Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach Resort

musicmom3331

Mouseketeer
I'll be booking 2 rooms. One for a family of five with small children, and one for two. If you had the choice between POR or CBR, which would you choose?

I'll be booking 2 rooms. One for a family of five with small children, and one for two. If you had the choice between POR or CBR, which would you choose?

We were big fans of POR until having to book CBR in order to get Free Dining years ago and we haven't been able to go back since. Both are lovely resorts, but we just prefer CBR. We feel the pool, food options, decor and overall laid back relaxed atmosphere are better at CBR. With the recent upgrades at CBR the gap has grown even more for us. There are less rooms at CBR so less people, every Village has it's own bus stop and leisure pool so you're never far from one and the rooms are larger.

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either but we happen to like CBR much more. And I will definitely be in the minority in this thread, but I'm used to it. :thumbsup2

I prefer POR. CBR was too sprawled out for me, and I didn’t like the theming. POR, I love everything about it.

I would definitely pick POR over CBR especially if you're visiting anytime soon. They've still got a lot of construction going on grounds torn up.

Normally I'd say POR, but if the skyliner is open, I would lean CBR. Having non-bus access to two parks, in addition to the Boardwalk is a game changer.

I would definitely pick POR over CBR especially if you're visiting anytime soon. They've still got a lot of construction going on grounds torn up.

The only construction at CBR right now is the gondola station and the construction on the Riviera resort. Both of these are just outside the resort, so there is zero impact to the resort. The new Old Port Royale and restaurant just opened, so its a good time to visit.

OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either. CBR is beautiful and the new layout and amenities are appealing to us. POR is one of our all time favorites, and we love the boat to Disney Springs. If you're going before the gondolas open, I'd lean towards POR. But if its after the gondola's open, I'd try CBR.

The only construction at CBR right now is the gondola station and the construction on the Riviera resort. Both of these are just outside the resort, so there is zero impact to the resort. The new Old Port Royale and restaurant just opened, so its a good time to visit.

This is not true. The grounds around Jamaica and Aruba are all torn up in conjunction with the Skyliner construction. It's a mess and causing a lot of aggravation.

It should be finished this summer.

We stayed at POR last summer and are excited to try CBR this summer. I've been following the CBR thread and it's true that they appear to have torn up a lot of the ground under the skyliner poles. I've seen some people mention they think it's to reinforce the ground in the event that emergency vehicles are needed. Not sure and I have no inside info. So if your trip is soon, you may want to avoid CBR for that reason. (Although a preferred room will guarantee you aren't in the area with construction.) That aside, I personally think the pool at CBR looks superior to POR's pool. It has a zero entry and a pirate ship area with smaller slides and a dump bucket for younger kids. POR's pool didn't have anything like that. (Although you can use French Quarter's pool, which does have a kid's area like that but it's a hike to get there depending on where your room is.) The new lobby and food court at CBR look great, and if the gondolas are up and running for your trip, that may make getting to Epcot and DHS quicker and easier. Just some things to consider.

Last edited:

OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either. CBR is beautiful and the new layout and amenities are appealing to us. POR is one of our all time favorites, and we love the boat to Disney Springs. If you're going before the gondolas open, I'd lean towards POR. But if its after the gondola's open, I'd try CBR.
We were just there in January and they started new construction near the skyliner. They had to tear up the ground and do some work. It’s not a pretty sight.

This is not true. The grounds around Jamaica and Aruba are all torn up in conjunction with the Skyliner construction. It's a mess and causing a lot of aggravation.

It should be finished this summer.

The grounds there may be unsightly, but what aggravation is it causing? Genuinely asking, not intending snark. Its my understanding there are no amenities out of commission like the prior construction, so IMO, it wouldn't be a deterrent for staying there.

The grounds there may be unsightly, but what aggravation is it causing? Genuinely asking, not intending snark. Its my understanding there are no amenities out of commission like the prior construction, so IMO, it wouldn't be a deterrent for staying there.

The CBR thread is probably the best source for aggravations that are being caused. Off the top of my head, I've read complaints about the noise and lights of the construction, early and late. It's unsightly and not in-keeping with the tranquil setting that they promote. It's unscheduled work (the grounds being torn up), so people booked without knowing about it.

EDIT: I just mentioning this, not a complaint and probably not a concern if you're going after May/June.

Last edited:
The CBR thread is probably the best source for aggravations that are being caused. Off the top of my head, I've read complaints about the noise and lights of the construction, early and late. It's unsightly and not in-keeping with the tranquil setting that they promote. It's unscheduled work (the grounds being torn up), so people booked without knowing about it.

EDIT: I just mentioning this, not a complaint and probably not a concern if you're going after May/June.
Some people have also said that they've added a third shift to the Gondola construction, so if you're unfortunate enough to have a room near it, then there is construction noise happening 24/7 now and for the foreseeable future until the project is finished. I think once it's all done CBR will be great with the transportation options, but I wouldn't book until I was sure all the construction was done just in case.

CBR used to be my favorite resort. No longer. Uprooted trees, cleared out vegetation, steel gondola supports, "views" of Riviera.
Go with POR. Still quiet and beautiful. Plus boat to DS. Easy walk to POFQ with its additional restaurants, lounge, shop, & entertainment. Guests of POR can also use the themed pool at POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter