Possible to park hop w/o a rental car?(long and boring post, but I really need help!)

AmyA

DIS Veteran
Here is the dilemma I have been struggling w/ now for the past few weeks. Background: 12 days at the CR in Sept, just DH and me. We were originally going to drive, but when SWA came out w/ their $39 each way fares from Nashville to Orlando, we jumped on those. So...we went from knowing we'd have a car at our disposal to having to struggle with that age old WDW question--to rent a car or use WDW transportation.

Here's the cost breakdown:

RENTAL
12 day rental from Dollar for economy car (using "entertain" code) = $298/including taxes and fees
12 days of valet=$72
valet tips (we do $2 for both ways) ~$75
grand total=$445

WDW transportation/taxis/Tiffany Town Car
Round trip to CR=$97 (passporter coupon and $10 tip each way)
Taxi fare to most places at WDW from CR=$15+tip each way
Use the (free) monorail to Epcot, walk to MK, and bus to our full days at MGM and AK

So here's the question (finally;) )--We actually have quite a bit of park hopping, plus a visit or two to the BoardWalk, PI, and DTD planned. Also, we have dinner planned at couple of resorts that are not on the monorail. So, is it crazy to think that we could get away with using WDW transportation with a few taxis thrown in for other resort restaurants? Or with park/resort hopping is it easier to just go ahead and rent the car? My friends who have been to WDW numerous times are split evenly on this one, so I need some more advice from you experts! Thanks so much!

You will probably get a lot of different opinions on this one. Some love WDW transportation others hate it.

When are you going? I am going in December for 10 nights and I have a Minivan rented with Dollar for the same price as your economy. You may be able to do better on that. I used the FISH code.

Do you have to valet all the time at the CR? We hardly ever valet and we are dragging 2 kids with us! I always feel that after walking at the parks all day, a few more feet of walking certainly won't hurt us. It is one way of saving money.

Here is my opinion on Disney transportation. It can be great. There are tons of people that report they only wait for 10 minutes tops for a bus. That was never the case with us.....especially when we had PS ressies we needed to get to. For us, I found we actually wasted an hour one way using the bus, which seemed to take almost 30 minutes each time just to arrive. Then they stop at different resorts/bus stops along the way. It was close to two hours a day dealing with WDW transportation. I would rather park in the parks parking lot and walk to the gates. We don't wait for trams either. Okay, we are an impatient family, I'll admit it! lol But I just can't stand waiting around for the right bus. Again, others love WDW transportation and have great luck with it. You just never really know until you get there what it will be like that day. Good Luck.

Lisa

Since you're pricing in valet with generous tips I suspect you're someone who values convenience. I think a fair comparision would be to assume a taxi to other resorts, PI and DD. As soon as you get much past 6 round trips the car rental gets cheaper. It sounds like you're already at 5 (2 resorts, BW, DD and PI) Very close. If you're thinking of off-site activities (shopping, Universal, SW) the car rental becomes a "no-brainer".

I travel all over WDW without a car and rely solely on Disney transportation or my own 2 feet and I find for the most part Disney transportation to be a finely run, well oiled machine that a lot of big cities transportation systems could learn a few lessons from!
When the parks are open they are usually the easiet hub to use if you are going from one resort to another, just hop on whichever resort bus you want. After the parks close DTD is a good hub to use since you can get to any resort from DTD. Since you are staying at CR you already have the big advantage of the monorail to MK and Epcot so that opens up those 2 areas plus MGM. All you have to do is get the lay of the land as to which method of transportation is available and where and it is a breeze to navigate WDW via Disney transportation.

We have done it both ways, but no more.....if you can fit it in your budget, IMHO, rent the car. Well worth the money!

RobinLyn:)

One thing I would ask myself is how tight is my schedule for what I want to do. You are there for 12 days. I usually take WDW transportation because I just don't want to drive while I am there on vacation.

The factors to me are:

Money: can I afford it
Time: each type driving and busses take time. Sometimes one takes more than the other.
How well do you wait? Would you just feel better knowing you are going to your car and driving there. Parking at the Boardwalk and MK can be a hassle.

One other factor for me is if I take WDW transportation and I can have 2 or 3 drinks instead of 1. Don't want to drink and drive.

This becomes a personal choice if the money is not a factor.

Good luck and have a great, magical and safe trip.

My sister and I went two years ago without a car. We took a cab from the airport (which cost about $40) to PO and stayed there for one night. We checked out the next day and spent the rest of our package stay at the Poly. We had absolutely no problems with WDW transportation. We hit all the parks and had no trouble making our dinner reservations. We made sure to try one nice restaurant at each park as well as DTD - it was great. I know a lot of people aren't always happy with Disney transportation - but it beats Chicago's public trans any day and you can't beat the fact that it's free!

We just got back from WDW and we drove and had our own vehicles. Once we arrived we rarely used them. We relied soley on Disney Transportation to get to/from the parks and DD and only experienced one wait of over 30 mintues. All other times it was around 15 minutes avg.

Originally posted by LisaR
I would rather park in the parks parking lot and walk to the gates. We don't wait for trams either. Okay, we are an impatient family, I'll admit it! lol But I just can't stand waiting around for the right bus. Lisa

Lisa,

You sound just like me! We stayed offsite on our previous trips and always had a car. I would park and skip the tram - no patience either. Also, I figured the more I walked the more I could eat! LOL!! Anyway, this time we are staying onsite and I have been struggling with the decision about a rental car. I have one booked and I think I will keep it. If I want to go somewhere, I want to go NOW, not when the bus takes me. I also don't want to go "there" to catch a bus to "over there". Plus, I have 4 kids ranging in ages 4 to 10, I really don't think I want to deal with the buses at night when they are tired and cranky.

I, personally, would rent the car and self park.. We have been going to Disney World for over 15 years and have always rented a car. I really prefer the freedom of controlling when and where I am going. I don't like to wait for busses, I prefer to park and walk if I have to.

All the resorts have self parking, if you cut out the 12 days of valet you would save almost 150 plus you could use your car to experience other parts of Orlando and possibly save money that way.

We've been to the world 6 times now and never rented a car. The last time it was just DH and I for our anniversary. We love the freedom of someone else driving us to disney (so relaxing) and once we get there, well, we're on vacation. We use Disney transportation. In fact this last time we had fun figuring out different ways to get somewhere and we did park hop. It's all about truely being on vacation and taking our time, not running here and there with a big schedule. We always gave ourselves plenty of time for our PS's and had no problems. We have to drive everyday so not driving is an adventure.

You might also want to check park hours. Depending on when in September you are going, the parks may be closing early. It may be worth it then to have the car to be able to do other things.

I'm for saving the $150 and skipping the valet. You'll walk all day at Disney, what's a few extra steps?

I also consider Disney Transport when making dinner reservations...

For example, when at MK, we have dinner at one of the monorail resorts.

When at Epcot or the Studios, we have dinner at Epcot or the Epcot resorts such as Beach Club or Boardwalk

When at Animal Kingdom, we have dinner at Rainforest or Downtown Disney.

I would never attempt to get to Old Key West from All-Stars, as it is not direct.

We usually go to moderate resorts for lunch from the parks, as that is a fairly quick ride, and a relaxing break.

Yes, all of these choices will usually mean a transfer at DD after dinner, but at least you've had a chance to relax at dinner before heading back to the resort.

We almost always end our evenings at Adventurers Club or Comedy Warehouse anyway, so that's not a problem.

Wow, y'all!
Thanks for all the great answers and ideas. I tend to be really impatient, so I guess even the possibility that we would waste part of our already shortened (due to short park hours) day on waiting for busses is going to drive me insane. I think i am going to take the advice of some of y'all--rent the car and self park. I guess I was thinking self parking was going to be a big hassle. Thanks again so much for all the help! I really appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter