Polite Pig tipping

Dreams&wishes

DIS Veteran
During my October trip we went to The Polite Pig for dinner, at the end of my order the cashier asked me directly if I wanted to tip him. I was a bit surprised for the direct question, but of course I said yes, then he asked me how much and he went ahead and gave me the options in cash not as a percentage (we had just spent $120). Now is this a usual thing to do? I thought that you don't tip at quick service locations, furthermore there was zero privacy there from either him or the people standing all around me, made me feel very uncomfortable. We had just spent over 40 mins outside in line in the rain to be able to eat here, I felt a bit taken aback from this question. We are planning to eat here again so I just want to be prepared.

This is the restaurant's standard policy ie. they ask you to prepay the tip when you order. I prefer to pay in cash at the table after I receive the service. To clarify, the tip is for the waitstaff and not for the cashier. Polite Pig is a strange hybrid quick service restaurant. You line up, order and prepay at the counter, you get all your utensils and sauces yourself and you find a table. Wait staff then brings your order to you, sometimes ask if you need anything else and may clear your table after you eat. I haven't had good service here the last 4x I've been. A large part of the problem is the concept of tipping at a quick service when the customer does a lot of the work. It confuses customers and they don't know what an appropriate tip should be. As a result, the tips are probably lower than at other dining spots in Disney Springs so unhappy wait staff and high staff turnover. Same concept used for years at Wolfgang Puck Express but IMO better service. Seem to be more veteran wait staff who are more attentive and professional.

They do it because it‘s sort of like a TS where they serve your food, bus your table and offer to refill your beverages or bring you sauce, ask how your meal is midway through, etc.....

But I decline to tip at the cash before I’ve been served my food. I don’t like to be put on the spot for food I haven’t received yet. And I prefer to get my own sauce and refill my beverage. I will usually leave a cash tip to the server after my meal though.

To clarify, the tip is for the waitstaff and not for the cashier.
And if that’s the case, I understand why people wouldn’t want to tip. They don’t handle any orders or transactions. In most cases, they’re just bringing out your food.

We haven't eaten here, but we were unsure what to do when we ate at Wolfgang Puck Express. I didn't think tipping was necessary at QS dining, but the guy that brought our food refilled our drinks for us, so we just ended up tipping normally.

I don't know I mean, even at Delux B and Captain Cook they bring your food to you, but no one puts you on the spot at the cashier asking for a tip in front of everyone . 🤔

It didn't seem weird to us at all. A lot of the local cafes/restuarants we eat at here locally do this. I guess though if you weren't used to it then it would seem strange.

I’ve seen that option pop up on the screen when paying by credit card at ordering at some hybrid type restaurants, but I’ve never been asked out loud and been expected to respond out loud if I want to leave a tip, especially in advance. That would be weird enough to me that I might not go back.

My wife and I was surprised by the ask as well when we went. We were there last year and was not asked.This year we was asked to leave a tip. The food here is great and a great value for a quick service but it is a quick service and the other quick service restaurants do not ask. If I leave a tip I prefer to leave at the table and not be put on the spot at the register.

I have a hybrid Mongolian BBQ type restaurant here. When you order at the cashier and grab your bowl, the screen gives an option of 0 tip, 5% tip, 10% tip, or custom tip. Prior to my food allergy, I would have put $0 in advance. But, now that I know I want the wait staff to definitely bring me the food I put in the bowl and give to the BBQ wielder, and I want the BBQ wielder to take the allergy seriously, I leave the 5% button for the whole order (6 people), figuring they are getting 15-20% to give a crap about my food...and I get the allergy listed on my order for my food, so it's noted. If I'm wildly happy at the end, I leave more money...but normally, it's normal service, so I leave.

It was a new thing to me, b/c places like Noodles and Company have the same concept (walk up and order, but we bring the food to your number and bus your table), but specifically tell you NOT to ever tip...so it's figuring out each quick service, but not quite, place...and it does get confusing. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'm not getting suckered at the Mongolian place, but like I said, I have special requests, so I figure I'm paying for that and I always pay for that now:)...

