Positive thoughts please-ups and downs p.42

No new updates. He’s been up and sitting in a chair for the past few days. He’s also started feeding himself too. The final challenge will be him walking and I think that’s still a ways away yet. I’m trying to get over the flu myself right now so that’s why I’m quiet.
Sounds like you are keeping your hands full. :)

Good to hear that he's still maintaining and moving forward. I hope you get over the flu quickly and easily. Take care of you.

No new updates. He’s been up and sitting in a chair for the past few days. He’s also started feeding himself too. The final challenge will be him walking and I think that’s still a ways away yet. I’m trying to get over the flu myself right now so that’s why I’m quiet.

Glad to hear Richard is still making progress, but very sorry to hear you have the flu! Sending get well soon thoughts your way.

Kim, you have been a part of this community for a long time and unfortunately it's your turn to have a thread that states a big concern in your life right now with lots of updates (very well appreciated by most of us I'm sure). So don't feel bad. What I like about you is you also participate in many threads here which personally reflects the real you which I like. So post away guilt free!

Hang in there girl!! :hug:

Well said Kitty!

Thanks everyone. I’m doing a bit better tonight. I think I’ve been living on the edge of my seat for three weeks and my body finally revolted. I spent most of today and yesterday sleeping and I feel a lot better.

Another first today, he was able to stand with a walker. He still hurts a lot but he’s starting to do more. My mom said she was talking to the nurses yesterday and they said they didn’t think he is doing as much as he is capable of. I wasn’t planning on going to see him tomorrow but my parents are coming over around 5:00, bringing dinner and then we’ll all go see him. It might be time for more tough love.

I have a feeling my parents are coming to dinner to try and talk me into putting up my tree and decorate the house. I really don’t want to but I know they mean well. Maybe we’ll compromise and I’ll decorate the house but not put up a tree. I feel like I can’t before my family comes back home.

They aren’t coming til 5 so I’ll get out of bed at noon and sweep and clean. Usually I’m beater but for the past three weeks (how has it been three weeks already) I’ve been very meh if the dishes sit on the counter for a day or two.

Thanks everyone. I’m doing a bit better tonight. I think I’ve been living on the edge of my seat for three weeks and my body finally revolted. I spent most of today and yesterday sleeping and I feel a lot better.

Another first today, he was able to stand with a walker. He still hurts a lot but he’s starting to do more. My mom said she was talking to the nurses yesterday and they said they didn’t think he is doing as much as he is capable of. I wasn’t planning on going to see him tomorrow but my parents are coming over around 5:00, bringing dinner and then we’ll all go see him. It might be time for more tough love.

I have a feeling my parents are coming to dinner to try and talk me into putting up my tree and decorate the house. I really don’t want to but I know they mean well. Maybe we’ll compromise and I’ll decorate the house but not put up a tree. I feel like I can’t before my family comes back home.

They aren’t coming til 5 so I’ll get out of bed at noon and sweep and clean. Usually I’m beater but for the past three weeks (how has it been three weeks already) I’ve been very meh if the dishes sit on the counter for a day or two.
I'm sure they're worried about you, too, but it's important for you to do what you need to do during this period of high stress for you. If the dishes don't make it into the dishwasher right away, or if the floor isn't swept, it's ok. (Maybe they could help you with that.) If I was your family I'd bring you a litttle lit tree for this year and call it a day! (I remember times we did that here as well.) I hope they don't start pulling boxes out and all that, lol! :faint: If you've been sick yourself along with tremendous stress, your body needs to REST!

Happy BDay to Chewy, too, please give him scratches from me. I'm glad your husband is doing better now. I'm sure he's wiped out, too, but the nurses there, I'm sure, have a better sense of what's going on with him than I do from here. I hope he's showering (or washing up, if showering isn't possible) and shaving, brushing teeth, etc., as that sometimes is the thing that brings people back to feeling human again during a long, intense hospitalization where they've been bed or chair bound for an extended period of time. (If people are depressed, though, sometimes they refuse.) Ongoing prayers to you both.

Happy to hear of Richard's continued progress and that you're starting to feel better. Hopefully you can get through to him that he is at the stage where he needs to work through the pain and discomfort so that he can reach the point where he is much more comfortable, the same way he balked at sitting up only to find he felt better once he did it. Could not be happier to hear of the positive momentum for you guys.

So glad to hear the positive updates! Take care of yourself and don't let your parents talk you into more work (with the decorations). I love Pea's idea of them helping with the sweeping and dishes!

It’s been slow but moving in the right direction for Richard’s recovery

He will improve and will recover faster once he is back home

Enjoy the evening with your parents

And pray your health gets better real soon

I am praying for your husband an hope he is home soon!

Reading this made me realize just how different things are in the States vs Canada. I live in a pretty small Southern city, but none of the hospital transfers that have happened would be going on here. All 3 of our hospitals have all the equipment needed to treat him in house. Every hospital has multiple MRI's CT's and at least one ECHO if not more. The orthopedic clinic I go to has in house MRI, as do most in the area. Every hospital has pretty much every specialty on staff. Some really specialized care has to be outsourced, like rare cancers, or neurological conditions they aren't equipped to handle. I didn't realize access to those things was so limited in Canada. I just assumed they had everything we do I guess.

Reading this made me realize just how different things are in the States vs Canada. I live in a pretty small Southern city, but none of the hospital transfers that have happened would be going on here. All 3 of our hospitals have all the equipment needed to treat him in house. Every hospital has multiple MRI's CT's and at least one ECHO if not more. The orthopedic clinic I go to has in house MRI, as do most in the area. Every hospital has pretty much every specialty on staff. Some really specialized care has to be outsourced, like rare cancers, or neurological conditions they aren't equipped to handle. I didn't realize access to those things was so limited in Canada. I just assumed they had everything we do I guess.

I'm not sure that's necessarily correct. I live in metro Detroit and when my father was receiving extensive cancer treatment an issue cropped up that required him to have a cardio surgeon operate. We took him to the hospital for the surgery and then afterwards he was transported by helicopter to the hospital where he was receiving his cancer treatment and had his cancer related surgeries. Both were major medical hospitals, both treated cardiac and cancer matters. My father's case happened to be so intricate it required the specialized care for different issues that doctors at each hospital provided in different areas.

We aren’t limited lol

I don’t know why he was transferred for his echo, maybe it was faster to get it done there? As for the surgery, I’m pretty sure it was because his ortho surgeon worked out of a different hospital. And, it’s not like he had to travel to a different city, we’re talking a 15-20 minute ambulance ride.

A trade off is that you have to pay whatever amount for insurance every month and will get a bill at the end of your stay. We just pay our taxes and don’t have to worry about going bankrupt for all this care he’s getting. Pluses and minuses to both methods.

Today’s update is that he was able to get into a chair by sitting on the edge of the bed, standing, pivoting to the chair, and sitting down. He still had people helping but it’s another improvement. One week ago I wouldn’t have believed we’d be at this point.

Also in Canada but a different province than Kimblebee and it would be the same here that it is where you are. Things are all in each hospital, they would be done at the hospital you are in, no transferring. Same as the USA, every place is different and you can’t assume what one persons experience is is the same as someone else in the same country.

Just to pass along a trick that worked with my DH. He had/has a stubborn gallbladder didn't want to come out. After surgeries and two hospitals, he was wiped out. To come home he needed to get back on his feet again. It's boring just to count to 30 and march in place or do leg lifts, so we put on marches from John Philip Sousa. PT went much faster. March a bit, leg lifts, toe taps, it all adds up. So perhaps some music might help when Richard is ready for the next level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter