Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

If I book a Southwest Flight paying in Dollars (not points) and the cost goes down - can I get that $$ back (even as a SW "credit")? How would I do that?
If you booked on their website, sign in to your account and locate your reservation (click on My Account to see your reservations). Select "Change flight" and continue as if you were booking a new reservation. Check the same date and flight originally reserved, if you are not changing that, and keep clicking "continue," till you see the "Air Itinerary and Pricing" page. There, you will see the current fare for your flight. DO NOT accept, unless that current fare is lower than your original ticket. If it's higher, either just close the page or go back. If it's lower, then accept. Your savings will be held as a credit to be used for future travel, which must be completed within one year from date of original purchase. Make sure that you keep a record of that confirmation number and amount of credit. You must know this to book your future flight for which you want to use that travel funds balance. BTW, only the person named on the original ticket can use that credit. There is no fee or charge for re-faring on Southwest.

I just checked into my Southwest Flight via mobile app, it says I'm checked in and gives me boarding details. However, on Southwest.com I'm still seeing the option to check in, I'm afraid that I'll get reassigned boarding if I click it? Any idea? I want to print my boarding passes.

I just checked into my Southwest Flight via mobile app, it says I'm checked in and gives me boarding details. However, on Southwest.com I'm still seeing the option to check in, I'm afraid that I'll get reassigned boarding if I click it? Any idea? I want to print my boarding passes.
Once you're checked in your boarding position is assigned. Clicking "Check In" in order to obtain your boarding pass does not reassign your boarding position.

Any time you open a reservation on southwest.com within 24 hours of scheduled departure, it will show the "Check-in" option, whether you purchased Early Bird Check-in, or already manually checked in on either the mobile app or website. You will not lose your boarding number by checking in again. When printing your boarding pass, there is a small number at the bottom left-hand corner When an "R" appears after the number, it stands for reprint. The "R" will be added if you have already been checked in - it won't affect anything at all.

Question for SW experts. Is round trip transportation usually cheaper when neither departure day nor return day is a weekend day? I currently have hotel reservations arriving on a Saturday, leaving the following Friday....round trip, from Midway to Orlando, arriving first Saturday in December. If I wanted the cheapest options flying, should I change my reservation to arrival and departure for days during the week? In other words, maybe arriving Orlando on a Wednesday, returning to Midway on the following Tuesday...still early December though...???

Question for SW experts. Is round trip transportation usually cheaper when neither departure day nor return day is a weekend day? I currently have hotel reservations arriving on a Saturday, leaving the following Friday....round trip, from Midway to Orlando, arriving first Saturday in December. If I wanted the cheapest options flying, should I change my reservation to arrival and departure for days during the week? In other words, maybe arriving Orlando on a Wednesday, returning to Midway on the following Tuesday...still early December though...???

Typically it's cheapest to fly on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. With that said, SW has analysts who determine pricing for popular flights and adjusts prices accordingly, so it's a possibility you could get cheaper flights flying outside of those days.

If you go on to the SW site you can look at flights a month at a time. It’s subject to what is available at the time you look but might give you an overview of possible trends if you look at a month as far away as you can.

You need to do this online, not on the app. Enter your cities, some departure and return dates. Initially fares for your dates will appear. On the top, right of the fare option is a box that says ‘Flexible Dates?’ If you click that it will show all flights for the month you’ve chosen.

Hope this helps

If you go on to the SW site you can look at flights a month at a time. It’s subject to what is available at the time you look but might give you an overview of possible trends if you look at a month as far away as you can.

You need to do this online, not on the app. Enter your cities, some departure and return dates. Initially fares for your dates will appear. On the top, right of the fare option is a box that says ‘Flexible Dates?’ If you click that it will show all flights for the month you’ve chosen.

Hope this helps

Great info, Thank you! I pulled up the month of October....and absolutely saw that at least at this time, it's clearly cheaper to fly on weekdays, v.s. weekends.

Great info, Thank you! I pulled up the month of October....and absolutely saw that at least at this time, it's clearly cheaper to fly on weekdays, v.s. weekends.
Yeah - that's not uncommon with the Southwest flights to Orlando :) Of course this can vary depending on the city pairings and time of year but given the number of people who go on Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun trips the weekday flights can often provide some savings.

I have a companion pass question for you experts.

DH has companion pass. I do not. Our daughter is listed as his companion. I have about 75,000 points. If I book flights for us using my points but enter in his RR number when putting in his passenger information, can I then use his companion pass to book my daughter?
Or-because we are using my points- are we unable to use his companion pass?
Thank you!

I have a companion pass question for you experts.

DH has companion pass. I do not. Our daughter is listed as his companion. I have about 75,000 points. If I book flights for us using my points but enter in his RR number when putting in his passenger information, can I then use his companion pass to book my daughter?
Or-because we are using my points- are we unable to use his companion pass?
Thank you!
As long as your husband has a “paid” flight of any type (points, voucher, cash, etc.), regardless of who is paying, he can add his companion to his flight after his flight is booked.

In the unlikely event that he’d ever have a flight booked as someone else’s companion, however, then he couldn’t add his own companion to the flight.

Does that make sense?

As long as your husband has a “paid” flight of any type (points, voucher, cash, etc.), regardless of who is paying, he can add his companion to his flight after his flight is booked.

In the unlikely event that he’d ever have a flight booked as someone else’s companion, however, then he couldn’t add his own companion to the flight.

Does that make sense?
Crystal clear! Thank you so much!

I am at Disney World now and know about RAC but am wondering do I check us in online and then RAC prints boarding passes? I have EBCI.

I am at Disney World now and know about RAC but am wondering do I check us in online and then RAC prints boarding passes? I have EBCI.

If you have EBCI, you will have your boarding passes delivered to your room on the morning of check-out. I believe that ours were there around eight o'clock. They also include what looks like your bag tags, but you they tore those off of my bags when I brought them downstairs and put the correct ones on, so don't bother wasting your time to attach them.

If you have EBCI, you will have your boarding passes delivered to your room on the morning of check-out. I believe that ours were there around eight o'clock. They also include what looks like your bag tags, but you they tore those off of my bags when I brought them downstairs and put the correct ones on, so don't bother wasting your time to attach them.
So, you didn’t do online checking?

I initially had a question about modifying our SW flights but I have since found the answer but didn't know how to delete my posting. :-)

Last edited:
I have a question about cancelling flights. I booked a flight on points. I may want to cancel it depending on weather, but I’m holding out till last minute.
What is the latest I can cancel and still be refunded my points? I’m reading conflicting things online and figured you experts would prob know best:)
Thanks in advance!

I have a question about cancelling flights. I booked a flight on points. I may want to cancel it depending on weather, but I’m holding out till last minute.
What is the latest I can cancel and still be refunded my points? I’m reading conflicting things online and figured you experts would prob know best:)
Thanks in advance!
Technically, Southwest states that cancellation must be at least ten minutes, prior to scheduled departure. I always say one hour, to be on safe side. Southwest has a practice of departing up to ten minutes early, if the plane is fully boarded and ready to depart. For points bookings, I think that no-shows automatically have the points deposited back into the RR account, originally charged.

I have a question. Not about a SW flight, but about the SW credit card. Hoping someone can answer it for me. I notice in the fine print it says “your points don’t expire as long as your credit card is open.” Does that mean I’ll lose whatever points I’ve earned if I close the account? I thought the points just transfer into my Rapid Rewards account and stay that. I don’t see anything in my RR account about points with an expiration date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!