Poly with 2 littles- patio or 3rd floor request

pixiedust2u

Mouseketeer
new here, couldn’t find a Polynesian forum so thought I’d try here.

Heading to the Poly for 6 nights end of April- May. We are a family of 4, kids are almost 2 and almost 5. We’ll have a stroller. We are doing 2 days at MK, one at AK, rest of days are pool days.

I keep going back and forth between requesting a patio or balcony room. My husband and I def will want to space to hang out after the kids are asleep. We are in a standard view room, so with a balcony we might not see much, though there’s always a chance we could have a view if something! On the other hand a patio might give us more space for kids to roam, and ease of pulling the stroller right up to the room in the event one of them falls asleep or something.

Can anyone else offer input? I was also thinking of requesting Samoa if available. But the patio/balcony is def more of the priority request!

Are either of your kids at all likely to climb the railings? Patio.
Are you concerned at all about security? Balcony.

We loved both our patio and CL balcony rooms.

I would give the edge to the patio, as we were in Niue facing the volcano pool. It was a great spot and we loved the view.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...villas-information-questions.3398524/page-829
Here’s the Poly thread where the Poly experts hang out :)
I wouldn’t get too hung up on patio v. balcony since you could end up in one of the the 2nd floor rooms which has neither as happened to us on our only Poly stay despite our request, request 1st or 3rd floor to increase you chance of having outdoor space. The Poly has lush landscaping.

Ours are 2 and 5 and we always request first floor(at Poly and all resorts at WDW). Quicker trip back to the room. Easy to roll stroller in if they're asleep. And sometimes you have a nice grassy area to play in.

With little ones and a stroller, I would, personally, request 1st floor Rarotonga or Niue. They are both super close to GCH, the path to TTC (to catch the EP monorail), the pools and they aren't as loud as the longhouses with standard views near luau cove on the other side of the resort. I loved our patio room in Fiji, but, boy, on luau nights the noise didn't stop until after 10 pm. Noise from the lagoon (boats, EWP and fireworks) can also be a factor. We really love Rarotonga as it's literally 5 steps from the GCH and, if it's raining, that's golden. I would not recommend requesting Samoa as that entire longhouse is categorized as pool/marina view so the request will, most likely, not be honored. The standard rooms are in Rarotonga, Niue, Fiji, Aotearoa and Tuvalu. Just know, you cannot lock or unlock the patio doors from the outside, but, certainly, one parent could go to the patio door while the other opens the room door and then unlocks the patio from there.

With little ones and a stroller, I would, personally, request 1st floor Rarotonga or Niue. They are both super close to GCH, the path to TTC (to catch the EP monorail), the pools and they aren't as loud as the longhouses with standard views near luau cove on the other side of the resort. I loved our patio room in Fiji, but, boy, on luau nights the noise didn't stop until after 10 pm. Noise from the lagoon (boats, EWP and fireworks) can also be a factor. We really love Rarotonga as it's literally 5 steps from the GCH and, if it's raining, that's golden. I would not recommend requesting Samoa as that entire longhouse is categorized as pool/marina view so the request will, most likely, not be honored. The standard rooms are in Rarotonga, Niue, Fiji, Aotearoa and Tuvalu. Just know, you cannot lock or unlock the patio doors from the outside, but, certainly, one parent could go to the patio door while the other opens the room door and then unlocks the patio from there.
This is so helpful! Thank you!

My kids are 8 and 4 and have been 1+ in our Poly travels. We typically request a first or third floor room to - in theory - up the odds of an outdoor space. I've never personally been too concerned with which one we get, only that the outdoor space is our preference and I'm OK with either. Now that the kids are older, ground floor is becoming a bit more desirable if you have something outside your room worth walking out to, but that's not necessarily always a given with Poly rooms as what's outside your room will vary from lawns to plants to pathways to worse from your view category, so no guaranty what's outside your room will be worth 'walking out' to.

Samoa used to be many people's first choice (central location, good views, etc) but most if not all rooms there are now Pool/Marina View rooms. I second the suggestion for Roratonga with your view category - good spot.

BTW, :welcome: to the DIS!

We stayed in 1st floor standard view in Rarotonga last summer and LOVED it. I want to say it was room 1824 - somewhere in the center? We had a rain garden right outside of our room and a little green space with a bunny that would visit out their daily. Lush landscaping shielded our view of the parking area and we could hear the soft music from the lobby entrance - it was nice and private. We could see the monorail whiz by which the kids loved, but once you shut the door you didn't hear a thing. Super quick walk to the bus stop, Oasis pool and laundry off the one end, and steps to the GCH and Lava pool on the other.

We've had a patio room at Poly before and enjoyed it. It was standard view, and we had grass space outside our room beyond the patio. I would advise to not keep your patio door open because like with any ground floor room, the little lizards could (and have) sneak in!

Does the Poly still have carpet in the rooms? We stayed at CSR recently that has hardwood floors (or laminate, whatever) and noticed we could quite clearly hear the people walking on the floor above us. I think this is more muffled when the rooms still have carpeting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter