Pop Century Room Renovations

It looks the 50s areas will be the last to get renovated per post #2... Bowling Pool goes down in May as well, so I would stay 90s, 80s, or 70s for guaranteed renovation... 60s will be done soon.
We are going feb 27-March 4 and I got an email about the bowling pool being closed at that time as well.

We are here. Arrived this am, room not ready. I asked if we got a new room. I had requested 80's thinking that would be best odds. She said yes, but we will be in 90's, no problem. We went to MK, back to resort for break (DS1 slept, DS2 and I watched football), then off to dinner at DHS, back via food court for some cokes and back to room by 9:30. Resort seems very busy but then all the parks close early tonight. Guess Disney is moving towards the US hours.

We decided to opt out of housekeeping even though I'm still against it for the $30 (plus saved tip). With only 4 nights and mostly gone from room, seemed a better deal to take the money and pick up our own towels. Given how on most our trips the last year (I think 5-6 here at POP) they skipped us or neglected to refill our stuff ... we hardly were serviced anyway.

Someone asked awhile back about a gallon of milk fitting in fridge, YES. I have my gallon of Chickfila Tea with me; photo below.

SO DS2 and I talked about handling the goon squads .... and he was insistent that should I be here alone I am not to let someone strange in, should make them wait and call front desk. So as we were resting .......... sure enough there was a knock at door. I looked at him and he's not budging so I think here we go. I get up and look out window and see a little lady. Okay, I open the door. She asked for me by name ... oops what did I do? (well we know what I did but how did they know) .......... and she pulls out of a little box she is carrying an envelope, which had nice thank you card with gold embossed Mickey on it, and a pretty designed sachet type with Ghiradelli Chocolates. Why? We've stayed over 30 times at POP but not sure the magic number. Pretty sure 5-6 in last year. Oh well, it was a pleasant surprise.

Oh and while our longer trips we have decorated window but it's just us 3 for a short visit ...... I brought one of the Disney laser lights I got on clearance after holidays. We have bright Mickey heads spinning on our ceiling. Who needs a Royal room?

PS Our internet is AWFUL! Never had this much trouble with it before. Wonder what has changed.

IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0572.JPG

Last edited:
What a neat treat to receive that little gift!! Cool lights! Is the final pic of them on your ceiling?

Have a great trip!! Sorry we’re going to miss each other!

What a neat treat to receive that little gift!! Cool lights! Is the final pic of them on your ceiling?

Have a great trip!! Sorry we’re going to miss each other!

Yes, and they move in swirl motions getting lighter and brighter. It's those that people beam on the front of their houses, so if farther away there would be more. I'm so glad I still had them in the car. I had already taken my others inside house ............ Mickey fireworks with actual sound effects. Next trip.

We are here. Arrived this am, room not ready. I asked if we got a new room. I had requested 80's thinking that would be best odds. She said yes, but we will be in 90's, no problem. We went to MK, back to resort for break (DS1 slept, DS2 and I watched football), then off to dinner at DHS, back via food court for some cokes and back to room by 9:30. Resort seems very busy but then all the parks close early tonight. Guess Disney is moving towards the US hours.

We decided to opt out of housekeeping even though I'm still against it for the $30 (plus saved tip). With only 4 nights and mostly gone from room, seemed a better deal to take the money and pick up our own towels. Given how on most our trips the last year (I think 5-6 here at POP) they skipped us or neglected to refill our stuff ... we hardly were serviced anyway.

Someone asked awhile back about a gallon of milk fitting in fridge, YES. I have my gallon of Chickfila Tea with me; photo below.

SO DS2 and I talked about handling the goon squads .... and he was insistent that should I be here alone I am not to let someone strange in, should make them wait and call front desk. So as we were resting .......... sure enough there was a knock at door. I looked at him and he's not budging so I think here we go. I get up and look out window and see a little lady. Okay, I open the door. She asked for me by name ... oops what did I do? (well we know what I did but how did they know) .......... and she pulls out of a little box she is carrying an envelope, which had nice thank you card with gold embossed Mickey on it, and a pretty designed sachet type with Ghiradelli Chocolates. Why? We've stayed over 30 times at POP but not sure the magic number. Pretty sure 5-6 in last year. Oh well, it was a pleasant surprise.

Oh and while our longer trips we have decorated window but it's just us 3 for a short visit ...... I brought one of the Disney laser lights I got on clearance after holidays. We have bright Mickey heads spinning on our ceiling. Who needs a Royal room?

PS Our internet is AWFUL! Never had this much trouble with it before. Wonder what has changed.

View attachment 297100 View attachment 297102 View attachment 297103 View attachment 297104

Love the lights! I bought something similar for my son's room on clearance after the holidays. Didn't have room to bring it with us last week though.

Nice little gesture with the card and chocolates! I wonder what your reaction would have been if it had been a big burly guy holding that little gold mesh bag outside your door? LOL.

Yes, and they move in swirl motions getting lighter and brighter. It's those that people beam on the front of their houses, so if farther away there would be more. I'm so glad I still had them in the car. I had already taken my others inside house ............ Mickey fireworks with actual sound effects. Next trip.
how neat!! I’ve never seen the Mickey house lights. Something to look for next Christmas when we hop across the border. May I ask what store(s) you’ve seen it at?

how neat!! I’ve never seen the Mickey house lights. Something to look for next Christmas when we hop across the border. May I ask what store(s) you’ve seen it at?

Lowes carried them. They had about 6 different styles. We already had lasers on the house red, green and snowflakes (so much easier to plop 3 lights out there than all those little ones on the bushes and all.)

I ended up buying a small battery one for DS room, and the outside of Mickey heads, and the fireworks with sound effects but I'll use that inside. They can cover the whole front of your house.

This is one I brought with me and just balanced it in the box:
https://tinyurl.com/ybbc68bc

Still have some on clearance left ...
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Disney-magic-holiday/2863391248

Last edited:
Here now, stayed at LM AoA on Saturday night and moved to stay with my cousin at Pop 80's section on Sunday. She said the room originally assigned was in 50's, but they found a returned room to move her.
I really like the new rooms as they seem more relaxing. I still hear toilets and the like, but that is no different than before. I do wonder if most of the rooms have the modified HA features. I love the bar that pulls down if you need help standing from the toliet and the stand up shower. My sister cxan probably manage this style of amenities. I appreciate them greatly as I have fallen in tubs a couple of times.

Since my cousin did the no housekeeping when she checked in on Saturday, Sunday around 10:30-11:00, a CM stopped by to inspect the room. He verified my cousin's name and I told him she was in the bathroom, with the door closed between the beds and sink. He just asked that I leter know not to come out if she was not dressed when I let him in. He just did a cursory look at the room and went straight to the smoke detector to shine a light and left. He did not even concern himself with looking in the bathroom area.

I know some have been concerned with staying with the CM alone in the room, I just stood by the door with it still open. He was in and out in about 30 seconds. So, if they do have to do an inspection while you are alone and you are concerned, you can stand by the door with it open or step outside until the are done. Might not be great, but still manageable.

I'm now worried about the wifi in the room. I need to make my dining ADRs for our August trip one morning while we're there. Is the wifi only bad in the new rooms? Is it stronger in the food court?

We've never experienced bad wifi there before.

I'm now worried about the wifi in the room. I need to make my dining ADRs for our August trip one morning while we're there. Is the wifi only bad in the new rooms? Is it stronger in the food court?

Wifi was fine during my stay last week. Not lightning fast by any means, but it was stable and allowed me to surf the internet and make changes on the MDE app without any issue. I was in one of the renovated rooms in the 80s section.

When I was there in June, I had issues over in building 7 with Wifi and with general cell service ( I have T-Mobile). It was better outside of the building, and definitely better the closer I got to Classics Hall. But YMMV

It works but so much slower than before. I used to do lots of work while at POP unloading big files, not sure I could do now. Have had to refresh a lot. Hoping it’s temporary.

Thanks for all the WiFi comments.

In August, we were in building 5 poolside and we’re fine. Four devices running on WiFi with no problems.

Hoping for the best

We were in the 90s section last week and the wifi in the room worked really well for us.

Can someone on site say if building 5 looks anywhere near to opening rooms? We are around the same time that building 6 started opening some of the first completed rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter