Polynesian Birthday Trip - March 2018 AND Contemporary June 2018!

paradesintherain

DIS Veteran
Well, we just got back from our big retirement/birthday celebration for my dad. This trip was pretty special because we got our first Annual Passes! So what do you do with new APs? Plan another trip, obviously!

So, my birthday is March 9th and I'll be turning an age I'd rather now own to.... but I might as well -

I knew I wanted to be at a Disney park to celebrate my birthday as it helps me avoid the Birthday Blues (anyone else get these?). I spent 2017 at Disneyland, and 2016 at Disney World!

But anyway, I called Dad to talk about the AP discounts around my birthday, mentioned that I'd taken some PTO at work. Not that I need much - since I'm a nurse I work 3 days a week. Every 3 weeks I can have 8 days off without taking PTO. I'll work Sunday, Monday, Tuesday of one week and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday of the next week. But I took off the Monday, Tuesday and the Thursday off. Well, immediately after I told Dad this I guess he got online and booked a room at the Polynesian Village Resort! And booked plane tickets!

So, for the TL;DR crowd:

Who: Dad and I!
Why: For my birthday! Gotta avoid those Birthday Blues
When: March 6-12th (I'm contemplating adding some solo days...)

Where: Polynesian Village Resort! Marina/pool view

Table of Contents
1. Introductions

2. Making a List
3. Updates
4. Big News!
5. Tentative Plans for March

Last edited:
Introductions:

Hi and welcome to my pre-trip report! I'm Kara, your host.
26142783699_65e138accf_z.jpg

Though, I guess that picture isn't the most accurate because I dyed my hair brown. Who knows what it'll be in March, though.

24684726418_5ddc563e24_z.jpg

I'm a 30 year old (though I don't know how that's even possible) nurse from Kansas City. I've been going to Disney on both coasts since I was about 5 years old. In 2006 I did the College Program at Animal Kingdom Lodge - I worked at the Mara and in In Room Dining so that resort really feels like home to me.

I tend to be kind of a commando, though I always intend to rest and relax, but there's just so much to see and do!

And this is my Dad, Tony. He should be retired but they keep enticing him to stay longer. He loves Disney just as much as me, except he's pretty hard on Disneyland.
37778870804_f17bf76d24_z.jpg

His favorite thing to do is get a glass--it has to be a REAL glass--of Bodington's at the Rose and Crown pub. He's pretty go with the flow so I get to do the bulk of the planning!

Making a list

So I've been trying to think of things that I've always wanted to do at the World, but haven't, either because of time constrictions or it would be too much money for a large group of people, and this is what I've kind of come up with. Maybe once I come up with a list of things to do I'll start planning individual days, though I'm still thinking I don't want to have things so scheduled this trip. Oh, also some things might be cheaper with AP discounts so it could be a pretty good time to try some new things.

1. Wild Africa Trek - this looks like so much fun but the cost would really add up for a larger group. I believe this is one of the things that would be cheaper with AP discount

2. Disney After Hours - This is the last one, on March 8. Since it is a shorter trip it might be fun to maximize time with this late night event and it's $89 with AP discount. But then again it might be better to just relax rather than try to cram park time into every minute. Decisions, decisions.

3. Behind the Seeds tour - I feel like I'll for sure do this one. It's inexpensive and I would love to get a closer look at the greenhouses.

4. Artist Point - I mentioned wanting to try this restaurant the next time we had dining plan, but Dad says we can just pay OOP on this trip. Easier to do when it's just two of us. Welcome to any recommendations on better signatures but that cedar plank salmon is calling out to me! (We've been to Narcoosees, California Grill, Jiko, and Tiffins)

5. California Grill brunch - in my normal life I never get to do brunch #NightShiftProblems, and this brunch looks exceptional. Need to try that Bloody Mary bar!

6. Try some solo days - it seems unnecessary to add more days, logically. But realistically there's never enough Disney days and I really want to try out solo time. I've done a little bit of solo at Disneyland, but never at Disney World. Caribbean Beach has some pretty decent rates on a king bed room and I'm sure I could stomach the construction for a couple days...

Last edited:
:yay: Trying my best to beat the post-Disney depression by planning another trip!

Good idea :thumbsup2

1. Wild Africa Trek - this looks like so much fun but the cost would really add up for a larger group. I believe this is one of the things that would be cheaper with AP discount

We thought this was pretty fun! The discount is only on certain times though I think it's towards the noonish (I've heard they're discounted because it's usually hotter then), but it won't be too hot in March. We did ours in Dec, and I don't think I would've been able to bear a hotter month it was actually 80 something our day too.

Disney After Hours - This is the last one, on March 8. Since it is a shorter trip it might be fun to maximize time with this late night event and it's $89 with AP discount. But then again it might be better to just relax rather than try to cram park time into every minute. Decisions, decisions.

This looks fun I've always wanted to try this! I'd say do it if you can the discount seems pretty significant.

California Grill brunch - in my normal life I never get to do brunch #NightShiftProblems, and this brunch looks exceptional. Need to try that Bloody Mary bar!

Yum this was great and from what I've seen they switch up the menu every so often. Plus you can order more than one entree!

Good idea :thumbsup2

We thought this was pretty fun! The discount is only on certain times though I think it's towards the noonish (I've heard they're discounted because it's usually hotter then), but it won't be too hot in March. We did ours in Dec, and I don't think I would've been able to bear a hotter month it was actually 80 something our day too.

This looks fun I've always wanted to try this! I'd say do it if you can the discount seems pretty significant.

Yum this was great and from what I've seen they switch up the menu every so often. Plus you can order more than one entree!

Glad to hear a positive review of Wild Africa Trek (not that I've heard negative reviews!) It's probably a time eater, though, right?

Yeah Disney After Hours seems fun and would really help maximize time in MK... Dad isn't so into the extra ticketed events but I think I can talk him into it.

I booked the brunch :drinking1(pretend that's red!)

Updates

Well, I know I said I didn't want to book ADRs, but I am weak.

Thursday, March 8th - Be Our Guest lunch ADR at 1:30. I'm not sure I have any desire to actually eat at Be Our Guest, but I looked to see if reservations were available, and they were, so what else was I to do? I guess if it comes down to it we could go in, grab a cupcake and a soda, admire the rooms and leave.

Sunday, March 11th - California Grill - Brunch At The Top at 10:50 am. I think we'll for sure keep this ADR. Bottomless Mimosas? Yes please!

A bit, it's a couple of hours maybe around 3? But we knew we were doing it that day so that's all we really had planned.

Yay! You'll love it!

I'll have to think about it some more... it'd probably be a one or the other with Wild Africa Trek vs Disney After Hours. Btw I just realized you followed me on Insta and I followed you back! Love the pictures you posted from your Wild Africa Trek!

Joining in! Yay for a birthday trip!

Disney After Hours always seem so fun! And brunch at California Grill looks so good!

Hello, welcome!

I'm pretty excited to be spending my birthday at the World, and trying some new things (hopefully)!

Big News!

This PTR has just turned into a DOUBLE PTR!

So, I called my dad today, just to talk, and he casually mentioned that he made a calendar for the new year and put my work schedule on it, and my 8 days off in June aligns with a work conference at Disney World for him. And then he says "so I booked a room at the Contemporary". WHAT! And then I'm questioning him about the room, assuming it's Garden Wing, but he says "well here's the exciting part: it's a tower room!" DOUBLE WHAT. I guess the conference rates were really great ($250 for tower on Bay Lake side).

He booked for June 24-28, and I figured that would be it, just a short trip. NOPE, he says he wants to add 3 days or so on at the beginning of the trip at the Beach Club once AP discounts are released.

I'm so happy! But it's been about 4 years since I've done a summer Disney World trip, so let's see how that goes... Also, if Toy Story Land isn't open I will riot!

Tentative Plans for March

I've gotta start thinking about which parks we want to visit in March, FP dates will be here fairly soon!

• Tuesday, March 6th - Arrival day
    • 9:35 am: Depart on Southwest from Kansas City, change planes in Atlanta (ew, layover)
    • 3 pm: Arrive in Orlando!
    • ~5 pm: Arrive at the Poly and check in
    • Several options for this evening: relax at the hotel, Disney Springs, a few hours at Magic Kingdom, or EMH until 11 at Epcot. I don't think I'll make any FPs.
  • Wednesday, March 7th - Animal Kingdom
    • Hours 9am - 8pm
    • FP - Flight of Passage (hopefully), Kilimanjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest
    • Side note: I don't think I've ever spent the first day at Animal Kingdom
  • Thursday, March 8th - Magic Kingdom
    • Hours: 9am - 9pm, Disney After Hours 9pm - midnight
    • FP - Splash Mountain (!!!!!! it was closed on our last trip), Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
    • Be Our Guest ADR @ 1:30 pm, but may still cancel
  • Friday, March 9th - MY BIRTHDAY! and Hollywood Studios
    • Hours: 9am - 8 pm
    • FP - Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours
    • Yup, I want to spend my birthday at Hollywood Studios!
  • Saturday, March 10th - Epcot
    • Hours: 9am - 9pm
    • FP - Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Frozen Ever After
  • Sunday, March 11th - Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom?
    • I cannot decide on this day
    • California Grill brunch at 10:50 am. I was thinking this would make more sense on the June trip, but Dad says this might work better for him. It's honestly kind of hard to work around!

OoOoO your plans sound fun! I think it's nice that you're spending your bday at DHS, I am still very much a fan of that park!

What a great idea! Your dad sounds awesome! Excited to see if Porg makes this trip with you:earboy2:

How fun! We will be there March 8-13. We also have brunch at California booked on March 11, but our reservation is at 12:30. Who knows? We may bump into each other anyway! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your plans! We are going to a couple of Braves spring training games while there too!

OoOoO your plans sound fun! I think it's nice that you're spending your bday at DHS, I am still very much a fan of that park!

I do too! I was buying into the idea that there's nothing to do at DHS, but then I went and had a great time and wished I had more time. I just gotta figure out WHAT to do.
What a great idea! Your dad sounds awesome! Excited to see if Porg makes this trip with you:earboy2:

My dad is the best dad in the world... I may be biased though! Porg will definitely be coming along! And he's going to the movie with me on Thursday!

How fun! We will be there March 8-13. We also have brunch at California booked on March 11, but our reservation is at 12:30. Who knows? We may bump into each other anyway! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your plans! We are going to a couple of Braves spring training games while there too!

Oooh we just could bump into each other! Do you have a PTR anywhere? Where are you guys staying?

Polynesian Trip Update!

Man I have been so bad about updating this... probably because I've been so bad about paying attention to the trip and really planning anything. I did book FPs about 10 days ago so I thought I'd share our final plans for the March trip. I don't have it scheduled anywhere, but at some point we'll probably eat dinner at Artist Point... I just don't want to book an ADR and be tied down.
  • Tuesday, March 6th - Arrival
    • Still arriving at 3 pm
    • We could spend some time at a park, but I'm thinking we'll probably just go to Disney Springs or enjoy the Polynesian.
  • Wednesday, March 7th - Animal Kingdom
    • I knew it'd probably be impossible to get a Flight of Passage FP if Animal Kingdom was our first day, and I was right. But that's ok.
    • 09:35-10:35 -- Expedition Everest
    • 11:10 - 12:10 -- Kilimanjaro Safaris
    • 01:35 - 02:35 -- Na'vi River Journey
  • Thursday, March 8th - Magic Kingdom
    • 09:30 - 10:30 -- Space Mountain
    • 10:40 - 11:40 -- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
    • 01:30 -- ADR at Be Our Guest. I don't know if we'll actually eat there, but I guess I should decide soon!
    • 02:20 - 03:20 -- Splash Mountain (HOORAY, this was closed last time!)
  • Friday, March 9th - MY BIRTHDAY! Hollywood Studios
    • 09:30 - 10:30 -- Toy Story Mania
    • 10:30 - 11:30 -- Star Tours
    • 11:40 - 12:40 -- Tower of Terror
    • We might eat at Hollywood Brown Derby lounge, I've been wanting to try that Cobb salad for a long time. Will definitely be visiting Baseline Taphouse, and all the characters at Launch Bay.
  • Saturday, March 10th - Epcot
    • 10:10 - 11:10 -- Living with the Land
    • 12:10 - 01:10 -- Frozen Ever After
    • I didn't even bother picking a third FP, there's just no point. Epcot's FPs are the worst. But I figure we'll focus a lot on the Flower & Garden stuff anyway.
  • Sunday, March 11th - Animal Kingdom/whatever park we want more time in
    • 9:45-10:45 -- Flight of Passage (had to get them this day just in case we can't score same day!)
    • 11:35 - 12:35 -- Kilimanjaro Safaris
    • Not really sure why I didn't book a third FP... I guess I thought we probably wouldn't stay at Animal Kingdom that long? Who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter