Polynesian booking question?

LIPeter

Mouseketeer
Im staying at the Polynesian from 9/28-9/30, and booked the pool/marina view. I’ve read a lot about dvc points, but haven’t done research on them. Is it cheaper to do it that way, or stay with my regular reservation? I’m looking for the best options. I’m also going solo, so I don’t need anything big.

It would be cheaper, but you are late to the game to book DVC for this fall already. Poly is extremely popular and needs to be booked 11-7 months out.

Both standard and lake views are still available for your dates. But that's because we are still in the 11 month window.

I'd recommend finding a broker quickly and putting your request in if you are serious about renting points. Once the 7 months hits they'll go quickly.

Rented points for the standard view studio would be around $288 a night.

It is cheaper. I rented points for a Poly stay this summer and it’s averaging out to $368/night.

As a PP said, you’re pretty late in the game at this point as Poly is very popular. You’re best bet would be to contact a DVC rental agency and see if there is any availability. If not, you might be able to get on a waitlist. I guess you could also find a renter that might be willing to put you on a waitlist, but I’m thinking most renters won’t do that as they want to guarantee their points get used.

I'm looking to rent points for the Polynesian as well. It's our second time doing it. And it seems like, right now, I am hearing from the brokers that there are FAR more people looking for Poly points than there are owners of Poly points willing to rent them out.

So if you really want to stay there, be sure to hold onto your current reservation.

I'm looking to rent points for the Polynesian as well. It's our second time doing it. And it seems like, right now, I am hearing from the brokers that there are FAR more people looking for Poly points than there are owners of Poly points willing to rent them out.

So if you really want to stay there, be sure to hold onto your current reservation.

That's true but once the 7 month window opens its much easier as anyone can book for you so the pool of rentable points jumps exponentially. September is also one of the easier months to book at 7 months, if you're quick.

FYI, brokers recently increased the cost for rentals to $20 per point for premium resorts. Not a deal breaker but more than people have paid in the past.

Man they just jumped from 16 to 18 not that long a go!

You will get it for $19 if booking within the 7 month window.

Man they just jumped from 16 to 18 not that long a go!

You will get it for $19 if booking within the 7 month window.

Big jump in dues meant that in order to induce owners to continue to rent through them, they really had to increase pay out.

Problem with the 7 month window is availability which can be an issue depending on the time of year and resort.

LIPeter, if you get any private messages from people offering their points to rent or a confirmed reservation, ignore them. And report them to the Webmaster. That is one way people are getting cheated by the unsavory types.

Ok, I need some opinions. So, I made my requests to 2 different rental sites. I put a small deposit down for both of them. I believe I can cancel one of them, and get my deposit back if I do it before anything is confirmed. The other I am not so sure about. I am hoping that one will find something for me, and I can cancel the other right away. Should I cancel one of them, and hope for the best, or take a chance with both of them?

Just make sure you read up about renting points and the restrictions that come with it. Most rental agencies require full payment at time of booking, most don't have a cancellation policy, and most don't allow changes after booking.

Nothing is booked yet. I’m hoping that one will find something for me, and then I could cancel the other one immediately. But I’m afraid that they will both confirm a booking at the same time. I want to give myself a better chance, but do you think it’s wise doing it this way. Should I just cancel one now, just to be in the safe side?

Nothing is booked yet. I’m hoping that one will find something for me, and then I could cancel the other one immediately. But I’m afraid that they will both confirm a booking at the same time. I want to give myself a better chance, but do you think it’s wise doing it this way. Should I just cancel one now, just to be in the safe side?
How comfortable are you with losing your deposit at whichever broker you choose to rescind on?

As an owner, I would be pretty ticked off if I went to the trouble of booking for someone and then they reneged. I would expect to keep the deposit. The reason that owners rent thru agencies (and take less for their points) is to avoid those issues.

The 7-month window for your dates opens soon. That’s when owners can book anywhere regardless of where they own (with the exception of maybe Riviera). At 8:00 on that morning, a lot of owners will be looking to switch their home resort reservation for another resort. There’s no way of telling whether it will work out for you because the online booking tool doesn’t tell us whether there is one studio available or 20. But at this point, I highly recommend just going with one broker and getting your deposit back from the other.

I’m not too worried about the deposit. It’s only around $100. I just don’t want to have 2 reservations at the same time. Then I can’t really do anything because I’m locked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!