I have a hybrid Mongolian BBQ type restaurant here. When you order at the cashier and grab your bowl, the screen gives an option of 0 tip, 5% tip, 10% tip, or custom tip. Prior to my food allergy, I would have put $0 in advance. But, now that I know I want the wait staff to definitely bring me the food I put in the bowl and give to the BBQ wielder, and I want the BBQ wielder to take the allergy seriously, I leave the 5% button for the whole order (6 people), figuring they are getting 15-20% to give a crap about my food...and I get the allergy listed on my order for my food, so it's noted. If I'm wildly happy at the end, I leave more money...but normally, it's normal service, so I leave.

It was a new thing to me, b/c places like Noodles and Company have the same concept (walk up and order, but we bring the food to your number and bus your table), but specifically tell you NOT to ever tip...so it's figuring out each quick service, but not quite, place...and it does get confusing. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'm not getting suckered at the Mongolian place, but like I said, I have special requests, so I figure I'm paying for that and I always pay for that now:)...
I think that if it would have just appeared on the screen and then I was able to select the amount wouldn't have bothered me as much. But what really put me off was being asked loudly infront of everyone one the amount in dollars not even as a percentage, I just thought it was weird, unexpected and unnecessary.
Also up to that point I had never eaten at that place and all I had experienced was a 40 min wait in a line unde tthe rain... What kind of tip did they expect me to give? I also didn't know that the server was gonna bring our food out. They should just explain their process better they can't assume that everyone knows.

I think that if it would have just appeared on the screen and then I was able to select the amount wouldn't have bothered me as much. But what really put me off was being asked loudly infront of everyone one the amount in dollars not even as a percentage, I just thought it was weird, unexpected and unnecessary.
Also up to that point I had never eaten at that place and all I had experienced was a 40 min wait in a line unde tthe rain... What kind of tip did they expect me to give? I also didn't know that the server was gonna bring our food out. They should just explain their process better they can't assume that everyone knows.

Polite Pig is very active on social media. I would let them know about this if you feel comfortable, not because you want compensation or anything, just because the owners and executives really seem to care. Just my two cents....

I agree that it’s weird there and sometimes encounters like that leave me feeling uncomfortable. Of course, they aren’t hurting for business at all. Maybe less people will go and, we can enjoy shorter wait times!

I have no experience with etiquette at QS hybrid restaurants.

I'm just here because after reading the title, I was wondering wondering if pig tipping is anything like cow tipping, and if so, how one does it politely. Needless to say, the content of the thread was less entertaining than I imagined (although probably more practical).

Sounds same/similar to Wolfgang Puck Express. We enjoy many meals here.

We had quiet a few meals here where we did not leave a tip at the table because we had no cash. Sometimes we had no plans to go and ended up eating here too. The cashier does not ask you about tipping (unless it has recently changed).

We always felt bad the few times we had no cash. Not anymore - we have learned to always carry a few dollars now w/our ID, AP, TIW, DVC, AAA and I am sure I am forgetting some other card :teeth:. We had started to carry a few dollars too in case we needed to take a cab - but one does not even need money for a cab anymore. Order Uber/Lyft and it's all done on the card. Everything for us is on the Magic Band.

Good to know about Polite Pig - we have not tried it yet.

Must be something new. I eat there each trip, the last being in Oct 2019 and have never been asked for a tip upfront. I always leave a tip when im done but im not tipping anyone early. Thats just an opening for poor service and food to happen in the future.

During my October trip we went to The Polite Pig for dinner, at the end of my order the cashier asked me directly if I wanted to tip him. I was a bit surprised for the direct question, but of course I said yes, then he asked me how much and he went ahead and gave me the options in cash not as a percentage (we had just spent $120). Now is this a usual thing to do? I thought that you don't tip at quick service locations, furthermore there was zero privacy there from either him or the people standing all around me, made me feel very uncomfortable. We had just spent over 40 mins outside in line in the rain to be able to eat here, I felt a bit taken aback from this question. We are planning to eat here again so I just want to be prepared.
Baloney. This has to stop.

We have some local places where a server brings your food and drink but you order and pay first. I usually tip a minimal amount, like 10%.

I don’t like it either. Sometimes you get service that deserves a better tip. If I’m on the ball (rarely) I remember to bring some cash and leave it after the meal.

We've ordered at Polite Pig, said "no thank you" at the register and tipped the server in cash. We hand it directly to them, when we are leaving. We never leave cash tip on a table!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter