Pop vs. Music?

We had just transferred over from a very disappointing week long stay at SSR and we couldn't believe how much better ASMu was in every way.

If you don't mind me asking what did you prefer about ASMu over SSR. We are currently deciding whether to stay at an SSR studio or an ASMu family suite. We need the kitchenette facilities for our son who has serious dietary needs. Was under the impression that the SSR would be a more "Deluxe" experience so am surprised to see your statement.

If you don't mind me asking what did you prefer about ASMu over SSR. We are currently deciding whether to stay at an SSR studio or an ASMu family suite. We need the kitchenette facilities for our son who has serious dietary needs. Was under the impression that the SSR would be a more "Deluxe" experience so am surprised to see your statement.

I can't compare to SSR, but I stayed in a Family Suite at ASMu last month and it was awesome. Having two full bathrooms alone was a huge plus, but the separate bedroom was great too. My friend snores like crazy, and we couldn't hear him at all in the living room area. The kitchen area is super tiny, but it does have a sink, microwave, coffee maker, and mini-fridge, and there are paper plates and plastic utensils all right there.

Thanks BrianL. The price for SSR and family suite at ASMu are almost exactly the same for when we are going. It almost seems counter intuitive to pick the "value" over the 'deluxe" especially since the ASMu is a Super 8 motel consisting of thousands of rioting teenagers (at least according to many reviews I have read on a popular travel site:rotfl2:) Should mention that I am being sarcastic before I get flamed.

Last edited:
Thanks BrianL. The price for SSR and family suite at ASMu are almost exactly the same for when we are going. It almost seems counter intuitive to pick the "value" over the 'deluxe" especially since the ASMu is a Super 8 motel consisting of thousands of rioting teenagers (at least according to many reviews I have read on a popular travel site:rotfl2:)

Well, I have looked at some room pics and SSR is definitely nicer and if you want to enjoy resort amenities then it is definitely better than ASMu. If you're a park warrior though, then really there would be little difference. The biggest plus is the two bathrooms (I cannot overstate how great that was) and the separate sleeping areas that greatly reduced noise. If those items are of no concern to you then stick with SSR.

Oh, and those reports are largely exaggerated. Sure ASMu has a busy pool area, but nobody was rowdy or anything. It's a more lively atmosphere, but a lot nicer than a Super 8.

Thanks again BrianL. We are leaning towards ASMu for the extra space, bathrooms.
I don't want to hijack this thread so I will contribute what I can for the original poster. We have not stayed at Music but have stayed at ASMovies and Pop. We prefer Pop and would even pay $400 more if we were going to be guaranteed a newly renovated room at Pop. Not sure if you have seen these. If you are travelling before all renovations are complete you can request a renovated room but no way to guarantee you will receive one. All the best in making this decision.
Should also add that in our opinion, the two properties are more similar than different. We prefer the theme of POP over the All Stars. However, we would choose a value over a moderate resort any day. We find them more fun and better value for our dollar as we are them park warriors. We have stayed at every level of Disney resort, btw.

Last edited:

SSR is a gorgeous deluxe resort, we just didn't find any Disney magic there. SSR is probably great if you don't plan to use the resort amenities after long park days, or if you don't plan long park days, or if you don't want Disney themeing all the time. Or if you plan to spend a lot of time at Disney Springs, but we don't It's huge and spread out so the buses took awhile to get you on or off property and the internal bus didn't come often enough to bother waiting for. We were fortunate to have a room very close to a bus stop, but it was at least 1/4 walk to get to the main building (there are walking trail signs so it's pretty easy to estimate distance). Half a mile round trip doesn't sound like much, but it's SO FAR after an 8 mile day in the park! We've never had so much walking on resort property. I was so disappointed. The gift shop is small with a limited selection. The CMs were kind of indifferent about everything. Then the hurricane came through and they didn't form lines in the lobby so there was no order to anything. We were stuck in town an extra few days and I think they offered a small discount on the room, but I think the studio was still going to be over $300 a night. So we transfered to ASMu because they had room.

There were 2 nice things about SSR - The Artist's Palette is probably the best resort QS restaurant, maybe one of the best QS anywhere. And the main pool was pretty cool. We were next to a smaller pool with a bar, but we didn't visit it.

ASMu on the other hand, is Disney magic in your face all the time, and that's what we want when we're down there. The atmosphere is just so much different. I loved the buildings, I loved the music coming out of the breezeways. We really enjoyed the food court and it wasn't a bad walk from any of the buildings. The pools are smaller than the deluxes, but they looked pretty cool. The guest laundry was convenient for the entire complex (I HATE going home with suitcases full of dirty clothes). They also have a nice, big gift shop. The beds are doubles rather than queens at SSR, but my husband said it was much more comfortable than SSR. I didn't notice; I can sleep anywhere but he has a bad back. I have read some reviews that say the studio rooms are small. We actually thought it felt roomy compared to a regular motel because the front of the room is bumped out a bit. We also really liked that the sink area had a curtain creating an additional area of privacy. It really just felt like a happy place!
The one downer to ASMU (which I might have mentioned before, I should have reread my post), is that the bus stops aren't covered.

If I didn't mention before, we usually rent DVC points and rent 2 bedroom villas. AKL is our favorite resort - for comparison value.

The All Star resorts RARELY SHARE BUSES. I think the bus service at the All Stars is better as the resorts are so much smaller there are fewer people fighting for space on that bus.

Even on the odd occasion they do share, the resorts are right next to each other. It is not a big deal, and adds maybe 5 minutes to the ride.

I've stayed at the Pop too, and I can tell you I can do a lot with an extra $400. To me the Pop is not worth it.

DITTO!!!

Pop also has 1,000 more rooms = more people in line for buses, food etc.

I have multiple stays in each of the values and Music is my favorite!

I'm curious-
Why is music so bad?

Not the poster you're asking, but for me it's the layout. I don't believe there are any standard room locations anymore in The Jazz or Calypso buildings. So even the closest standard room to the foodcourt/transportation will be a bit of a hike.

Not the poster you're asking, but for me it's the layout. I don't believe there are any standard room locations anymore in The Jazz or Calypso buildings. So even the closest standard room to the foodcourt/transportation will be a bit of a hike.

Thanks for this

I'm curious-
Why is music so bad?

- Layout is like no other with the food court/buses at one end and the standards at the other end. I don't pay for preferred at a value, or really anywhere, so after a few days get very tired of the long walks.

- The theme is, to me, tacky. I know they are all in your face Disneyana but that's just it, this doesn't feel Disney at all, it feels like a Route 66 cheesy motel. Broadway is boring, Country is tacky, Rock n Roll is fun I guess, but Jazz and Calypso are barely themed.

- The resort is DARK, very dark at night and when you are walking way to the back by the woods and big parking lots ... with not a CM in sight ... it's unnerving. Now, I'm a total city girl and have no issues walking around NYC or anywhere else in Disney late at night. I'm street smart and takes a lot to bother me. I don't feel comfortable at this resort.

- We have had only bad stays here with issues from 30 minutes just to get a cooked burger, to POLICE being called more than once to our building for adult behaviors, to bus issues ... and so last trip we ended up driving to parks, eating elsewhere and hunkering down in our room in evenings. But even driving we ran to car because in our lot were so many 18 wheeler trucks/trailers parked all week it felt like a truck stop.

If I'm not getting good Disney decor, walking forever in the dark, not getting good service and worried about safety ... I might as well save money by staying offsite in a much nicer hotel, with nice room and beds with better amenities. I have an AP so parking is free and for me the only real perk of staying onsite is the bus to MK and 60 day FP+. Certainly not much when you consider the hotel rates there. I have over 130 onsite stays so I do love doing it, but sometimes just not worth it.

There is a reason that hotel is always available and always less $. Every time I'm looking to book I can get it and it's around $10 less than Sports.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the Music is very pretty at night.:confused3 I've been in Broadway twice and never felt it unsafe. Though I typically do like to book preferred rooms at the values.

- Layout is like no other with the food court/buses at one end and the standards at the other end. I don't pay for preferred at a value, or really anywhere, so after a few days get very tired of the long walks.

- The theme is, to me, tacky. I know they are all in your face Disneyana but that's just it, this doesn't feel Disney at all, it feels like a Route 66 cheesy motel. Broadway is boring, Country is tacky, Rock n Roll is fun I guess, but Jazz and Calypso are barely themed.

- The resort is DARK, very dark at night and when you are walking way to the back by the woods and big parking lots ... with not a CM in sight ... it's unnerving. Now, I'm a total city girl and have no issues walking around NYC or anywhere else in Disney late at night. I'm street smart and takes a lot to bother me. I don't feel comfortable at this resort.

- We have had only bad stays here with issues from 30 minutes just to get a cooked burger, to POLICE being called more than once to our building for adult behaviors, to bus issues ... and so last trip we ended up driving to parks, eating elsewhere and hunkering down in our room in evenings. But even driving we ran to car because in our lot were so many 18 wheeler trucks/trailers parked all week it felt like a truck stop.

If I'm not getting good Disney decor, walking forever in the dark, not getting good service and worried about safety ... I might as well save money by staying offsite in a much nicer hotel, with nice room and beds with better amenities. I have an AP so parking is free and for me the only real perk of staying onsite is the bus to MK and 60 day FP+. Certainly not much when you consider the hotel rates there. I have over 130 onsite stays so I do love doing it, but sometimes just not worth it.

There is a reason that hotel is always available and always less $. Every time I'm looking to book I can get it and it's around $10 less than Sports.

Thanks very much for your in depth answer.
And wow!:sad1::sad2:

Maybe it was bizarre luck but I thought ASMu buses ran great when we went last spring. We only shared buses in afternoon for breaks and few people were on them. Timing worked great for us this trip and we had little to very little wait for bus. (10 minutes at most) Having stayed at a moderate before, I was so worried about staying at a value but we loved ASMu....so much so that my daughters asked for it again for our 2018 trip.

SSR is a gorgeous deluxe resort, we just didn't find any Disney magic there. SSR is probably great if you don't plan to use the resort amenities after long park days, or if you don't plan long park days, or if you don't want Disney themeing all the time. Or if you plan to spend a lot of time at Disney Springs, but we don't
Thanks sjellyj for the extensive response. Appreciate it! Definitely, leaning towards ASMu.

Thanks very much for your in depth answer.
And wow!:sad1::sad2:

I get my experience and opinion is extreme, and the resort has many fans or those who stay without care. I have just found by my own taste & experiences, and the structure of the resort that this one is not on par with the others, IMO. With so many choices I don't feel like I have to settle.

The plus is that there is something for everyone. :thumbsup2 And Music usually has good prices compared to others.

I get my experience and opinion is extreme, and the resort has many fans or those who stay without care. I have just found by my own taste & experiences, and the structure of the resort that this one is not on par with the others, IMO. With so many choices I don't feel like I have to settle.

The plus is that there is something for everyone. :thumbsup2 And Music usually has good prices compared to others.

Indeed-
Resorts
Restaurants
Rides

Wdw caters for all with many choices available.

-

I do not discount this experience at all and think it is important to share the potential downsides. However, my own experience has been different. I am small, female, and have poor night vision; however, I have never felt the least bit unsafe at ASMu during multiple stays.

I actually kind of wonder if being used to a big city that would cause discomfort with dark wooded areas. I grew up camping in undeveloped wooded areas and I'm sure that I would feel much less comfortable on the streets of NYC at night!

I have also stayed at both and found no difference in the rooms. What I did find was less crowds at Music as opposed to POP. You have to realize that POP has 1284 more rooms than Music which means more people standing in the bus lines, more people standing in line at breakfast looking for a place to sit down and eat, more people at the pool, etc. I just got back from a week at Music (11/13/17-11/17/17). Not once did we share a bus-a common misrepresentation from people who don't stay at the All Stars. Yes they do share, occasionaly, in the middle of the day when there are only 2 or 3 people waiting for a bus. Adds maybe 5 minutes to your trip. Big deal. Again, on this trip-never shared. In the past 10 years I have stayed at Music I can count on one hand the number of times we shared.
But I also found a difference in the Staff of POP and Music. Music's staff was warmer, friendlier and more accommodating than POP. The reason we will never go back to POP is primarily the staff. It may have been a fluke, but I don't go back to where I am not treated well. I also like the ability to walk between Sports and Movies, usetheir pools if I wish, use their dining, use their gift shops. If they have a better movie in the evening, it's just a short walk. This is one man's opinion. I have already booked Music for next year. 105 days to go.

while I love POP, i wouldn't turn down an extra $400. we have stayed at all stars and POP and i would gladly take the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter