Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I can mimic exactly what PP said. Changed my vote to yes and already purchased. I'll only add the price with incentives was way better than I was expecting for a new resort. That, along with everything PP said above, is why I purchased.

I changed my vote to yes. We have been researching it more in the time since, and although the prospect of resale still bothers me a little if we ever had to sell, I also do not think I believe the price will bottom out. Lower than the others quite possibly so, but not next to zero. And ideally, considering we want an Epcot resort, we will keep this long-term. The incentives are good. The MFs are high but I'm not convinced they will look unique compared to the other resorts in another year or two. We were actually interested in a runDisney fixed week, but they aren't offering that for Riviera, so that's a bit of a bummer. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I dunno, but we like Riviera a lot, we like the gondolas, and we like the nearby grounds of CBR, so if we are ready it makes sense to do it now when the direct pricing is lower.

I will update this in a year or two if necessary, haha.

I would suggest that unless there is some sort of discounted incentive for it, you generally do not need a fixed week for run Disney events. While they do book up faster than the average dates - you can easily get your rooms booked at 11 months with no problems. The only potentially difficult one might be the Wine and Dine in November, as this location (Riviera) will likely be very popular, but with so many rooms available I still don't think you will see an issue getting it booked - as long as you aren't shooting for the 2-person tower studios.

I would suggest that unless there is some sort of discounted incentive for it, you generally do not need a fixed week for run Disney events. While they do book up faster than the average dates - you can easily get your rooms booked at 11 months with no problems. The only potentially difficult one might be the Wine and Dine in November, as this location (Riviera) will likely be very popular, but with so many rooms available I still don't think you will see an issue getting it booked - as long as you aren't shooting for the 2-person tower studios.

Yep I agree. In fact, we were specifically interested in the W&D races, but it's not a huge deal overall. We're not shooting for the tower studios. I'm interested in the makeup of standard vs. preferred studios, but in the end it's not super important. It seems like there are enough of them that getting one at 11 months shouldn't be a big challenge without a guaranteed week.

I have to admit, I'm debating now whether to buy Riviera. We own BWV and love it, and really want to keep an Epcot resort in our portfolio since Epcot is our favorite park. We're in our 30s and with BWV expiring in 23 years with a quarter of our points, we still want an Epcot resort beyond that but I imagine the cost of BWV when it's resold will be very high. The Riviera price with incentives is better than I had expected, and the room layouts and sizing are also better than I expected. I like the variety of dining options, the kids water play area, and the fact that there are walking paths. The gondola would have to be a success for it to be worth it, so purchasing would mean placing trust in that aspect. I wouldn't anticipate needing to sell, but if we really needed to and if resale Riviera really doesn't sell well, we could sell some of our pre-1/19 resale points instead. I was considering BLT resale for the contract length and walking access to MK, but we already own CCV and VGF and don't really need another MK area resort. Decisions, decisions...

I was considering BLT resale for the contract length and walking access to MK, but we already own CCV and VGF and don't really need another MK area resort. Decisions, decisions...

I voted "maybe" and I'm still a maybe, but leaning yes. I get that the resale restrictions are an issue, but if we end up being a distressed seller, whether we would get an extra $X per point is not going to be top of mind. Our previous points are all pre-1/19, which before had me thinking that I would add on to BLT when the price was right. But then, for the size of contract we'd be considering, for an extra $7000 or so over a restricted BLT contract, we'd have access to all the DVC1 and 2 resorts, and a home resort in the EP/HS area. We have toyed with buying BWV/BCV but the expiration date always stopped us from doing so. I'm thinking we may take a tour when we are there next time.

When did they do the extensions on key west contracts?
I can't help but think it would make sense to sell extensions at boardwalk and beach club, but not until riviera sells out.

I'm in the boat of wanting points in the epcot resort area, but the contract length of the current epcot resorts gives me pause.

I can't help but think if all things were equal, and you could buy Riviera/Boardwalk/Beach club for the same cost per point/dues with the same contract length, I'd be boardwalk bound. While the skyliner is convenient, it's not the same as a quick walk.

When did they do the extensions on key west contracts?
I can't help but think it would make sense to sell extensions at boardwalk and beach club, but not until riviera sells out.

I'm in the boat of wanting points in the epcot resort area, but the contract length of the current epcot resorts gives me pause.

I can't help but think if all things were equal, and you could buy Riviera/Boardwalk/Beach club for the same cost per point/dues with the same contract length, I'd be boardwalk bound. While the skyliner is convenient, it's not the same as a quick walk.

My reasoning why they are unlikely to do this. BCV/BWV point structures are too low for current DVC resorts like BLT and Riviera. Disney will want to add 25-30 % to the per night point cost when they resell these two resorts come 2040. There's a chance they will offer current owners extensions, but discount will be small and again only after they announce the new point structure. They can't change the total number of points at an existing resort - but they certainly can re-do a resort when the lease runs out. (Name another resort that has a view like Boardwalk that doesn't charge ANY extra points for the view?)

My reasoning why they are unlikely to do this. BCV/BWV point structures are too low for current DVC resorts like BLT and Riviera. Disney will want to add 25-30 % to the per night point cost when they resell these two resorts come 2040. There's a chance they will offer current owners extensions, but discount will be small and again only after they announce the new point structure. They can't change the total number of points at an existing resort - but they certainly can re-do a resort when the lease runs out. (Name another resort that has a view like Boardwalk that doesn't charge ANY extra points for the view?)
BWV currently has 2 points charts, standard, and Boardwalk/garden view. If you want that good view, you pay more.

I would say they are structuring Riviera exactly like BWV withinly 2 levels. Standard view and preferred. That’s what BWV’s does. You have the standard view, and the BW or P/G views are the same price. Maybe they will label the preferred views depending on what you can see, and maybe not. They might leave it “preferred” and “standard”. Regardless, it’s the same structure.

I would say they are structuring Riviera exactly like BWV withinly 2 levels. Standard view and preferred. That’s what BWV’s does. You have the standard view, and the BW or P/G views are the same price. Maybe they will label the preferred views depending on what you can see, and maybe not. They might leave it “preferred” and “standard”. Regardless, it’s the same structure.

I understand that - but BWV has three view descriptions but only two point cost. BLT has three view description AND three point costs. We can argue, but my bet is they will make the Boardwalk view more points than the pool/garden view.

And even if they leave it at two - compare the two points charts and look how much "cheaper" point-wise a standard view room at Boardwalk is versus Riviera, and same thing preferred. I mean, I get that Riviera is going to be handy to Epcot via Gondola, but no way on earth Riviera is going to be better than Boardwalk. In 2042 we will see new point chart for that resort with the entire resort being worth more points. As I said, a new start let's them reboot the number of points for the whole resort.

I understand that - but BWV has three view descriptions but only two point cost. BLT has three view description AND three point costs. We can argue, but my bet is they will make the Boardwalk view more points than the pool/garden view.

And even if they leave it at two - compare the two points charts and look how much "cheaper" point-wise a standard view room at Boardwalk is versus Riviera, and same thing preferred. I mean, I get that Riviera is going to be handy to Epcot via Gondola, but no way on earth Riviera is going to be better than Boardwalk. In 2042 we will see new point chart for that resort with the entire resort being worth more points. As I said, a new start let's them reboot the number of points for the whole resort.

I agree. BWV will see a complete overhaul of their point chart when it expires. I fully expect them to simply refurb the whole thing and sell it as new with a much more expensive buy in and point chart. We will be in our 50s by then, so buying a new resort probably won’t happen. We should have enough points to keep us happy.

& this is what still makes BCV/BWV worth it, even at the ridiculous buyin... at least until they monkey with the charts again. That’s why they pulled that crap on resorts with no demand issues to begin with. They had to make DRR’s points chart look palatable. Wonder if they changed the chart in the last couple of months...

& this is what still makes BCV/BWV worth it, even at the ridiculous buyin... at least until they monkey with the charts again. That’s why they pulled that crap on resorts with no demand issues to begin with. They had to make DRR’s points chart look palatable. Wonder if they changed the chart in the last couple of months...

Well, they can't mess with BWV and BCV too much because there ARE dedicated rooms at those two resorts - they can tweak like they did in the original 2020 charts, but they have to reduce the 2-bedrooms to somewhat match studios and 1-bds. I'm talking about when the resort expires.

I agree. No extension for BWV or BCV. Remodel, resell as new and jack up the point chart to at least BLT.

Well, they can't mess with BWV and BCV too much because there ARE dedicated rooms at those two resorts - they can tweak like they did in the original 2020 charts, but they have to reduce the 2-bedrooms to somewhat match studios and 1-bds. I'm talking about when the resort expires.
Yes. I understand you were talking about 2042. Most DRR buyers (like the majority of all retail buyers of late) are going to look at the studio chart. There was no reason beside being able to avoid talking about the points for a BCV or BWV studio with perspective buyers, for suddenly jacking up the studios & 1bds at these resorts. I truly believe this & that DVCMC was negligent in their obligation to protect members’ interests.

I also believe they lowered some combo of price pp and/or points per unit for DRR between Jan & now. All speculation of course, but I strongly believe it.

I voted "maybe" and I'm still a maybe, but leaning yes. I get that the resale restrictions are an issue, but if we end up being a distressed seller, whether we would get an extra $X per point is not going to be top of mind. Our previous points are all pre-1/19, which before had me thinking that I would add on to BLT when the price was right. But then, for the size of contract we'd be considering, for an extra $7000 or so over a restricted BLT contract, we'd have access to all the DVC1 and 2 resorts, and a home resort in the EP/HS area. We have toyed with buying BWV/BCV but the expiration date always stopped us from doing so. I'm thinking we may take a tour when we are there next time.

I hear you... BWV/BCV are definitely pricey considering the contract length and the earlier expiration is a big factor in my consideration of Riviera. We bit the bullet on BWV resale last year because we just love the Epcot resort area and value the walking access to 2 parks that much. Plus the point chart is a great value and offsets the cost somewhat. It'll be a bummer when it expires, but we plan on holding on to our BWV until the end and using every point there if we can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!