Ears
I am in the process of choosing a resale contract at the Polynesian. I calculated that I will need at least 160 points to be safe. I'm considering getting a 200 or 220 point contract to have some wiggle room if I want to do a one bedroom suite at the 7 month mark (depending on availability of course) or even a two bedroom on alternate years. My question is, I am likely to have some left over points on a somewhat regular basis. What is the minimum amount of points that work with renting? If I have say 50 points left over, am I likely to be able to rent them? While I'm not buying the contract to rent the points, I don't want to be stuck forfeiting points on a regular basis. Thanks

You are likely to be able to rent them. You may end up doing some at 7 months, and not getting premium, based on needing short requests.

If you buy Polynesian, you might never be able to book a one or two bedroom villa since they don't exist at the Polynesian. And depending on when you want to go, booking at seven months out can be tough some times, especially mid-Sept through mid-Jan and any RunDisney time.

You should have no problem at all. Polynesian points are hugely in demand from the rental brokerage sites for 7-11 month reservations.

If you have a surplus of ~40pts per year on a 200pt contract and use your points every year, you can bank for about 5 years before you have to start worrying about losing points. At that point you'll have ~200 points you can rent out of Poly's premium rates, which I think is a preferable method to renting out ~40pts every year at the 7 month mark.

I agree. You should be able to rent. Sometimes, in order to complete a reservation you may to use a few more points than expected.

I would consider other resorts if you want one or two bedrooms every other year. This does not make the Poly seem like a good choice.

I know that the Poly is limited insofar as it's only studios, but I know I would be happy renting two studios every other year if that is what I wind up doing. I am just looking for a bit of flexibility to either do another short trip or possibly stay in a one or two bedroom depending on availability. I'm taking to heart the idea of buy where you want to stay and if I get "stuck" staying in two Poly studios the entire time I own it, I'm okay with that. The extra points will also allow me to periodically play Santa Claus if a friend wants to bring their kids to Disney, which is a nice way to build up some good karma. I was just wondering about possibly renting points from time to time to offset some maintenance fees.

I hadn't thought about the prospect of banking and renting the points more periodically. That is an excellent idea.

If you have a surplus of ~40pts per year on a 200pt contract and use your points every year, you can bank for about 5 years before you have to start worrying about losing points. At that point you'll have ~200 points you can rent out of Poly's premium rates, which I think is a preferable method to renting out ~40pts every year at the 7 month mark.
I’m new to DVC and wasn’t aware of building up that big of a bank. I thought you can only bank into the next year and they must be used by end of that UY. Can you just keep rolling extra points into the next year and so on?

I’m new to DVC and wasn’t aware of building up that big of a bank. I thought you can only bank into the next year and they must be used by end of that UY. Can you just keep rolling extra points into the next year and so on?

You can not bank points that Have been banked, but if every year, you use less current UY points since you have banked points, thst will build slowly.

For example, you have 200 points, but only use 180. You bank 20. The next year, you use 180 again, but 20 are banked, so you only need 160 of your current UY.. Now you are banking 40. Same thing for year 3...need 180, but since 40 are banked, it only takes 140 of current, leaving 60 to bank. Continue this pattern and eventually, you end up with a lot more banked points.

You can not bank points that Have been banked, but if every year, you use less current UY points since you have banked points, thst will build slowly.

For example, you have 200 points, but only use 180. You bank 20. The next year, you use 180 again, but 20 are banked, so you only need 160 of your current UY.. Now you are banking 40. Same thing for year 3...need 180, but since 40 are banked, it only takes 140 of current, leaving 60 to bank. Continue this pattern and eventually, you end up with a lot more banked points.
Makes perfect sense now. Thank you!

Personally I would just find a 160 points contract that is loaded with banked points going in to your first stay. You save money up front, have extra points, and save on maintenance fees.

If you ever need to top off you go out and find someone to do a transfer of points again in the 100-200 point range as a one time thing.

Only reason I would buy 200 is if based on where I am going to say I needed 200 to make it work without the extra loaded points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!