Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I have a flight on 6/23 PVD-MCO that I would like to change to a PVD-TAMPA. I purchased early bird for the flight. Just wondering if the early bird would carry over to the new flight or would I lose it if I changed it. Ive made changes before but it was always the same flight, just changed to a cheaper fare. And I've read that as long as the reservation number stays the same, the early bird transfers over. I guess I need to know if changing the destination city would change the reservation number? Thanks
My understanding is that if you change your existing reservation from Orlando to Tampa and keep the same reservation number that you will also keep your EBCI.

If you cancel your existing flight and book a new flight with a new reservation number, you will lose what you paid for EBCI and need to repurchase.

A note, if you change flights and still keep your existing EBCI (scenario 1) something to keep in mind is that you will be considered a new EBCI puchase and get in line behind all those who have already purchased EBCI for your new flight. Hope this makes sense. If not, please let me know and I will try to clarify.

I have a flight on 6/23 PVD-MCO that I would like to change to a PVD-TAMPA. I purchased early bird for the flight. Just wondering if the early bird would carry over to the new flight or would I lose it if I changed it. Ive made changes before but it was always the same flight, just changed to a cheaper fare. And I've read that as long as the reservation number stays the same, the early bird transfers over. I guess I need to know if changing the destination city would change the reservation number? Thanks
As long as you keep the same confirmation number (CHANGE reservation, do not cancel), the EBCI will remain intact. Beware, however, that your place in line for a boarding number will be changed to as if you were purchasing a new ticket (not as good a boarding number as original flight). But, you will retain the EBCI on your reservation - it will not be lost.

Thanks everyone for all the useful info on this thread. I could use a little advice please:

1. My husband and I don't fly Southwest much because it doesn't fly out of our small local airport. However we are planning a trip from another airport (Little Rock, AR) to take our (then 13 year old) niece to Orlando in May. Southwest has a flight from LR to MCO at a good price/miles but our concern is there is only a 50 minute layover in St. Louis. As a general rule, we try to keep layover time to a minimum of an hour and usually a tad longer than that. The three of us are all pretty good at getting around fairly quickly so the issue would really just be if the departing flight was late although we would probably also want enough cushion time for a bathroom break too. I've searched online and have seen reports that 50 minutes is long enough at that particular airport (St Louis) but am just hoping for a little more insight if anyone were to have it.

2. We would also have checked bags and I have read that sometimes that can be an issue with a short layover with airlines getting the bags transferred to the connecting flight. Perhaps someone more familiar with Southwest than me has some insight as to whether that is something I should be concerned about with a Southwest 50 minute layover at a smaller airport such as this?

3. Also can anyone report experiences as to whether Southwest is pretty good at getting you on another flight fairly quickly if their delay causes a missed connection, especially at a smaller airport?

4. From this thread and other similar ones, I get the feeling many of you would recommend early bird check in. As long as either myself or my husband can sit with our niece we're not worried about the other adult sitting alone. Any recommendations as to whether EBCI would be appropriate for at least two of us? (Perhaps it would also be warranted for all three of us to help with sitting closer to the front to make the connection.) Not having flown Southwest in years, I don't remember the particulars of boarding and I was flying solo so it wasn't much of a concern at that time!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thanks everyone for all the useful info on this thread. I could use a little advice please:

1. My husband and I don't fly Southwest much because it doesn't fly out of our small local airport. However we are planning a trip from another airport (Little Rock, AR) to take our (then 13 year old) niece to Orlando in May. Southwest has a flight from LR to MCO at a good price/miles but our concern is there is only a 50 minute layover in St. Louis. As a general rule, we try to keep layover time to a minimum of an hour and usually a tad longer than that. The three of us are all pretty good at getting around fairly quickly so the issue would really just be if the departing flight was late although we would probably also want enough cushion time for a bathroom break too. I've searched online and have seen reports that 50 minutes is long enough at that particular airport (St Louis) but am just hoping for a little more insight if anyone were to have it.

2. We would also have checked bags and I have read that sometimes that can be an issue with a short layover with airlines getting the bags transferred to the connecting flight. Perhaps someone more familiar with Southwest than me has some insight as to whether that is something I should be concerned about with a Southwest 50 minute layover at a smaller airport such as this?

3. Also can anyone report experiences as to whether Southwest is pretty good at getting you on another flight fairly quickly if their delay causes a missed connection, especially at a smaller airport?

4. From this thread and other similar ones, I get the feeling many of you would recommend early bird check in. As long as either myself or my husband can sit with our niece we're not worried about the other adult sitting alone. Any recommendations as to whether EBCI would be appropriate for at least two of us? (Perhaps it would also be warranted for all three of us to help with sitting closer to the front to make the connection.) Not having flown Southwest in years, I don't remember the particulars of boarding and I was flying solo so it wasn't much of a concern at that time!

We flew SW from Des Moines to Orlando in 2016, with a connecting flight in St. Louis. All the SW gates in STL (and pretty much every airport, from what I gather) are right next to each other. You will walk off your plane, go a few yards, and be at your next gate. As to bathrooms, I'd suggest getting to your gate and then decide if you have enough time. As to getting your checked bags, when we were waiting for our flight to leave STL last time, the pilot specifically mentioned that we were just waiting for a few more pieces of luggage to get loaded before we would be ready for take-off. That made me feel better. As to your last question, if you have concerns about making the second leg and having time to go to the bathroom, I would definitely get Earlybird. It will give you a better chance of sitting close to the front on your first leg, which will get you off the plane quicker and give you more time to breathe before getting on your connecting flight.

Cheers!

We flew SW from Des Moines to Orlando in 2016, with a connecting flight in St. Louis. All the SW gates in STL (and pretty much every airport, from what I gather) are right next to each other. You will walk off your plane, go a few yards, and be at your next gate. As to bathrooms, I'd suggest getting to your gate and then decide if you have enough time. As to getting your checked bags, when we were waiting for our flight to leave STL last time, the pilot specifically mentioned that we were just waiting for a few more pieces of luggage to get loaded before we would be ready for take-off. That made me feel better. As to your last question, if you have concerns about making the second leg and having time to go to the bathroom, I would definitely get Earlybird. It will give you a better chance of sitting close to the front on your first leg, which will get you off the plane quicker and give you more time to breathe before getting on your connecting flight.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

We have flown with SW many, many times (they are are go-to airline 95% of the time) and I have had similar concerns to yours but now, would not.

1. Due to the nature of SW gates being a unique layout for boarding, all of their gates are close together. You will easily be able to move from one gate to another. I find SW flights leave ontime the majority of the time and they seem to build in a good cushion on the other end. We fly from Buffalo to MCO often and it's not unusual for us to land 20-30 minutes prior to our anticipated arrival time. You should have time and also have time for a bathroom break. I agree with @Iowamomof4 and would get to your next gate before going to the bathroom just to be safe.

2. Our baggage has always been moved between flights when we've had connecting flights. Again, since SW gates are close together this eases the transfer of bags. We once had flights only 40 mins apart and I was also concerned but we had ample time to get from one flight to the next.

3. I was once 4 hours late for a flight (!!!) when the Canada/US border was at a standstill. SW put me on the next flight (to a new airport) and then helped me find a connecting flight at the next airport. They did not charge me a penny for all of this. Not sure if this is normal but was my experience. I was more than impressed as in the end this error had nothing at all to do with SW but problems at our local border. (I have a feeling others before me had faced similar problems as the SW agents were well familiar with my story that day.)

4. EBCI is basically up to each person. If it's important that you or your husband sit with your niece then I would recommend purchasing it. Earlier this year I checked in at 24 hours (flying were myself and my then 8yo dd) but we were given mid B boarding numbers. I wasn't concerned but then when we boarded there weren't any 2 seats left together! They eventually found us seats together when people offered to move but I vowed after that that I would never put us (or other guests who worked just as hard to get early boarding numbers) so since then I have purchased EBCI for us. It's not worth the stress to me.

Hope this helps.

We have flown with SW many, many times (they are are go-to airline 95% of the time) and I have had similar concerns to yours but now, would not.

1. Due to the nature of SW gates being a unique layout for boarding, all of their gates are close together. You will easily be able to move from one gate to another. I find SW flights leave ontime the majority of the time and they seem to build in a good cushion on the other end. We fly from Buffalo to MCO often and it's not unusual for us to land 20-30 minutes prior to our anticipated arrival time. You should have time and also have time for a bathroom break. I agree with @Iowamomof4 and would get to your next gate before going to the bathroom just to be safe.

2. Our baggage has always been moved between flights when we've had connecting flights. Again, since SW gates are close together this eases the transfer of bags. We once had flights only 40 mins apart and I was also concerned but we had ample time to get from one flight to the next.

3. I was once 4 hours late for a flight (!!!) when the Canada/US border was at a standstill. SW put me on the next flight (to a new airport) and then helped me find a connecting flight at the next airport. They did not charge me a penny for all of this. Not sure if this is normal but was my experience. I was more than impressed as in the end this error had nothing at all to do with SW but problems at our local border. (I have a feeling others before me had faced similar problems as the SW agents were well familiar with my story that day.)

4. EBCI is basically up to each person. If it's important that you or your husband sit with your niece then I would recommend purchasing it. Earlier this year I checked in at 24 hours (flying were myself and my then 8yo dd) but we were given mid B boarding numbers. I wasn't concerned but then when we boarded there weren't any 2 seats left together! They eventually found us seats together when people offered to move but I vowed after that that I would never put us (or other guests who worked just as hard to get early boarding numbers) so since then I have purchased EBCI for us. It's not worth the stress to me.

Hope this helps.

It sure does help - thanks so much for the thoughtful & detailed response!

I have a question about SW travel credits. I have tickets on SW for December and have changed our flights once because the price dropped ($30 per ticket). Now I see that the price has dropped another $10. If I change the flight again, will I have two separate credits (one for $30 and one for $10) or will the credits get combined? I'm asking because IIRC you can only use a certain number of payment methods for a SW flight, so I'm wondering if I should wait to see if the price drops further before rebooking, so I don't end up with credits I can't use. (We don't fly SW much because their schedule from our home airport is usually pretty awful.)

I have a question about SW travel credits. I have tickets on SW for December and have changed our flights once because the price dropped ($30 per ticket). Now I see that the price has dropped another $10. If I change the flight again, will I have two separate credits (one for $30 and one for $10) or will the credits get combined? I'm asking because IIRC you can only use a certain number of payment methods for a SW flight, so I'm wondering if I should wait to see if the price drops further before rebooking, so I don't end up with credits I can't use. (We don't fly SW much because their schedule from our home airport is usually pretty awful.)

The credits will all be tied to that particular reservation number. So it becomes all 1 credit when you use it. Don’t forget tho that you must use it (not just book it) by the date you booked the original flight.

I have the same question. We have a RR account with our credit card points and the flights are so expensive this year we can't pay for 2 tickets. My other option is to transfer points from my account but I think there is a fee for that as well.

Can you still buy A1-15 boarding at the gate? I thought I read somewhere that something was happening with this, but I cannot recall....

Yes you can. DH traveled this past Sunday. Back in May when I made the reservations for him (using RR points) and three buddies (paid with credit card) I purchased EBCI for all four. When I checked them in the three paid in cash received A18, A20 & A21 and DH was B40. I didn't make any changes to any of the reservations if they went down in points or $. DH went to the boarding desk and purchased and received A3. Though even with that he was 6 rows back to get his preferred window seat. Buying EBCI won't be done by us anymore since we use points. A boarding passes seem to be a thing of the past for passengers using points and traveling to popular areas such as Orlando.

Does anyone know if you can purchase Rapid Rewards points with a SW gift card?

That is not allowed.
I have the same question. We have a RR account with our credit card points and the flights are so expensive this year we can't pay for 2 tickets. My other option is to transfer points from my account but I think there is a fee for that as well.
I'm not quite sure what your question is. If you are wondering if your RR points can be used for purchasing your ticket, only, that is not the case. Rapid Rewards points can be used to purchase a ticket for anyone you want. If there are not enough points for a roundtrip, purchase one way with points and the other with cash. It is not a good value to pay the transfer fee. The normal fee is one cent per point, unless there is a promotion running.

Last edited:
I'm looking at SW flights in early June. Historically, does SW have any major sales in January or February that might lower the prices for June flights?

I'm looking at SW flights in early June. Historically, does SW have any major sales in January or February that might lower the prices for June flights?
I've gotten a winter sale for summer flights before. So, it is definitely possible. But, even if they have one, your dates may or may not be included in the sale.

So, if you like the price, and don't book now, the price in Jan or Feb could be more. Or it could be less. Or it could be the same.

Good luck! Airfare these days really is a crap shoot.

First time I changed a flight for a lower fare and now have a credit to use. When using that credit to book a new flight, could I use a combination of points and travel credit? I might never end up using mine but figure hubs probably will when he wants to visit buddies in other states.

First time I changed a flight for a lower fare and now have a credit to use. When using that credit to book a new flight, could I use a combination of points and travel credit? I might never end up using mine but figure hubs probably will when he wants to visit buddies in other states.
No, unfortunately.

Points bookings can only be booked using 100% points.

If you’re paying with any form of cash (credit card, travel fund, LUV voucher, etc.), you cannot use points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter