Portofino vs. Hard Rock - Which would you choose?

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first trip to Universal this April and I'm having the hardest time deciding on an onsite hotel. Currently have a reservation at PBR for a Deluxe Queen room, but am wondering whether a similar category at the HRH would be a better fit for our family. DH is a musician, DS age 12 (into rock music) and DD age 9. FWIW, the room rate is the same between the two locations, so I'm trying to determine the pros/cons of each (room quality and amenities, pool, dining, etc.). My TA is recommending the PBR and to pool hop to HRH. What do you think?

Just some objective pros / cons to consider:
HRH is closer to parks; PBR is further away from Citywalk and the parks but still walk-able; both have water taxis
HRH rooms are a little "hipper", younger; while those at PBR are more "elegant" - some would call "fancy"
HRH is more compact with all rooms in one building - more hotel-like; PBR is more spread out - more resort-like
HRH has one quick-service, one "standard" all-day restaurant, one pool bar/restaurant, one "dinner-only" restaurant and one lobby lounge; PBR has one quick-service, one "standard" all-day restaurant, two "dinner-only" restaurants, a wine bar and a lobby lounge
Both have live entertainment at various times: HRH at the pool bar and in the lobby lounge; PBR has the opera singers
HRH has one pool; PBR has three pools
PBR has the spa

Choice is really personal preference but this may help you weight one more heavily than the other.

I would look at photos of both rooms and just decide which decor suits you better. They are both great choices. HRH is much closer to the parks if that makes a difference for you.

Take a look at the hotel stickies for visuals of the hotel

All hotel info in them can be very helpful

We all like one more than the others and what I prefer might not be what you want in the hotel

Agree with PPs comparisons. We've only visited PBH and never stayed because the theme just didn't appeal to us. The vibe of the place seemed "fancier" and more upscale. We love HRH and are staying in two weeks. As mentioned, it's closer walking distance to the parks and the whole vibe of the resort is laid-back, fun, lively. I think its great for kids because of that. Our room was spacious and we loved the Kitchen for breakfast and dinner.

Never stayed at PBR, but love HRH! I am biased - maybe the most enjoyable day of my vacation life was in August 2012 at HRH pool with a cabana and an open tab. 95 degrees, our frozen drinks never ran out, the live entertainment was fantastic. My DD did continuous loops around the slide and DS spent all day with the live pool games.

There may be videos out there of the men vs. women air guitar contests...women never stood a chance, lol!

We prefer HRH. So close to the parks. Awesome pool area. A big thing for us is no laundry machines at PB. Also, PB is very spread out and can be tougher to navigate.

We are planning our first trip to Universal this April and I'm having the hardest time deciding on an onsite hotel. Currently have a reservation at PBR for a Deluxe Queen room, but am wondering whether a similar category at the HRH would be a better fit for our family. DH is a musician, DS age 12 (into rock music) and DD age 9. FWIW, the room rate is the same between the two locations, so I'm trying to determine the pros/cons of each (room quality and amenities, pool, dining, etc.). My TA is recommending the PBR and to pool hop to HRH. What do you think?

If DH is a musician, go with Hard Rock. You can even borrow a guitar for the room for your stay, I’m pretty sure at no cost. It’s a really cool atmosphere. We spent a lot of our time in the room watching/listening to their music channels on the TV, way better than the usual music channels. Great music just walking through the halls.

Can’t find it on the website as just checked

At one time there was a deposit to “borrow” a guitar during your stay

There is an older thread in the trip report forums where a poster mentioned setting up a guitar rental for her child

I always loved HRH and stayed there for many past visits

If DH is a musician, go with Hard Rock. You can even borrow a guitar for the room for your stay, I’m pretty sure at no cost. It’s a really cool atmosphere. We spent a lot of our time in the room watching/listening to their music channels on the TV, way better than the usual music channels. Great music just walking through the halls.

Can’t find it on the website as just checked

At one time there was a deposit to “borrow” a guitar during your stay

There is an older thread in the trip report forums where a poster mentioned setting up a guitar rental for her child

I always loved HRH and stayed there for many past visits

You’re correct mac........there is a refundable $1000 deposit for the guitar rental.

Least that’s what it was just over s year ago.

I love all the rock memorabilia all over the walls at Hard Rock as well...as rock enthusiasts, we've spent a lot of time wandering and looking it over. That said, we've never stayed at Hard Rock, we prefer to visit and hang out there occasionally, but love the relaxing vibe of Royal Pacific.

Where ever you pick, I'm sure you'll have a lovely stay!

If I'd already booked it, I'd stick with PBR, just because it's on my list of places to try. I'd be excited to eat at the restaurants and just see the place, so changing wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.

But I have stayed at HRH, and loved it!! (I really wasn't sure I was going to - we booked late last time and kind of chose it by default.) I loved the great pool area, photo ops, and view of the park...but it was probably the short walk that absolutely sold me!

If changing stresses you out (like it would me) I'd say you'll be fine where you are! But if changing is nothing to you, I think your family would love HRH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!