Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

IF it was cancelled after March 1st. If it was cancelled before that, no extension.

I just want to make sure that I understand what I'm doing correctly...I am planning on canceling my August flight today because we have decided we are not comfortable traveling with our baby. Since our flight falls within the window of travel fund extension, we should expect our TFs to extend to Sept 2022. Is that correct? I also figure there is not much point to wait to see if they change our flight or anything in hopes that we can a refund instead since we bought using GCs. Our money is locked up with SW either way.

I just cancelled 3 flights yesterday around 3pm. Some of the funds expire in August 2020. I checked a few hours after the changes and the funds still expired in August 2020. I checked this morning and they changed to Sep 2022. I guess it takes a little bit for the changes to go through.

Mine were extended this morning! So, it took a day for mine.

Thanks!

I also figure there is not much point to wait to see if they change our flight or anything in hopes that we can a refund instead since we bought using GCs. Our money is locked up with SW either way.
Just FYI, SW gave me full refunds (including Early Bird fees) without me even asking on any flight that had been switched or rescheduled by them. Customer Service did say it would take up to 30 days to show up on my CC. I think the only flights I didn't get full cash refunds for were flights I booked using travel funds prior to this mess happening. However, those funds were automatically extended to Sep 2022.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of situation with old and new funds with COVID-19 policy. I've been reading SW's policy and not sure where DH's situation falls.

DH had $50 in travel funds set to expire in mid-September 2020. On April 19 he booked a flight for August 2020 and used those funds towards the full price. DDs and I are flying to MCO 2 days earlier on a different airline. It turns out he can take the two extra days off work and wants to join us on our earlier flight which is direct (unlike his which has an ATL layover). If we cancel his August flight, will his travel funds expire in September 2020 or will he fall into the eligibility of September 2022?

(Edited for clarity :) )

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of situation with old and new funds with COVID-19 policy. I've been reading SW's policy and not sure where DH's situation falls.

DH had $50 in travel funds set to expire in mid-September 2020. On April 19 he booked a flight for August 2020 and used those funds towards the full price. DDs and I are flying to MCO 2 days earlier on a different airline. It turns out he can take the two extra days off work and wants to join us on our earlier flight which is direct (unlike his which has an ATL layover). If we cancel his August flight, will his travel funds expire in September 2020 or will he fall into the eligibility of September 2022?

(Edited for clarity :) )

I'm not the expert, but from my experience, since the travel fund already existed before COVID, the expiration date will remain Sept 2020.

I had some existing travel funds that kept their original expiration date. Here's what I did which worked.

I booked a flight using that travel fund for May and then cancelled it. It now had a new travel fund number, same expiration date. The next day, it was extended until Sept 2022. It took a day for the extension.

Not sure that is correct. I used LUV vouchers dated 2/8/20 to purchase a RT flight for my DD for June. Cancelled the flight & now the travel funds have the extended expiration date even though the original LUV vouchers were issued prior to COVID. Since the flight for which you used the TFs fall within the extension time frame, I think you will get the extended expiration date. I would ask this question through SWA's FB page. That appears to get the quickest response.

I booked a flight using that travel fund for May and then cancelled it. It now had a new travel fund number, same expiration date. The next day, it was extended until Sept 2022. It took a day for the extension.

Do you mind answering a few questions for me? I just want to be clear about this before I go to any trouble.

1 Did you have to book your May ticket within a certain date window?
2 Did you have to cancel your ticket within a certain date window?
3 Is the fact that your trip was within a certain date window a factor?

My situation is that I had funds that were created for my husband and I in Sept. 2019. I had a flight for my husband in Feb. I had one for me in March. The Feb. trip(hubby) was canceled just a few days before the flight. My March trip was not canceled until March. We then re-booked on the same flight for September, but I'm not sure we will be able to fly then, but I don't want to cancel today if there is a small chance we can take that flight because our flight is super cheap.

I would do it, if I knew I could get the extension, but from my reading, I'm not sure it will work for me.

Can you or anyone else help me?

I'm not the expert, but from my experience, since the travel fund already existed before COVID, the expiration date will remain Sept 2020.

I had some existing travel funds that kept their original expiration date. Here's what I did which worked.

Not sure that is correct. I used LUV vouchers dated 2/8/20 to purchase a RT flight for my DD for June. Cancelled the flight & now the travel funds have the extended expiration date even though the original LUV vouchers were issued prior to COVID. Since the flight for which you used the TFs fall within the extension time frame, I think you will get the extended expiration date. I would ask this question through SWA's FB page. That appears to get the quickest response.
Thanks! I was hoping since the booking was made in April that it might fall into the period of time to make it eligible for the extension. I don't have FB, but maybe I'll try Twitter or give them a call.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. We have flights 6/7 to 6/13 MDW to MCO. Today I see that I can change the flight for no fee up to 7/7 to 7/13. We are looking to go 7/26-7-31 as that is the only time for me to take off work. Is there a way to get the no fee for the dates I need?

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. We have flights 6/7 to 6/13 MDW to MCO. Today I see that I can change the flight for no fee up to 7/7 to 7/13. We are looking to go 7/26-7-31 as that is the only time for me to take off work. Is there a way to get the no fee for the dates I need?

SWA doesn't charge fees. They only charge the difference in price. Is that what you mean?

SWA never actually charges a change fee per se. You can cancel your flight and use the travel funds to book any available flight BUT you will have to pay the prevailing fare for the new flight. What the SWA website is referring to is changing your flight with no change in fare. They only give you a limited window for that.

Yes, there is right now. It will be a two-step process. As this option is not always available, I suggest doing this immediately, while the functionality is there to change your dates, without any additional cost (normally there would be a fare difference, only, as there are no change fees at Southwest).

First, change both flights under the restrictions of the no change in fare guidelines, which currently allows to change the date 30 days, either way, from your current dates. After you confirm the changes, you will receive a confirmation email. Then open that same reservation, that you just changed, and again select "change." You will now be allowed to change the dates within a new 30 day window, with no change in fare; that will allow you to move your travel dates to late July. When you look at the selection of available flights, during the change process, the no additional fare flights are tagged as "available." If you see a fare listed for a flight, that flight is not eligible for no additional cost.

Yes, there is right now. It will be a two-step process. As this option is not always available, I suggest doing this immediately, while the functionality is there to change your dates, without any additional cost (normally there would be a fare difference, only, as there are no change fees at Southwest).

First, change both flights under the restrictions of the no change in fare guidelines, which currently allows to change the date 30 days, either way, from your current dates. After you confirm the changes, you will receive a confirmation email. Then open that same reservation, that you just changed, and again select "change." You will now be allowed to change the dates within a new 30 day window, with no change in fare; that will allow you to move your travel dates to late July. When you look at the selection of available flights, during the change process, the no additional fare flights are tagged as "available." If you see a fare listed for a flight, that flight is not eligible for no additional cost.
Thanks. I thought that might work but it is good to get conformation.

Thanks. I thought that might work but it is good to get conformation.
It sometimes will not have the no change window open out far enough to allow the new dates you want. I think you can currently go out as far as early September, in this process (at least it was, the last time I looked).

Let us know how it worked out.

BTW, you can also change the actual flight, in case you want earlier or later times.

I was hoping I might also have a red flag this morning for our June 7th flight to MCO now that I see resort reservations are starting to be canceled, but no luck so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter