Ponchos or umbrellas?

SWLeia

Earning My Ears
Crazy question but I was wondering what everyone perfers...ponchos or umbrellas? We are going in August and Im familiar with the afternoon rain. My DH and DS are not fans of ponchos. I have very compact umbrellas but still not sure I want to carry those around in my backpack all day! What's your take?

I prefer an umbrella and my wife prefers a poncho. Also if it’s hot I’m not scared to just get a bit wet. I do have small children now and have learned pushing a stroller while holding an umbrella is nearly impossible.

Ponchos, including one for the stroller. Use it every time you park the stroller. just in case. You'll be glad you did.

Much easier to maneuver around crowds with a poncho than an umbrella! Buy cheap ones that you can toss after. Or bring large ziploc bags to hold the wet ones until you're back at the resort.

Disposable ponchos...then you don't have to deal w/ carrying around a wet poncho.

FWIW, the umbrella always sounds appealing to me but that would mean I would have to carry it around all day...the disposable poncho is smaller and lighter!

ETA...and water friendly shoes. Walking around in wet socks and sneakers makes me miserable.

A few years ago, we got light weight Eddie Bauer raincoats that fold up into their own pockets. Since I always have a backpack anyway, we just store them in there when not needed.

I use an umbrella sometimes, a Disney poncho sometimes, a cheap disposable poncho sometimes and a full length plastic rain coat sometimes, just depends on what the weather is doing. During the summer and fall, I always have a cheap disposable poncho in my pants pocket for those quick showers that pop up and end just as fast. I don't use them for any longer than 5 min. since they don't really cover that much and don't usually keep you very dry. If it's already cloudy when I'm leaving for the day, I'll take an umbrella. I have a small one person one that is in a matching cover that has a sort of handle on the cover that I can hook to a belt loop so no carrying required. If it's not cloudy when I leave but the forecast is saying it's going to be more than a pop up shower, I'll carry the larger stronger Disney poncho. If it's already raining and I know it's going to rain all day, I'll wear the rain coat since it has a hood and pockets and covers me from head to toe. I can walk around in the strongest, windiest rainstorm in that and not get wet, shake it out when I go inside and fold it wrong side out. It comes in a sort of carrying cover of it's own that can also be hooked on a belt loop. I don't carry a bag into the parks unless I have to do the Disney poncho or the raincoat then I'll wear a sort of runners waist pack to tuck them into. As far as carrying an umbrella in a crowded park, mine is really small, just enough to cover one person and I'm always very conscience of where people are and am careful about that. Frankly, if it's raining enough that you need one, the parks tend to empty out anyway.

I prefer neither -- I'd rather just get wet than deal with either one.

Since you're going in August, you'll be spending most if the time soaked in your own sweat. Being rain-soaked is a welcome treat.

If you really must have one, I'd vote for poncho. I've never been poked in the face because someone was careless with their poncho.

Last edited:
We prefer ponchos but the earliest we have been to DW is late Sept so I can understand the heat thing in Aug. I use a Patagonia hiking bag that has straps on the outside. I just roll up our wet ponchos and attach them on the back...worked wonderfully on our last trip.

I wear a high quality rain jacket. But if not, umbrella all the way as a poncho is a suffocating mess. It's not that hard to avoid poking or hitting anyone you just have to actually pay attention to your surroundings.

This is a hot debate lol.
I say ponchos. Hands free and they cover the majority of your body plus you can put your bag under so it doesn't get wet.
After its done raining I take it off inside out and roll it up and put it in the quart size zip lock baggie I had it neatly folded in. If there's more rain I take it back out and put it on the way I took it off so I don't get myself wet.
If there's no more rain I leave it in the bag until I get back to the hotel and then I hang it to dry overnight.

If your family doesn't like ponchos then they can carry their own umbrella. Problem solved for you.

I am %100 pro-umbrella. I find ponchos to be hot, unwieldy, and incredibly uncomfortable.

Umbrellas are much more comfortable and convenient in my opinion.

However, I am 6'2" and am able to navigate in a crowd easily with an umbrella. For somewhat shorter it would probably be a problem.

Both!

I like a poncho and an umbrella. I have a super small umbrella, perfect for one.

DH likes a poncho with a baseball style hat.

We took both on our trip in May (during the monsoon rain week). We used our raincoat for the windy rainstorms and the umbrella for the typical rainstorm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter