Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

May 23rd is the release date of Nov and Dec fares??:confused: Jet Blue just released theirs early morning I believe. It is difficult if you want to travel during the Holidays and have to "gamble" that SW will be lower.:eek: Oh, what to do! Wish SW would release fares earlier than that!

Have any of you booked a one way / one stop flight to destination B that connects through destination A and then not get on the connecting flight because destination A was your actual destination?

Southwest flights direct to Chicago (destination A) are expensive but flights to other cities that connect through Chicago are much cheaper.

It is a one way flight (we are driving back) and there will be no checked bags.

Last edited:
Having any of you booked a one way / one stop flight to destination B that connects through destination A and then not get on the connecting flight because destination A was your actual destination?

Southwest flights direct to Chicago (destination A) are expensive but flights to other cities that connect through Chicago are much cheaper.

Haven't done it since 911. But in the past it was fine. Maybe call the airline and ask.

Have any of you booked a one way / one stop flight to destination B that connects through destination A and then not get on the connecting flight because destination A was your actual destination?

It's called Hidden City Ticketing. Most airlines now have rules against it, though, like many questionable practices, I don't believe that Southwest has any.

However, if you do not want to fly the continuing or connecting flight to your ticketed final destination, notify the agent at the gate of the next flight that you will not be boarding. If you would normally earn points for the flight, don't count on any, unless you continue to the final destination of the booking.

Due to the 737 Max 8 aircraft being grounded, Southwest is canceling about 3.25% of their flights, due to an aircraft shortage. Canceled flights not only are those scheduled to be flown with a Max aircraft; some aircraft are being reassigned to flights that were to be flown with the Max. Customers are very upset. They are being told, in some instances, that their flight was canceled due to a "maintenance issue."

Some recent cancellations have been the day before date of travel. Southwest now says that they will cancel with a five day notice. Unfortunately, coming into peak travel season, there will be very few open seats, booking five days in advance.

With no end in sight, Southwest began ferrying the 737 Max 8 aircraft to the Mojave Desert on Saturday, to wait it out.

For those with upcoming Southwest flights, don't assume your flight will operate, since it was not scheduled with a 737 Max 8. This is a very unfortunate situation, which is not Southwest's fault.

Last edited:
It's called Hidden City Ticketing. Most airlines now have rules against it, though, like many questionable practices, I don't believe that Southwest has any.

However, if you do not want to fly the continuing or connecting flight to your ticketed final destination, notify the agent at the gate of the next flight that you will not be boarding. If you would normally earn points for the flight, don't count on any, unless you continue to the final destination of the booking.
Thanks. The trip would be booked with Travel Funds so not sure if I would be getting points anyway. The only drawback I can see if for some reason they changed the route or canceled the flight.

Question

I have changed my flight once because we are flying back a day earlier. I looked at it today and I can get a $20 bc price dropped. Can I chose it as a price drop and get the credit? Can I use the credit to add early bird?

Thanks

Due to the 737 Max 8 aircraft being grounded, Southwest is canceling about 3.25% of their flights, due to an aircraft shortage. Canceled flights not only are those scheduled to be flown with a Max aircraft; some aircraft are being reassigned to flights that were to be flown with the Max. Customers are very upset. They are being told, in some instances, that their flight was canceled due to a "maintenance issue."

Some recent cancellations have been the day before date of travel. Southwest now says that they will cancel with a five day notice. Unfortunately, coming into peak travel season, there will be very few open seats, booking five days in advance.

With no end in sight, Southwest began ferrying the 737 Max 8 aircraft to the Mojave Desert on Saturday, to wait it out.

For those with upcoming Southwest flights, don't assume your flight will operate, since it was not scheduled with a 737 Max 8. This is a very unfortunate situation, which is not Southwest's fault.

We have a flight at the end of April. Should I call and ask or would they not know right now?

Question

I have changed my flight once because we are flying back a day earlier. I looked at it today and I can get a $20 bc price dropped. Can I chose it as a price drop and get the credit? Can I use the credit to add early bird?

Thanks
You can rebook and get the credit. But for whatever reason, you can't use it to add EBCI.

I was supposed to fly out Sunday morning and just found out this morning that my flight was canceled. I had almost no options for the same day and ended up changing to the day before and am now out additional hotel costs.

What do I do about ME? Can I still use the same tags? I’ll be arriving 12 hours earlier? Not sure if I need to call, or what.

We have a flight at the end of April. Should I call and ask or would they not know right now?
You can certainly try to be proactive and call. They are supposed to notify people, but by the time you are notified, there may not be much choice available. I honestly have not seen anywhere how far in advance they are modifying their schedules.

I can suggest that you check the model of aircraft being used for your flight. You can do this by going on the website, as if you were booking a new reservation for your date and flight. Click on the blue hyperlink flight number on the page of available flights. A box will open, that will display the type of aircraft for the flight. If it shows 737-700, there is less of a chance that your flight will be cancelled and used for a different flight; if it's a 737-800, there is a slight chance of cancellation, as the seating capacity is the same as on the grounded 737 Max 8 aircraft and a candidate for a swap of flights.

I was supposed to fly out Sunday morning and just found out this morning that my flight was canceled. I had almost no options for the same day and ended up changing to the day before and am now out additional hotel costs.

What do I do about ME? Can I still use the same tags? I’ll be arriving 12 hours earlier? Not sure if I need to call, or what.
You are fine. Just call them at (866) 599-0951 to advise them of your change. I presume you have the same resort confirmation number.

At the worst case, you may need to not attach the yellow tags, but just hand the CM at ME check-in line your airline bag tags. They will make sure your bags are collected and delivered to your resort.

Last edited:

WOW! That sucks! I'm so sorry this is happening to people and I REALLY hope things settle down by the time we have our trip in May. :(

Our flight on April 14 showed up as completely sold out the other day. Checked flight and it shows 737-800. Ugh only flight of the day with the 800. Wondering if I should call to see if I can get it switched. It looks like any flight with 800 is showing sold out.

Our flight on April 14 showed up as completely sold out the other day. Checked flight and it shows 737-800. Ugh only flight of the day with the 800. Wondering if I should call to see if I can get it switched. It looks like any flight with 800 is showing sold out.

I believe an 737-800 flight does not mean it is a MAX 8 aircraft, if I recall correctly.

I think they are able to see 5-7 days ahead for possible cancellation. Even if it's the 800 series (not Max 8), due to aircraft swap, there is a very slight chance of cancellation. I'm sure that Southwest would be glad to check and give you whatever info is available.

Due to time of year, cancellations, and smaller fleet, many flights are "sold out."

My flight is on April 30 and was originally on a Max, but then switched to a 737-800. A few days ago, it was listed as "sold out" across the board, but as of today, it's bookable again. So, I'm pretty confident that it won't get cancelled.

I believe an 737-800 flight does not mean it is a MAX 8 aircraft, if I recall correctly.

I had been under that impression too, but my understanding is that a 737-800 is not a 737 MAX 8. 737-800's are still flying.

I also hear that Boeing has a software upgrade about ready to go that should address the issue, so hopefully the grounding will end sooner than later. I don't think the incident in Orlando last night is related as that was more an engine issue, so that shouldn't delay things further.

Just tried to reprice my flight to get a $50 credit and I got an error code. It just said cannot choose this flight at this time. Flight is at the end of April and not on max 8 Has anyone experienced this before?

edit-i got it to work!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter