Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I was hoping I might also have a red flag this morning for our June 7th flight to MCO now that I see resort reservations are starting to be canceled, but no luck so far.
Have you checked the current fares to MCO? If you are looking at July or August, there are some very low fares, right now. You can try just checking fares for new dates, without actually changing, until you confirm the change. The fare for your new date may actually be less, than the original.

It sometimes will not have the no change window open out far enough to allow the new dates you want. I think you can currently go out as far as early September, in this process (at least it was, the last time I looked).

Let us know how it worked out.

BTW, you can also change the actual flight, in case you want earlier or later times.
It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Piggy backing on the change flight questions- we have reservations 7/27-8/1. Obviously we have concerns about going down in July and are just waiting for Disney to announce their plans for opening. When Southwest opens up next Thursday (hopefully) could we modify the July flights to new reservations for November or is that too far out?I know I will pay the difference if the flight is more. (I know we can cancel flights and use travel funds but it would a heck of lot easier to just modify than enter all new info.

You can (and always could) modify your flight to any other open flight on the schedule as long as you understand the possibility of a fare increase, or with a little luck, decrease!

Have you checked the current fares to MCO? If you are looking at July or August, there are some very low fares, right now. You can try just checking fares for new dates, without actually changing, until you confirm the change. The fare for your new date may actually be less, than the original.
Yes and they are the same as long as we book at least 2 weeks out. Was waiting to see when the official opening date is announced and might not have that 2 weeks notice. I'll try to be patient but hope after Universal's announcement today, WDW won't be far behind.

UPDATE: WDW Park hours have been removed from the web site so took that as confirmation parks won't be open yet. Just slid our DVC reservation to the next week and was able to also slide our SW reservations as well. Even without a red flag, I received the following message when changing flights:

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be the same as originally booked
  • Arrival airport must be: Orlando, FL - MCO (the same as originally booked)
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

Last edited:
Here's your friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur one week from today on THURSDAY, May 28th!. For those planning to snag flights, set those calendar reminders so you don't forget!
  • Currently SW is offering flights through 10/30/20 and this next release will take their schedule out to 1/4/21. This release will obviously cover the major holidays and prices may increase quickly for popular dates (although who knows what this release will look like in our COVID-19 landscape) . I'll try to post additional reminders as the date draws nearer.
For those that care about "release timing" it's been all over the board recently (all times Eastern):
  • The release on 3/12/20 went live at 9:40am.
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.

Even without a red flag, I received the following message when changing flights:

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be the same as originally booked
  • Arrival airport must be: Orlando, FL - MCO (the same as originally booked)
I believe that the red banner pops up on the app, while a gray message with your above-posted info appears on the full site, once you initiate the change process. As I recall, May, June, July, August, and possibly very early September have the change option available.

Glad you were able to accomplish what you wanted,

Limited snack and beverage service return to most flights, effective Friday, 05/22/2020.

Starting May 22, we will begin serving cans of water with straws, and a snack mix on flights over 250 miles. Cups and ice will be available upon request. For all other flights, snack and beverage service is still temporarily suspended to limit Customer and Flight Attendant interactions.

The snack mix will include options like ranch bagel chips, pretzels, and cheddar cheese squares, they confirmed. No beverages, other than water, will be served, so coupons will not be accepted, for the time being.

Last edited:
Limited snack and beverage service return to most flights, effective Friday, 05/23/2020.

The snack mix will include options like ranch bagel chips, pretzels, and cheddar cheese squares, they confirmed. No beverages, other than water, will be served, so coupons will not be accepted, for the time being.
Good timing I am flying Saturday

So, the return of snacks and water means that there will be fewer face coverings being used during the flight, unless pax find a way to slide a straw or snacks under their mask.
😷🥤🍘

? Anyone receive those Extra Free miles SW said they were giving out to their a rewards customers? Just realized, haven’t seen them. Tia

I thought it was both actually. I’ve seen no change in mine??
If you're talking about the 15,000 towards A-list and 25,000 towards Companion it's just Tier qualifying but doesn't actually add to the points in your RR account that can be used towards purchasing of flights and other things.

Since people can't fly much it can be quite hard to get there to get A-List or Companion so they gave a boost (though probably not enough honestly given how long we've been experiencing issues already this year).

I haven't flown at all this year (was supposed to but couldn't) and I don't have much activity on earning points at the moment (other than 25points that was from keeping my Survey account active with SWA because my flights last year were paid for by points from my husband's account or my husband's company).

This is my account:

You can see where SWA added those Tier qualifying points which are not applicable to my RR Total Points available.

Check to see if those Tier qualifying points were added onto your account without paying attention to the Total Points available part.

Here's your friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur one week from today on THURSDAY, May 28th!. For those planning to snag flights, set those calendar reminders so you don't forget!
  • Currently SW is offering flights through 10/30/20 and this next release will take their schedule out to 1/4/21. This release will obviously cover the major holidays and prices may increase quickly for popular dates (although who knows what this release will look like in our COVID-19 landscape) . I'll try to post additional reminders as the date draws nearer.
For those that care about "release timing" it's been all over the board recently (all times Eastern):
  • The release on 3/12/20 went live at 9:40am.
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.

Sooo excited! I am a bit worried, because I've never traveled during holiday season so I fear I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to cost. We normally get our flights to MCO for around 15k points each, but I have a feeling we may have to shell out double the points because we're flying so close to Christmas. Fingers crossed it's not too bad!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of situation with old and new funds with COVID-19 policy. I've been reading SW's policy and not sure where DH's situation falls.

DH had $50 in travel funds set to expire in mid-September 2020. On April 19 he booked a flight for August 2020 and used those funds towards the full price. DDs and I are flying to MCO 2 days earlier on a different airline. It turns out he can take the two extra days off work and wants to join us on our earlier flight which is direct (unlike his which has an ATL layover). If we cancel his August flight, will his travel funds expire in September 2020 or will he fall into the eligibility of September 2022?

(Edited for clarity :) )
Just to follow up in case anyone is in a similar situation - DH's funds were converted to the 2022 date after I canceled. I had originally paid with travel funds (expiration mid-Sept 2020) and a gift card.

It took SW one day to update the travel funds with the new date. So with mixed funds, SW is extending if booked within the time frame after COVID-19 started. Very generous policy!

Did Southwest remove the mask requirement? I was just reviewing their COVID update on their website, and I see the addition of bottled water & snack bag, but no mention of face coverings?:confused3

Did Southwest remove the mask requirement? I was just reviewing their COVID update on their website, and I see the addition of bottled water & snack bag, but no mention of face coverings?:confused3
No, the face covering requirement was not removed. This was just copied from Southwest’s website:
Customers are required to wear a face covering in the airport and on the plane. Customers will be required to wear a face covering in order to board the plane beginning May 22. If you forget your face covering at home, a mask will be available for you.

Acceptable forms of face coverings
In accordance with the current CDC guidance, any well-secured cloth or mask that covers your nose and mouth will be accepted.

Exemptions to face coverings
  • Young children who may not be able to keep a face covering on.
  • Customers who have a disability or underlying medical condition that may prevent them from being able to wear a face covering.
  • Anyone who has trouble breathing, is incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the face covering without assistance.
When we expect Customers to wear face coverings
In accordance with the current CDC guidance, Customers will be required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth at all times during their Southwest travel experience—while checking in, boarding, inflight, deplaning, retrieving baggage; and any other time they may engage with a Southwest Employee or another Customer. Customers will be required to wear a face covering in order to board the plane beginning May 22.

There may also be times when a Customer needs to temporarily remove their face covering, for instance, to eat or drink. However, we expect Customers to put their face covering back on as soon as possible.

Customers should also remove face coverings if a decompression event occurs and they are asked to use an oxygen mask, or in the event a Customer is supporting an onboard emergency, like performing CPR.

All of this info was pulled from their site just now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter