Polynesian booking question?

LIPeter

Mouseketeer
Joined
Oct 5, 2014
Im staying at the Polynesian from 9/28-9/30, and booked the pool/marina view. I’ve read a lot about dvc points, but haven’t done research on them. Is it cheaper to do it that way, or stay with my regular reservation? I’m looking for the best options. I’m also going solo, so I don’t need anything big.
 

_auroraborealis_

I like marshmallows. And adult beverages.
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
It would be cheaper, but you are late to the game to book DVC for this fall already. Poly is extremely popular and needs to be booked 11-7 months out.
 


  • Brett Wyman

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 30, 2018
    Both standard and lake views are still available for your dates. But that's because we are still in the 11 month window.

    I'd recommend finding a broker quickly and putting your request in if you are serious about renting points. Once the 7 months hits they'll go quickly.

    Rented points for the standard view studio would be around $288 a night.
     

    disny_luvr

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 7, 2008
    It is cheaper. I rented points for a Poly stay this summer and it’s averaging out to $368/night.

    As a PP said, you’re pretty late in the game at this point as Poly is very popular. You’re best bet would be to contact a DVC rental agency and see if there is any availability. If not, you might be able to get on a waitlist. I guess you could also find a renter that might be willing to put you on a waitlist, but I’m thinking most renters won’t do that as they want to guarantee their points get used.
     

    DurhamBuckeye

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 14, 2020
    I'm looking to rent points for the Polynesian as well. It's our second time doing it. And it seems like, right now, I am hearing from the brokers that there are FAR more people looking for Poly points than there are owners of Poly points willing to rent them out.

    So if you really want to stay there, be sure to hold onto your current reservation.
     
  • Brett Wyman

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 30, 2018
    I'm looking to rent points for the Polynesian as well. It's our second time doing it. And it seems like, right now, I am hearing from the brokers that there are FAR more people looking for Poly points than there are owners of Poly points willing to rent them out.

    So if you really want to stay there, be sure to hold onto your current reservation.
    That's true but once the 7 month window opens its much easier as anyone can book for you so the pool of rentable points jumps exponentially. September is also one of the easier months to book at 7 months, if you're quick.
     

    Brett Wyman

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 30, 2018
    FYI, brokers recently increased the cost for rentals to $20 per point for premium resorts. Not a deal breaker but more than people have paid in the past.
    Man they just jumped from 16 to 18 not that long a go!

    You will get it for $19 if booking within the 7 month window.
     
  • Debbie Jean

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 22, 2005
    Man they just jumped from 16 to 18 not that long a go!

    You will get it for $19 if booking within the 7 month window.
    Big jump in dues meant that in order to induce owners to continue to rent through them, they really had to increase pay out.

    Problem with the 7 month window is availability which can be an issue depending on the time of year and resort.
     

    Deb & Bill

    DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
    Joined
    Mar 20, 2000
    LIPeter, if you get any private messages from people offering their points to rent or a confirmed reservation, ignore them. And report them to the Webmaster. That is one way people are getting cheated by the unsavory types.
     

    LIPeter

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 5, 2014
    Ok, I need some opinions. So, I made my requests to 2 different rental sites. I put a small deposit down for both of them. I believe I can cancel one of them, and get my deposit back if I do it before anything is confirmed. The other I am not so sure about. I am hoping that one will find something for me, and I can cancel the other right away. Should I cancel one of them, and hope for the best, or take a chance with both of them?
     

    SharonZ

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jan 2, 2002
    Just make sure you read up about renting points and the restrictions that come with it. Most rental agencies require full payment at time of booking, most don't have a cancellation policy, and most don't allow changes after booking.
     

    LIPeter

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 5, 2014
    Nothing is booked yet. I’m hoping that one will find something for me, and then I could cancel the other one immediately. But I’m afraid that they will both confirm a booking at the same time. I want to give myself a better chance, but do you think it’s wise doing it this way. Should I just cancel one now, just to be in the safe side?
     

    Marionnette

    Children see magic because they look for it
    Joined
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nothing is booked yet. I’m hoping that one will find something for me, and then I could cancel the other one immediately. But I’m afraid that they will both confirm a booking at the same time. I want to give myself a better chance, but do you think it’s wise doing it this way. Should I just cancel one now, just to be in the safe side?
    How comfortable are you with losing your deposit at whichever broker you choose to rescind on?

    As an owner, I would be pretty ticked off if I went to the trouble of booking for someone and then they reneged. I would expect to keep the deposit. The reason that owners rent thru agencies (and take less for their points) is to avoid those issues.

    The 7-month window for your dates opens soon. That’s when owners can book anywhere regardless of where they own (with the exception of maybe Riviera). At 8:00 on that morning, a lot of owners will be looking to switch their home resort reservation for another resort. There’s no way of telling whether it will work out for you because the online booking tool doesn’t tell us whether there is one studio available or 20. But at this point, I highly recommend just going with one broker and getting your deposit back from the other.
     

    LIPeter

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 5, 2014
    I’m not too worried about the deposit. It’s only around $100. I just don’t want to have 2 reservations at the same time. Then I can’t really do anything because I’m locked in.
     



    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.





    DISNEY WORLD RESORT GUIDES


    DISNEY WORLD RESORT MAPS


    DISNEY WORLD RESORT MENUS


    DISNEY WORLD TICKETS


    THEME PARK HOURS
    DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS


    Top